Barbara Ellen - "get out ya parents yard ya bummy cunts"

Supermalt

I tried to understand, I really did, but it was difficult after reading the latest report on adult children still living at home: almost three million of the UK's 20-34-year-olds: approaching one in three men and one in seven women.

I could barely suppress the urge to grab someone, perhaps not the 20-year-olds, but certainly the thirtysomethings and scream: "What are you playing at? You get one life and you're living it in your parents' house, as a strangely tall child, presumably with secondary sexual characteristics. Whatever it takes, whatever it costs, however much your standard of living falls, you must save yourself and leave. At once!"

But then I'm funny like that. I've always believed that people should have one of those things that start with a birth, end with a death and have lots of stuff going on in the middle. You know, a life.

Studies such as this always amaze me. Not because I'm nasty or stupid. I know about high rents, low wages, no wages, exploitative landlords, travel costs, dangerous areas, debts, student or otherwise, and the housing ladder. I also understand that, in different cultures, adults live at home before marriage. But come on. For Britons, if you've always been healthy but you're still living with your folks in your late-20s, never mind mid-30s, something has gone wrong. And no amount of defensive yammering about high rents is going to change that.

There's an argument that older generations have screwed over the young and I sympathise. Certainly, I find it repulsive that generations who went to university for free got away with imposing crippling fees on the young. After that, my sympathy wanes a tad. "All they could afford would be dumps." So what? I spent much of my youth in dumps.

"They can't get on to the property ladder?" Boo-hoo. Most young people in previous "luckier" generations weren't anywhere near the property ladder. "The cost of living… blah, blah." Again, so what? When are young people going to realise that roughing it and feeling permanently broke when you're starting out has always been with us. It's not some ghastly new concept exclusively devised to torture the youth of 2012.

More specifically, why aren't their parents refusing to house them for a period of, say, nine months, but no longer? Why aren't parents clammy with fear that, without the priceless hurly-burly of cash-strapped independence, their children will turn into cosseted, emotionally stunted freaks? Their hopes of attracting a partner will wane with each second they live at home. In my day, this was up there with halitosis, syphilis and alphabeticised music collections as a dating no-no.

These days, while there is always much talk of neglectful parents, increasingly there seems to be the opposite problem of over-parenting. Parents are making themselves slavishly available to their offspring, well into adulthood, with disastrous long-term results.

Bar exceptional circumstances, this level of over-parenting is approaching child abuse. While it is one thing to help adult children through a short-term crisis (catastrophe, debt, relationship breakdown), surely the endgame is their successful autonomy. For most people, independence is the magic ticket to self-reliance, self-esteem and the future. Take it away and what's left? A place in their parents' life? That gilded cage, that domestic prison. It simply isn't enough.

Instead of over-parenting at close quarters, how about over-parenting from a distance? Bung them a few quid to get started, sub them endlessly, with the proviso that they must move out. What these homebound "kids" are saving in monetary terms is far outweighed by what they're losing.

If you are one of them, my advice is – get out, be broke, endure that crummy flat share. At least you would be living your own life. Above all, accept the terrible truth – it's time for you to run away from home.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/03/barbara-ellen-kick-out-stay-at-home-kids?commentpage=all#start-of-comments

bitch.

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

She sounds salty

Fair enough its not about being some waste of space festering in ur parents house....

But I don't see how eating cold beans out a tin in shoreditch with ur new flat mate Rainbow is gonna make u any more worthy of life tbh

• Upvote 6

To be honest if we all lived our lives by a statutory standards we'd all be pretty f*cked up!

Listen, I'm only going to get this chance at life once and I want to be sure that when I'm 90 on my death bed I can look back and say I done it my way.

Do you think people want to live that way?

If every job on the market were f*ck*ng asking for cleaners or health care assistants with the odd executive role then we'd all be f*ck*ng happy.

No one I'm sure wants to live with their parents unless they have a strong bond with them but in this society you should be given security and if that's by your mum housing you untill you find the right path in life that's fine.

People are too focused on age, we develop at different rates and encounter certain hazards that stop us along our way and no bitch is going to tell me how to live my life!

• Upvote 1

What a nasty little diatribe that was against people still living at home.

:rofl: first comment

but on another note she's just trollin

waiting for the another collapse of the housing market in this country

those who studied economics/know a thing or two; how likely is this to happen?

If more people were renting houses rather than living with their parents then the housing market would look more rosey?

Well sorry love, some of us haven't got three hundred nicker to throw at a landlord a week

Maybe she should be more concerned about giving us people jobs.

