Paul Williams in motorbike crash - currently paralysed from the waist down

Fighting Weight

ATLANTA -- Boxer Paul Williams was paralyzed from the waist down Sunday after being involved in a motorcycle crash in the Atlanta suburbs and doctors said it is unlikely he will continue his career, his manager, George Peterson said Monday.

"From the waist down, he has absolutely no movement. He's in very good spirits, though," Peterson told The Associated Press from his home in Aiken, S.C. "He still believes he's going to fight again."

Williams severed his spinal cord after falling on his back and head when he was thrown from his motorcycle Sunday morning in Marietta, Ga., Peterson said. Williams has been listed in serious but stable condition on Monday at an undisclosed hospital.

"I know he's going to make a statement after surgery on Wednesday, because he's that kind of person," Peterson said. "He's 100 percent coherent and still has the will to want to get back on the motorcycle."

Williams was scheduled to fight Saul Alvarez on Sept. 15 in Las Vegas but that event has been canceled, Peterson said.

He said he continues to hope with Williams that the boxer's career isn't over.

"I want to think along with him, `cause I've seen him do things in his boxing career that shouldn't have happened," he said.

The crash happened Sunday morning in Marietta after Williams tried to avoid another car in the next lane that was negotiating a curve and then had to maneuver to avoid an oncoming car. Williams was in the area to attend his brother's wedding Sunday afternoon, Peterson said.

"We want his fans to know he's going to be all right and he'll be back," Peterson said. "He said if he wasn't going to be boxing, he's going to be a stand-up comedian."

-------

:(

Sad stuff

thankfully he's still got his life,

it'll never cease to amaze me how these elite sports people or anyone for that matter choose motorcycles as a way of transport, yes you can get in a accident in any vehicle, but even chitty chitty bang bang would offer you some sort of protection, Motercycle offers you none,

shame none the less

Sergio Martinez Comments On Paul Williams Accident

New York, NY (5/29/12) - After reading reports that came out this weekend that Paul Williams was in a horrible motorcycle accident, which has left the former welterweight and junior middleweight world champion paralyzed from the waist down, a shocked and saddened middleweight champion, Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez commented on the tragic event..

"Upon learning of Paul's injuries, I was deeply saddened," said Martinez, who twice shared the ring with Williams, with their first epic battle being named the Boxing Writers Association of America's "Fight of the Year" for 2010. "When you are in the ring with a real champion, you know it, and Paul Williams was a very great champion, in every sense of the word. Paul and his family are in my thoughts and prayers through this very difficult time."

Paul Williams injured in motorcycle accident, paralyzed from waist down

By Michael Collins: Former WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams (41-2, 27 KO's) has reportedly been involved in a serious motorcycle accident in Atlanta and is currently paralyzed from the waist down. Williams crashed on Sunday morning according to WRDW news. Williams will be undergoing surgery on Wednesday and it's unclear what the prognosis is. The surgery will attempt to stabilize Williams' spine.

The 30-year-old Williams recently defeated Nobuhiro Ishida in an impressive 12 round unanimous decision last February, and was scheduled to face WBC junior middleweight champion Saul Alvarez on September 15th in an important pay-per-view bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. That fight likely will canceled now with Williams' injury.