Torres Still Good Enough To Lead Chelsea's Line Next Season?

Mame Biram Diouf

130036hp2.jpg

Fernando Torres was assured yesterday that he has won his battle to be Chelsea's lead striker next season when the club's chief executive said that – despite Torres' post-Champions League final outburst about his recent unhappiness – the £50m man would be at the centre of the Chelsea team.

Ron Gourlay said there was no problem with Torres, who gave an outspoken interview in the aftermath of Saturday's final, saying he would have to consider his future in the light of being left out of the team to start the game against Bayern Munich. He described his omission as the "biggest disappointment" of his life and his recent struggles at Chelsea as the "worst in my career".

"We've got Fernando Torres. And Fernando Torres is the man that we will go forward with and Fernando Torres will score us the goals. I have no doubt about that. Fernando Torres is a world-class centre-forward and Fernando Torres will score goals for Chelsea. I'm not worried at all. We've just won the Champions League and Fernando Torres played his part in that.

Asked whether that ruled out Chelsea signing another striker, Gourlay said: "We may have two big-name centre-forwards scoring 25-30 goals for us next season and maybe then we will improve on our sixth position in the league." He refused to elaborate on Chelsea's targets, which include Radamel Falcao, Hulk, Eden Hazard and Edinson Cavani. The club would not confirm they have had a £32.4m bid for the Brazilian Lucas Moura turned down by Sao Paulo.

I reckon this new look Chelsea side will rejuvante him and be build around his needs and get the best out of him.

If their transfer plans do come true and they end up with Hazard and Mata supporting him and Modric pulling the strings with Ramires running the pitch

I think he would be a good shout for top goalscorer next season, I dont think it is over for him in England yet. Still has one outstanding season in him, just needs that confidence and run of goals with players suited to his game IMO

Will hit 40 goals in all comps next season if he starts as their main man and they sign Modric and a winger

• Downvote 1

I think they will need to change a little bit the way they play, when they get pressured alot they used to bump the ball up to drogba and he would do the rest, torres can't do that atm, i could see them bidding for cavani or falcao that would be good for them along with torres.

I'll say what I always say. You should be firing because youre the best. Not because dons have stepped aside to let you play. He will flop and a new signing will be rushed in for jan. I think he's a good player, but this isn't the way to go about nailing down a spot in the 1st XI

I'll say what I always say. You should be firing because youre the best. Not because dons have stepped aside to let you play. He will flop and a new signing will be rushed in for jan. I think he's a good player, but this isn't the way to go about nailing down a spot in the 1st XI

Standard this next 6 months is make or break. I don't think he can do it looks like he was a early peaker

Been playing from a very young age at full pro level man is burnt out. Again only in the Spain squad because of his price tag allot of better strikers. Hope I am wrong but he must get 10 goals at least by December

Still a big player, if you look at it apart from National Side Torres has never really been around TOP TOP players for any considerable length of time.

He knows them man in Spain so the pressure isn't as much as at Chelsea.

There have been glimpses, especially in the last few weeks.

I'm not liking the kinda guys Chelsea are being linked with though.

WHY??

ALL HAVE BEEN IN MUCH BETTER FORM THAN THIS PANSY.

MAN SHOULDA KNOWN HIS ROLE AND KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT.

HOW CAN YOU TRY COME OUT AND SLANDER THE CLUB THE DAY AFTER WINNING THE CHAMPS LEAGUE, WHEN YOUR FORM IS THE REASON FOR NOT BEING PLAYED.

GUY'S A JOKE.

• Upvote 1

yeh hes got problems , i hope he returns to his old self tho, on form hes one of the best st in the world, is it chelseas build up play thats effecting him? if i remember correctly he said somthing about chelsea playing too slow( i think)...

i think mata needs to play behind torres, worked well vs united

Torres made a tactical move, he knew what he was promised by the owner, yet the manager hasn't given it to him... He sees Drogba win the CL and thinks well now him and Di Matteo must be staying, soooooooo its time to remind people of what I was promised.

• 2 months later...

