Afraid to say the word "Black"

Brem

In essence. I don't understand it but people seem more than anything else to be afraid to describe someone as black.

1 instance. I was looking for someone at work and someone gave me a treasure map like description of where she was sitting in relation to others rather than describing her as Black, which would have been a lot easier considering she is one of two Black females there.

Personally I don't understand it but you tell me. Would you be offended if in the instance above you were described as Black?

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

If I actually know what nationality someone is then I will refer to them by that but if not I will feel know way to say black

I have mentioned before that it's weir how inte states they have african American as the pc term but we don't have one...

What would guys like to be called?

African British?

Can't see the west Indians or jamaicans going for that

Afro British maybe?

Hhmm

I have noticed this still.

Sometimes its not.a person. Its an actual object.

'that one, The other one.

I am not bothered tbh if described as black. Rather that.than'colored'..

Its like when I want to describe an oriental person.. In my head am thinking to say. The chinese one. Then the Pc cape comes on. Then I find an awkward way to describe the person.

Hhmm

Its like when I want to describe an oriental person.. In my head am thinking to say. The chinese one. Then the Pc cape comes on. Then I find an awkward way to describe the person.

I just call em Asian; leave it to the person I'm talking to, to figure it out

• Upvote 1

Happens all the time at work as they are trying to describe my Mum, people end up being near offensive by trying to avoid using 'Black'.

When requesting her on the phone I have got -

The dark Lady

The lady with plaits

The coloured one

The Nigerian Lady (she's jamaican)

The brown skinned Lady - followed up by telling me how lucky she is to be brown and not have to get a tan, obviously felt she needed to justify something.

saying "he's black" is slightly better than saying "the black guy"

also better if You can use it in a long sentence, ie "he's black and always complains about how management speak to him"

don't know why. also agree with people generally being unaware that black is the right word. black is more PC than colored

Hhmm

I just call em Asian; leave it to the person I'm talking to, to figure it out

I hear that.

But

Uk: asian is usually used for indians pakistanis bamgladeshis e.t.c

Us: asian = oriental

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Happens all the time at work as they are trying to describe my Mum, people end up being near offensive by trying to avoid using 'Black'.

When requesting her on the phone I have got -

The dark Lady

The lady with plaits

The coloured one

The Nigerian Lady (she's jamaican)

The brown skinned Lady - followed up by telling me how lucky she is to be brown and not have to get a tan, obviously felt she needed to justify something.

Y are u chatting shit?

Seriously

• Downvote 13

Id rather be called black than coloured and a host of other terms but i kind of understand where their fears come from. You always read about terms being changed to make them more pc. e.g not saying blackboard or not singing baa baa black sheep etc. We laugh about the stupidness but these white people who have no contact with blacks and get all their information from tv and the media must actually take it as gospel and think we are actually offended by these things

In my old job I used to work in Gravesend, Kent. Them whites up there never liked to use to word black. I think they genuinely believed myself and my manager would prefer the term 'Coloured'. I flipped out one time when some guy was asking for me and was saying "Is the coloured boy here?".

Many times I would answer the phone and they would say "Can I speak to the coloured lady please?" talking about my manager. One time I replied "You mean the black lady" and she said "Yes the coloured lady" ^_)

Smh.

• Upvote 1

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

What makes you think im 'chatting sh*t'?

So when u ring your mums work u ask for her and even though u say her name they say "oh the coloured Nigerian lady? The lucky one with the all year tan?"

Instead of just saying "oh *insert your mums name here* yes hold on I will put you through"

:/ come on that never happend.

• Downvote 5

What makes you think im 'chatting sh*t'?

So when u ring your mums work u ask for her and even though u say her name they say "oh the coloured Nigerian lady? The lucky one with the all year tan?"

Instead of just saying "oh *insert your mums name here* yes hold on I will put you through"

confused4.png come on that never happend.

Swear she works with her mum...

its jokes when people do all that they can to avoid saying the word black...

sometimes when i know who they are talking about i pretend i dont to long it out even more "oh yeah i know Darren...the tall white guy" lol i see the pain in the face when i drop those bars

but its even funnier when they then freely say "yeah the paki family"

lmfao

I don't like the term coloured, make me think I am in some dad's army era and it shows how little interaction said man have had with blacks and that makes me feel even less comfortable in their presence.

Just say black and done, it ain't the correct term because technically I am brown but technically most white man are pink so who gives a shit at the end of the day.