Graduates paying 30 bob for a black hat and getting left with a 15k a year job.

Countrys gone to the tip and this Ellen bird aint helping matters with her inticement of people in need.

People are too focused on age, we develop at different rates and encounter certain hazards that stop us along our way and no bitch is going to tell me how to live my life!

this

but some do take the piss, old as f*ck and should move on, as long as ur in ur rents yard even with adult freedoms, certain times you would feel like a kid. imagine being 30 and thinking twice before bringing someone home. but the way the world is now, people are just trying to survive and most things are secondary

and why according to those stats more young women than men have moved out

assumed they were getting married to older men who they then move in with

Apparently women don't get "big jobs" hence they can get into their occupation quicker i.e Hairdressers, Administrators than say a man who wants to go through University into a graduate role and become a manager whereby he has to put the traditional role of being a man on the backburner.

Too many of these golden oldies are trying to promote traditional values in modern society which simply doesn't work.

Agree with what Tulse said about people developing at certain ages,

But I have to agree that I've believed for a long time that there is a deeper rooted issue with adults still living at home,

I've Finished Uni now, 23 years old, looking to become semi-self employed and looking to step out on my own two,

However as already said rent prices are a bump, so don't pay your £300 a week to live in a city you only really get to enjoy on a weekend,

I'm moving back to Manchester where I can live in a decent flat for £500 a month, be 2 hours away from Central London and have tge ability to save a decent amount of wages every month so I actually get to enjoy these much looked forward to weekend frivolities.

This is what makes sense for me to do, but everyone's different,

So again to repeat what Tulse said everyone develops at different rates, however I do find it weird that arguably due

to advanced media the Internet and the like "kids" are becoming adults in a way, faster and younger, (seems to be only the negative aspects this applies to though, I.e drug abuse and sexual activities being experienced at forever decreasing ages)

I think common sense lies somewhere in the middle and the woman raise some interesting points. Would wholeheartedly agree though.

With a lot of people I've spoken to, their reason for moving out wasn't for some sense of independence/ foray into 'real adulthood', but because they didn't want to be around their parents any more

I'm lucky in that I get on very well with my parents so that would probably never be and issue

Too young to move out anyway

This woman has hit the nail on the head. The only 2 reasons a 30 year old should be at home still is

1 - As a carer for sick family member

2 - Temporary accommodation due to breakdown of marriage/relationship

In fact even if your over 25 and still at home some serious questions need to be asked about your confidence or ambition. Most people I know were itching to get their own place as soon as they turned 19/20. The ones that didn't are the ones who 7 years later don't drive and are in dead end jobs - there's a direct correlation!

Rent & house price excuses are absolute bullshit, and if as a 30 year old you can't afford £500 per month on property then your a loser in life.

Like the said, the above 2 reasons are fair enough.

Streets,

What about people who come home from University to live at their parents yard during the summer break or should they go and find rented accomdation?

By your standards they'd be classed as scum low life.

Thats staying at your parents house during the summer break at uni.

That's not living with your parents

This is a very interesting issue,

I have never understood living at home really, my house started to get claustrophobic just before I started uni. Throughout uni anytime I went back to the rents house I felt claustrophobic also.

Now I finished I am avoiding going home as long as possible. In fact I am looking for a job and flat up here on my own. I think some people my age are a bit to scared of taking the jump, rather live the simple life at home.

I know right now, I'd rather push my own key through my own door and eat beans on toast at half 6. At least give it a go, if it all goes wrong, I wouldn't mind retreating to mothers house to go back to the drawing board

If you have a decent job saving for a deposit shouldn't take more than 18 months if youre at home. Therefore You shouldn't be at home over the age of 25 IMO barring exceptional circumstances like a break up or finishing uni late an you certainly shouldn't be there when you're pushing 30.

Some people don't think though. I have boys who stay at home and complain about saving for a depo/high rents but the 1st thing they did when they got jobs was get finance for cars that are 15-20k. The same money that would have been "wasted" on rent is now effectively being wasted instead on cars that are realistically outside of their means. But like most people they think te fact they can afford to pay the £400 a month, means they can afford it. It's all subjective but the article is right in a sense.

The article is a bit dumb. If you're single and living in London, the most you'll be able to afford is a flat share, and that'll be at least £550 a month.

That's a lot of P and if you want to work all month, and have a bit of a life, you'll have f*ck all left at the end of the month.

It's why I left London. Couldn't face the rents