Fernando-Torres-008.jpg

It is one thing temporarily taking charge of a team for a couple of months, quite another becoming the full-time manager. Players will usually warm to a caretaker manager, especially if he is replacing an unpopular figure. They will give him the benefit of the doubt, embrace his different training techniques because they want it to work after an unhappy time.

The Chelsea lads certainly rallied around Roberto Di Matteofollowing Andre Villas-Boas’s departure. The improvement was startling, culminating in that Champions League victory. Now the Italian, following his signing of a two-year contract, has got to maintain that momentum while trying to incorporate two or three new players as part of the quest to bring more attractive football to SW6.

It won’t be easy, not when you still have several dominant characters on board who are used to winning trophies playing a certain way; not when the new signings are unfamiliar with the particular demands of the Premier League where everything happens more quickly with a bit more force.

As a result, Eden Hazard, Marko Marin and Oscar will surely need time to properly adjust, not just to the football but to a strange country. Not only that, it’s difficult to see them all fitting in the same starting XI when a place also has to be found for Juan Mata.

Oscar isn’t too dissimilar to Mata in that he likes to create from a central position. Mainly right-footed, the 20-year-old Brazilian is also adept at timing his run to arrive in the box at the right time, much like Frank Lampard has managed over the past decade. Again like Lampard, Oscar loves to shoot.

Marin does too, but the German tends to run with the ball a bit more, whether through the middle or from a wide position. More two-footed than Oscar, Marin could potentially fill one of the wide slots in Chelsea’s system, which looks like changing judging by the Community Shield.

Di Matteo started with a 4-2-3-1 shape last Sunday, using Lampard next to John Obi Mikel as a deep-lying midfielder, with Hazard, Mata and Ramires supporting Fernando Torres up front.

Compared to the long-standing 4-3-3 which used three orthodox midfielders, this tweak allows another attack-minded player to squeeze into the side. At Villa Park, it also allowed Hazard to raid from the left, a position he might keep for tomorrow’s opener at Wigan.

The Belgian looks happiest when running with the ball, using his trickery and pace to commit defenders. He will not be asked to stay out wide either. The new Chelsea way demands more fluidity going forward, with more swapping of positions in the final third.

That shouldn’t include Torres though. Like Didier Drogba before him, the Spaniard must remain the focal point of attack, working the channels, holding up the ball and generally giving those oncoming team-mates something to work off.

If Torres goes walkabouts, as he did at times during his troubles last season when he could be seen dawdling on the right wing, the system breaks down.

Work mainly within the width of the penalty area – that would be my advice to a striker who, if he plays his cards right, could end up scoring a hatful of goals to return to the heights of his early Liverpool years.

And if that happens, you know that Chelsea will be firing, that their creative players will be doing the business.

At the back, meanwhile, things look very solid. Yes, they need another right-back now that Jose Bosingwa has gone but David Luiz has calmed down after his early theatrics while Gary Cahill will give you a seven out of 10 most weeks.

That back four, in fact, can expect to improve dramatically on the 46 league goals conceded last term. Nobody gets anywhere leaking so many.

In summary, then, I’d say Chelsea can look forward to a much better campaign than the disruptive one that saw them end up sixth in May. Yeah, they should do, too, after spending so much money, I can hear many cry.

That’s true, but the difference with Chelsea is that the manager would not appear to be responsible for these signings, Di Matteo did not seem to have much say in who was acquired.

Still, there is a job to be done. Winning with style – the owner demands it.

• Downvote 1

• 2 months later...

Had enough of this c*nt.

Tuesday's game was the final straw.

No matter how sh*t he's been he's always had the full support of the fans and the club but he hasn't deserved it he's a moody whining c*nt who when playing sh*t starts switching at everyone and anything apart from himself.

He's gotta go he's a bad apple in the team.

The thing with torres is hes always been a basic player

A pace and power player. Technically very average. So when he f*cked his hammys, and he lost his pace it ruined him. And he knows it as well. His confidence is a mess to the point where even chances he doesnt need his pace for he can miss when a few years ago he woulda scored.

Wc 2010 final was the end of the road for this guy. He was on a decline already but that game was the end.

• Upvote 1