Laptop broken (again)

Rippy

You guys helped me out last time, I'm hoping you can do so again because I'm struggling to find/understand the solutions online.

Its a dell laptop running windows 7. It crashed couple months ago, now it won't load windows at all. I left windows startup repair on all night so about 12 hours and nothing came about.

I've recovered my files from my hard drive so don't mind if it has to be wiped out.

I can load up command prompt. Tried running sfc/scannow but it comes up with "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again". Can't seem to overcome this.

I was thinking I need to try reinstall windows again from a usb perhaps? I dont have a disc though, so I'm downloading the ISO files now... Not sure where to go from here?

Would appreciate any help. I'm travelling on Thursday and it'll mean having to buy a new laptop tomorrow if I cant fix this.

Thanks.

Ahh

I just don't understand. I copied the files onto the usb, but it said I hadn't made the usb bootable. I don't understand how to do this (something about bootsect), and I dont understand how to set bios to boot from usb?

Should I wipe the USB and then make it bootable?

Did you use the program Ari suggested? It does it all for you. You should format the usb first yes.

To set bios to boot to usb, when you restart the pc you need to press the required button to get into the bios (it shows at the bottom of the screen)

Its normally F2, F10, F11, F12 or DEL

Then you need to locate the boot options.

Yeah, formatted it, then went through some commands (disk part, create partition etc...), used that program - copied iso file onto usb drive, but it came up with the error that it could not locate bootsect or something, so the usb wasn't bootable.

Like here

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/984566-Windows-7-on-USB?p=13373932

and someone has posted.

You have not specified where 'bootsect.exe' is located and thus the command will fail. It is not a Windows XP component and must be run from the Vista/7 installation media - or downloaded.

Bootsect can be found at \boot\bootsect.exe at the Windows 7 installation media. Naturally this means that you need to have mounted (or extracted) the source already.

I guess I need the steps broken down more to know what to do

Hmm maybe, where are you downloading it from? Also what operating system are you making the usb on?

You shouldnt have to do all that bootsec stuff. It should be

1) Format USB to NTFS

2) run program, select the iso

3)Chose which device you want to write the files to

4) Let it it complete

Was all good, it worked from different ISO file

However I left it overnight to reinstall. Woke up a different startup error.

Forgot to mention it originally ran windows vista, but last time it crashed I installed 7. So I skipped 7 installation and inserted vista reinstallstion cd, which is where it f*cked up. Gives me the option to run vista or windows 7 on startup now. But one takes me to the endless sartup repair and the other back to the error screen.

I reckon it's the end. I have too little time now to fix it, gonna head to apple store now and get a MacBook.

Thanks for the help though. Not gonna push too much for solving it's problems as I'm just glad I was able to backup my files.

Trust me, I've tried everything.

Could only work with this screen

startup_repair4.png

the repair was going on for over 13 hours

now its this

bootmgr.png

but pressing f8 goes back to this same screen.

Im sure theres a few corrupt files that can be easily replaced by someone who knows what they're doing.

Ill try at it again when Im back in a few months.

It looks like you didn't have a recovery partition on your machine when you first got it.

you've got two options, either download a recovery utility program and use it to repair your boot files by copying and pasting critical files from a working version or re-installing a fresh copy of 7 on your machine and any additional drivers.