Adele’s 21 album outsells Michael Jackson’s Thriller in the UK

Yak_Louis

The late King of Pop Michael Jackson might have some competition after all. UK songstress Adele‘s Grammy-winning album 21 has just surpassed Thriller in the list of the best-selling UK albums, placing it at number five overall. The London-born singer’s sophomore album has now sold 4,274,300 copies, 500 more than Jackson’s 1982 classic.

“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” said Martin Talbot from the Official Charts Company.

“Thriller has long been recognised as one of the most iconic albums of all-time. There is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”

The album, which figures show has been shifting an average of 20,000 copies a week for the past four weeks, has spent 65 non-consecutive weeks on the UK Albums Chart since its release 15 months ago. It has also outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black to become the biggest-selling album of the 21st Century.

The top 10 biggest-selling albums in the UK are:

1. Queen – Greatest Hits

2. The Beatles – Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

3. ABBA – Gold: Greatest Hits

4. Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?

5. Adele – 21

6. Michael Jackson – Thriller

7. Dire Straits – Brothers In Arms

8. Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon

9. Michael Jackson – Bad

10. Queen – Greatest Hits II

Goes to show pirating music makes no difference. And you wonder why everything on the radio is trash. The music industry is dictated by ego maniacs who brag about a small thing they did in their past. Too many know it alls and no risk takers.

Not heard it but some of the songs I have heard mainly due to the folk at work with the radio on are just annoying, boring and they do my head in.

"Someone like yoooooooou" blah blah blah blah.

You can sell sh*t loads and still have a bad album, its happen with movies too many times.

Not heard it but some of the songs I have heard mainly due to the folk at work with the radio on are just annoying, boring and they do my head in.

You can sell sh*t loads and still have a bad album, its happen with movies too many times.

What defines a Good album? (Without the Glitz and Glamour)

What defines a Good album? (Without the Glitz and Glamour)

Well, what I think would be a good album is going to be different to others, but my interpretation of a good album has to be something I can immerse myself into, really enjoy (this includes the production and lyrics) and the songs have to be different.

The Black Keys at this moment define the good album monocle.

Adele is sick though. Need to listen to the album again toconfirm my feelings on 21. She has good pr, is white and doesn't seem to be troubled mentally. The same can't be said about Jacko despite his wealth of talent.

Guest chap44uns

Feel mad out of touch, I have never heard an Adele song. Heard her name mentioned but never listened to her.

trassss me you have but you wouldnt have known its her

/

anytime iam in a cafe,cab, gym etc

that 'nooo oneee likeee youuuuu' tune plays

Adele is sick though. Need to listen to the album again toconfirm my feelings on 21. She has good pr, is white and doesn't seem to be troubled mentally. The same can't be said about Jacko despite his wealth of talent.

boy i know which one i would hire as an au pair but thats not the same criteria i would use to select which makes the better music, i hope thats not what yr implying

/

at the same time good for her, i dont care , if more ppl buy her record in this country than mj its no skin of my nose

ahem

• Upvote 1