Asteroid Mining Venture Backed by Google Execs, James Cameron Unveiled

Jefferson

Asteroid Mining Venture Backed by Google Execs, James Cameron Unveiled

A newly unveiled company with some high-profile backers — including filmmaker James Cameron and Google co-founder Larry Page — has announced plans to mine near-Earth asteroids for resources such as precious metals and water.

Planetary Resources, Inc. intends to sell these materials, generating a healthy profit for itself. But it also aims to advance humanity's exploration and exploitation of space, with resource extraction serving as an anchor industry that helps our species spread throughout the solar system.

"If you look at space resources, the logical next step is to go to the near-Earth asteroids," Planetary Resources co-founder and co-chairman Eric Anderson told SPACE.com. "They're just so valuable, and so easy to reach energetically. Near-Earth asteroids really are the low-hanging fruit of the solar system."

Planetary Resources is officially unveiling its asteroid-mining plans at 1:30 p.m. EDT (1730 GMT) Tuesday (April 24) during a news conference at Seattle's Museum of Flight.

Full article: http://news.yahoo.co...-011205183.html

This is great news

Discuss

are precious metals precious enough to justify the cost of getting at this sh*t? japan has a seabed full of rare earth metals that have been left untouched coz it's not economically viable to get at it, i would imagine space mining is even more expensive, maybe in a few decades it'll be worth it.

If the world never took a chance and threw money at things that seemed impossible we'd still be living with horse and carts suffering with the plague breakouts.

In 50 years time we could look back and say if "so and so didn't investigate this then we wouldn't have discovered that"

These men can't carry their money with them when they are dead so they might as well do something revolutionary and live forever.

Go for it! I'm all for it!

• Upvote 3

When I read about stuff like this it actually dawns upon me that rah we are actually living in the future

I love the way everything about Google is innovation even their investments

i too have realized this, but we are at the beginning stage still

give it another 10 years thats when we will be hitting them futurama levels

Widespread famine and death across the world, wars decimating whole nations, disease wiping out whole generations, what should we do?

We're dealing with those problems at the minute.

This adventure is funded by Businessmen not the Government.

You probably wouldn't be using the internet now if Leonard Kleinrock's come across your opinion in a London Coffee shop on his way to work and took your advice.

"Why should I focus on the internet when this man is clearly right, I should focus on solving diseases and widespread death with the Government & Doctors"