Gang members jailed for shooting of five-year-old girl

Vertigo

Dutty looking wastemen.

1619664121ucj.jpg

Three members of a south London street gang who shot and paralysed a five-year-old girl have been jailed for a total of 45 years.

Nathaniel Grant, Anthony McCalla and Kazeem Kolawole were chasing a man they believed was a member of a rival gang when Thusha Kamaleswaran was shot in the chest as she played in her uncle's south London shop in March last year.

The bullet hit her spine before passing out of her back. In the moments after the shooting she twice went into cardiac arrest as medics battled to save her.

The trio were found guilty last month of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Thusha and shopper Roshan Selvakumar, who was shot in the face, as well as attempted murder of their intended victim Roshaun Bryan. Grant will serve a minimum of 17 years, and Kolawole and McCalla at least 14 years. Kolawole, 19, of Kennington, south-east London; McCalla, 20, of Streatham, south London; and Grant, 21, of Camberwell, south-east London, were told their crimes were "of the utmost gravity".

Judge Martin Stephens QC said: "Much of what you did was captured on CCTV and has been shown on television screens across the land. "One can only imagine the effect on the public when they saw what you had done." The court heard that Thusha had been caught in the crossfire of a "tit-for-tat" feud between the Brixton-based GAS gang – short for Guns And Shanks – and rivals ABM – or All 'Bout Money – based in neighbouring Stockwell.

The GAS gang is notorious in the south London and is known to be responsible for killing three teenagers in 20 months.

Sentencing, the judge said the trio had gone out with a "determined, premeditated intention to kill" the night Thusha was shot, adding it was an "exceptional case of the utmost gravity". "Five-year-old Thusha, who was dancing around with her family in the shop, was hit in the body. Only the skill and devotion of the medical teams who became involved saved her life but she remains paralysed below her chest and this condition is permanent.

"This simple but devastating statement of the essential facts of the case illustrate the gravity of these offences, riddled as they are with aggravating factors."

He said the sentences had to reflect "the public's abhorrence" at the shooting of a five-year-old. "Shooting twice into a small and confined space where it was known there were people present can be denounced as an attack on society itself by men who saw themselves as outside the law and above the law." In an interview after the verdicts last month, Thusha, now six, said: "I worry that someone will try to hurt me again." Her mother, Sharmila Kamaleswaran, is said to have suffered insomnia and depression.

Kamaleswaran said in a victim impact statement that seeing her daughter, who dreamed of being a dancer, in a hospital bed "took my heart away".

Police who investigated the case have set up a fund to help raise money to support Thusha's family. Already donations have topped £125,000, and a group of 15 officers and police staff are doing the Three Peaks Challenge in September – attempting to climb the highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales – to raise further funds.

they should re introduce slavery for people like this

not just for blacks but whites or asians too...

when you behave in this fashion you should lose your entitlement to live amonsgt humans as equals

What do you think prison is?

And somebody really negged me for saying putting a 5 year old girl in a wheelchair is f*cked? p*ssy.

• Downvote 1

so anyway like i droppd i when the article got droppd on time, anyone screaming any reckless talk scream at me

i swear to you if you PM me and drop me your digits, look to link up at the weekend, you wont talk any more badness

but really your all d*ckheads behind a screen

You what?

Bruv why do you think you're such a wickedman on the internet? You're not!

One of these man your cousin or something?

so anyway like i droppd i when the article got droppd on time, anyone screaming any reckless talk scream at me

i swear to you if you PM me and drop me your digits, look to link up at the weekend, you wont talk any more badness

ur a c*nt... youve screamed this sh*t at me and details were provided to no avail. watch him now be much more ready now that im conveniently 6000 miles away

Guest chap44uns

i made you run out of your own ends

pipe down son

Why are you on the internet asking guys for their 'digits' and trying to get them to 'link up' with you 'at the weekend'?

The fact that your name is 'Woodpecker' makes that comment so much more suspect.

No ratings.

Are you related to these man or something? Clearly this rage is due to a familial connection or some 'thug love'.

142158.jpg

• Upvote 1

this website is weird i swear

why would you want to link up someone for beef over a f*ck*ng forum

jesus, some of you lot need to get friends/be more social.

people always say this..and its silly. the net is realpeople get married off meeting on the net, have babies, develop business, get deals off things mentioned here, attend events, do the neeky stuff they do in the E-den, so why should a big mouth being called out be any different. u not seen that twitter beef video then? calm urself.