Funny how life can change in a week

SHOCK

Woy thats a madness, u must feel on top of the world

Things like that can get over sticky though

Similiar thing happened in my family where the grandma left a house and money between a brother and sister. THeyve stopped speaking now because noone could agree and the brother got greedy and tried to skank the house. They ended up selling it and aint spoke since (been couple years now)

Woy thats a madness, u must feel on top of the world

Things like that can get over sticky though

Similiar thing happened in my family where the grandma left a house and money between a brother and sister. THeyve stopped speaking now because noone could agree and the brother got greedy and tried to skank the house. They ended up selling it and aint spoke since (been couple years now)

Hmmmm

Don't invest in property if you want to invest in anything do your research but best investments are medicine and energy

All the best brother, seem to have your head screwed on so you should be alright.

/

Lol @ people speaking on similar issues. Same happened when my nan passed last year. She had 6 children and 16 grandchildren so considering how much change I got she must of had a fair bit behind her. But yeah the family is split and don't get on anymore due to wrangles over the house and money. Sad stuff coz we used to be tight

Congrats brother. Really happy to hear you had this kind of luck, especially as I remember you posting recently that you would be out of a job soon. Just make sure you make the smart decisions with the money brother.

As for the family, honestly, deal with the immediate family you feel deserve it, if you want to sort out the close friends (that are basically family) do that if you feel they would do something very productive with it, but as for the rest that will be begging straight up say no. They wouldn't have been checking for you if someone else got the inheritance.

Also, doesn't no inheritance tax work only if they declared it a gift to the specific family member they are giving it to at least 8 years prior to their death?

OP doesn't seem like the guy to do something stupid with the money so i don't need to say anything

congrats

no need to feel anything for them family members who come out of the wood work in these situations

i was only reading the other day about a womans ex husband who got back together with her just so he could get his hands on her parents inheritance, man spent the p's and done a runner straight afterwards, it f*cked her up emotionally and she ended up wasting all the money because of what he had done to her

If your g

Also, doesn't no inheritance tax work only if they declared it a gift to the specific family member they are giving it to at least 8 years prior to their death?

Thought it was 7 still.

The 125k cash is only tax exempt if his grandmother gifted the money to him as a lifetime gift i.e. 7 years before she died. And even then it's not tax exempt, it's a PET (Potentially Exempt Transaction), from what he's said this doesn't appear to be the case. The total value of the death estate is obviously more £325k (NRB for 2011 of the top of my head), the only way the whole value of the estate is tax exempt is if the NRB from the death of his grandfather has been transferred unto his nan, as is normally the case for spouses (Spousal exemption). If that isn't the case, All Chargeable life time transfers (Under the 7 year rule) and PETs (Under the 7 year rule) now become taxable on her death.

---

On the other hand, good luck with it brah, sounds like you deserve it. Don't blow it, or invest in property like most mugs would have you believe. If you want to live a relatively normal life, go down the cash ISA route. Keep it simple, use the interest of bulk savings to supplement your 'normal' income.

I read the opening post,

Then thought of my Grandma recently being diagnosed with cancer

and then thought of me being favourite Grandchild...

I think I am a sociopath...

Congratz though, go spend a bit like an idiot then deal with the rest qiseley

• Downvote 5