Greatest manager?

The Somalian

I agree fergie is definitely top 3 ever

Rinus did not win loads of trophys won a fair share with Ajax barca and holland was voted manager of the century last century R.I.P pep has enhanced his ethos of football but I can not say he was a better coach. Saying that guys got years ahead of him. I will be dead and buried if pep will be voted coach of the century

Wenger,

Given the money he's had to work with and against the Chelsea, Manchester City & United's off this world he has achieved the max potential of the club for the past 10 years.

I'm not sure there is a manager out there who could constantly for 10 years achieve the maximum possible and clear all their targets pre-season.

Paisley gets overlooked as the best british manager so much it disgusts me.

6 League titles, 3 CL titles, 1 UEFA Cup, 3 League Cups, and a UEFA Super Cup in 9 years.

Only manager in history to have won 3 CL titles.

No british manager is holding a candle to that record.

paisley_eurocupsx500.jpg

• Upvote 2

Shankly because he laid the foundations.

Surely this happening within Liverpool FC might give you a clue as to why Paisley is overlooked,

He simply reaped the rewards of shankly leadership, not meaning to

Take away from what he achieved, but the really hard work was done,

My list would contain a top 3 of Stein, Clough and Busby, with shankly and Ferguson fighting for 4th,

The top 3 built clubs from very little to get to the top of the game, in Clough and Busby's cases they did it twice, Busby's foresight is one of tge reasons why we even play European club football, his forsight in youth football and integrating those players into the first team is also very important. Stein's achievements with that Celtic team are well known. we all know what Clough achieved.

Shankly Built Liverpool FC and built a footballing institution with enough forward thinking to ensure that the rise continued even after he left.

Finally a top 5 Brittish managers lust wouldn't be complete without Fergie,

Shankly because he laid the foundations.

Surely this happening within Liverpool FC might give you a clue as to why Paisley is overlooked,

He simply reaped the rewards of shankly leadership, not meaning to

Take away from what he achieved, but the really hard work was done,

I hear what you're saying but to say he simply reaped the rewards of Shankly's leadership is undermining his achievements imo, if you were to say that about Fagan following Paisley I would agree though.

He didn't rest on what Shankly had done, he brought in his own players did it his own way and surpassed Shankly's achievements both domestically and established us as a dominant force in Europe. You've given examples of a few managers from that era that managed to build clubs up from humble beginnings but how many from that era or this one can rival Paisley's dominance?

Shankly the man accounts for his iconic status just as much as Shankly the manager imo hence why he is held in higher regard than Paisley.

Can't argue with Paisley's achievements as they're there for everyone to see,

But his job was arguably easier than Shankly's the foundations the man lay allowed Paisley to add the finishing touches and achieve the things he did.

Great manager undoubtedly,

But I'd be inclined with the general majority of Liverpool fans and say that even without the trophies, dominance and success that Paisley had Shankly is at very least his equal in terms of importance. Imagine if my guy had bagged just one European cup before he called it a day, the arguement wouldn't even be worth having IMO,

His work set the tone for what followed, without his input Paisley wouldn't have achieved what he did,

Languishing in the second division, to winning 3 league tittles, a FA cup

And a Uefa cup,

Shankly like Busby is the father of one of the greatest sporting institutions in the world, these men created blueprints to how things should be and thus contributed a invaluable piece of what the clubs about.

These men contributed more than European cups and back to back tittles.

Busby completely rebuilt a team after he nearly died and 10 years later won the European Cup with them, he would go down as 1 off the greats of all time due to that feat.

Shankly is a great but not in that sense.

There have been plenty of managers who had achievements comparable to Shankly, ie: Don Revie @ Leeds and the success wasn't capitalized on once he left.

Due to this you can't disregard the achievements of the later managers.

Paisley is above Shankly everywhere apart from Liverpool.

• 11 months later...

Busby completely rebuilt a team after he nearly died and 10 years later won the European Cup with them, he would go down as 1 off the greats of all time due to that feat.

There have been plenty of managers who had achievements comparable to Shankly, ie: Don Revie @ Leeds and the success wasn't capitalized on once he left.

The question you have to ask is why did Leeds start going downhill after Revis left, Why did United go 20 odd years without a league title after Busby? Those men built great teams in the immediate term but in the long term the didn't build And put in place a sustainable plan for the future. Paisley worked under Shankley and carried on the good work and took it to higher heights.

Not in anyway disregarding what Paisley did as like I said the stats and history don't lie. But Shankly is the man tbh, can't help but admire the vision he had with what was a any club at the time.

The question you have to ask is why did Leeds start going downhill after Revis left, Why did United go 20 odd years without a league title after Busby? Those men built great teams in the immediate term but in the long term the didn't build And put in place a sustainable plan for the future. Paisley worked under Shankley and carried on the good work and took it to higher heights.

Not in anyway disregarding what Paisley did as like I said the stats and history don't lie. But Shankly is the man tbh, can't help but admire the vision he had with what was a any club at the time.

Didnt a certain plane crash contribute to this?