Torres Still Good Enough To Lead Chelsea's Line Next Season?

Mame Biram Diouf

Lol it's true

Torres main strengths were his explosiveness and speed, being able to burst away from players and get behind the line, he may have looked like a member of Nsync but he was a powerfully built player

He's clumsy around the box and getting involved with build-up play, which he'll generally slow down or not pick the best pass / not have the movement for

It's why he is a square peg in a round hole for Spain & the former Chelsea team

I read somewhere that Defoe is the answer up front for Chelsea :lol:

Defoe's hype >

Defoe is the answer to Chelsea’s problems

IF only Chelsea had Jermain Defoe!

There’s little doubt their expensively-assembled squad looks light on strikers — and Defoe would be the perfect solution.

:lol:

http://www.thesun.co...g-problems.html

You laught but Chelsea don't need a complete forward anymore

You have a midfield like theirs all you need is a 9 who wants to score, no need for a player to hold up the ball anymore you get enough retention of the ball through Mata Hazard and Oscar

I actually beleive the hype, that's why someone like Falcaonwould beast at Chelsea not just because he's sick as many ppl think but rather cos scoring is the main element of his game

Edit: oh yeah and Defoe (lol)

• 11 months later...

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres admits he needs to score more goals this season

"Chelsea striker Fernando Torres admits he has to do more to justify his £50m price tag.

The Spaniard, currently on the sidelines with a knee injury, concedes that he needs to score more goals but he is confident that he will deliver if he is given time.

Torres scored 23 goals last season in all competitions, and has won the Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup in his time at Stamford Bridge.

He has scored 37 goals in 139 appearances in his Chelsea career so far but his move from Liverpool - where he scored an impressive 81 goals in 142 appearances - has not been the success most predicted so far.

"The people are looking at me thinking I should do much better and it's true," he told Chelsea TV. "The reason you pay that money for someone is that he has shown in the past he is worth that.

Now what you have to show is you can have the same value or even more value for things you have done at Chelsea.

"I know I have many things to do at this club to give the confidence back to the owner. The amount of goals I scored last season should be the minimum," said the 29-year-old, who is currently sidelined with a knee injury.

"I want to ask that of myself but I have enough time. I signed a five-and-a-half year contract and I'm sure the future can only be better."

Torres insists that despite his difficulties at Chelsea, he has no regrets about making the move from Merseyside.

"I'm so happy to have made that hard decision in my career to come to Chelsea," he said. "Over time you can see all the success that we've had as a team so everything was worth it."

And Torres believes that whilst improvements must be made, he believes the criticism directed at him has been over the top.

"There has been an overreaction about everything. Overreact when I did a miss or if I have a red card or I hit the crossbar instead of scoring a goal.

"It was a good season (last year), a good number of goals (23) that gave us a chance to fight for trophies but if you ask the people, they will say he can do better, should do better.

"It's like I said, with me good things are looking so-so and bad things are looking really bad."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8966905/chelsea-striker-fernando-torres-admits-he-needs-to-score-more-goals-this-season

Nah.

Will just sit on the bench and stunt his progress.

It's funny that the Lukaku thing is all that's being talked about.

So much so that on MOTD2 on the weekend they talked about Everton more than Chelsea and didn't even make a mention for Willian's wonder goal on his debut.

If we were 12th and not scoring I would be worried.