Gary Neville - England Coach

8BALL

_60224807_002741346-1.jpg

Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville has joined Roy Hodgson's coaching staff as England finalise preparations for Euro 2012.
The 37-year-old has signed a four-year-contract with the Football Association and will begin work immediately.
"Roy asking me to be a part of his staff and to work with the national team is not only an honour but a very special moment for me," Neville said.
"I had absolutely no hesitation in accepting this role."

Neville, who holds Uefa A and B coaching licences, added: "I am relishing the opportunity to work alongside Roy and the team at the Euros and through to the next two tournaments."
Neville made 85 appearances for England during his playing career and represented his country at Euro 96, Euro 2000, Euro 2004, World Cup 98 and World Cup 2006.
He captained United and won every domestic honour in the game before adding the Champions League in 1999.
"Gary has achieved so much in the game as a player with Manchester United and England," Hodgson said.
"He has obtained Uefa coaching qualifications and will be tremendously respected by the players because of his vast experience as a player.

"At my first meeting with The FA, I explained that Gary was someone I wanted as part of my staff.
"I think it is very important we have a younger coach who knows the dressing room and is very experienced at international level. That he has represented England as a player at five major tournaments will make him an invaluable member of staff."
After ending his playing career in 2010-11, he joined Sky Sports and has been widely acclaimed for his football analysis during his first season as a pundit.

Neville has been an outspoken critic of the FA at times and only last week admitted that Harry Redknapp would have been his choice for England manager.

Writing in his column for the Mail on Sunday, Neville said: "No one can deny that it was a shock on Sunday night when it became clear that Roy Hodgson had been approached to be England manager.
"Everyone had been lured into thinking that Harry Redknapp would get the job, and that is who I would have picked as my candidate.
"But once the initial surprise had gone and you examined their records, and their strengths and weaknesses side by side, it was impossible to say that Harry Redknapp's credentials were a million times better than Roy Hodgson's.
"They were both good candidates offering very different qualities for the job and you can make a good case for either.
"Though there has been a lot of negative reaction to the appointment of Hodgson in certain newspapers, I actually think that is going to work in his favour in rallying people behind him.
"When it comes to dealing with pressure, you don't get much more in club football than managing Inter Milan and Liverpool."

Good appointment imo. Not gonna lie kinda surprised they offered him this role, was a pretty bold move tbh. Good on ya Roy.

what you talking about Gayle

both the neville brothers have had there coaching badges for a number of years now.. so he is qualified for the job

it makes sense to give someone young the job as coach as he can gain valuable experience and can still relate to the current squad as it wasnt too long he was there playing with them....he wont be doing anything that holds responsibility just yet.... man will just take a few sessions here and there and do the dog work in the dressing room/training ground..... not like he is the manager/assistant

Coaching badges yeah but no coaching experience

It's baffling to me you would give someone with NO coaching xp one of the top coaching roles in the country

Like I said what is the descion based on, because it is not coaching because he no xp of that

He is there as a buffer between the players an Roy IMO

but its not one of the top coaching roles in the country

its a part time job

plus with his CV as a player.... do you think man is going to start his coaching at stockport and work his way up the leagues ?

CV as a player means nothing as a coach loads of examples of great players even world greats being flops as a coach.

International level is the pinnacle for any player, so would argue that is one if the not the top role a coach could get.

My question is what is this appointment based on upon, bearing in mind he has no coaching xp. Just found it strange as per above.

Not saying he will be shit, not saying he will good cos end of the day no one knows cos he has never been a coach before. Will be interesting to see nevertheless

When we meet up for training in Manchester on Wednesday, I’ll be there to serve Roy, first and foremost, and learn from Ray Lewington. I will be as loyal to them as I was to my club and people I played with. I have been working for four years to achieve UEFA coaching badges and now I have been given an opportunity, I want to give it all to become the best I can.

My role will also be to work with the players and offer whatever help I can. That’s all I ever wanted as a player — a coaching team who were supportive and loyal. Because ultimately, it is about the players and making sure they have the best possible opportunity to play to the best of their undoubted ability.

tbh i dont think you get it Gayle so i wont bother explaining

Plenty of coaches out there with XP who have the UEFA badge, so don't see the point there.

My question is is what is this appointment based on, its not coaching as he is never done any coaching. So what is it based on ? His media performance ??

Fairly reasonable question TBH