'I can teach you how to speak my language - Rosetta Stone'

RaiKkoNen

Being wanting to learn spanish for a few years now just never found the time to get round to it. Every time I go abroad I feel like an ignorant english c*nt.

Me too, even worse i'm half spanish lol

Been using rosetta stone recently I got it free though it's pretty good. WIll take a while to learn it though i'm already 120 hours into the course

Yuri got it spot on. I used it for Portuguese and I was pretty comfortable in Brazil for the ten days I was there, and I was in an area where virtually no one spoke any English. But unlike a lot of people using it I researched grammar a lot. I would ask any Brazilian i came across about grammar, would try and work out logics, etc. Basically, after two years of Rosetta stone, reading articles, listening to music, radio shows, watching a lot of tv shows, films dubbed in Portuguese, I was decent but still had problems here and there with grammar. It's only as good as the effort you put in. It's a good starter but definitely no way to learn an entire language.

Really keep hoping that I get an opportunity like work or something to go back out to Brazil for like 3-6 months just so I can improve my Portuguese. Got told that if I spent 3 months out there I would be fluent, so I guess my Portuguese up to that point was pretty decent.

Props on those that can speak multiple languages and others that want to learn another. Really inspired to teach my kids another language and help them have an advantage in life.

Looking to finally learn something now

Tired of only being able to speak one language

But still deciding which one before I dedicate hours and months/years to it

Probably be out of

Spanish

German 

French

So far I am thinking Germany due to money reasons but always had a thing for the Spanish language and French being widely spoken to 

Hmmm

u can only really use german in like two countries, french n spanish can be used all over africa/southamerica/canada respectively

thinkin to pick somethin up when am back at uni

• 1 year later...

so after 11 months in Berlin I've still not grasped the ability to have a basic German conversation :lol: so slack, I guess when I decided I was leaving at the start of the year the proactivity got even worse - but its really easy to get lazy in a city where everyone seems to prefer speaking English - I do want to work on it further though, so will be making an effort to continue after I leave the country

I wanna learn French too, used to be pretty decent in school

how have other people got along?

Its on the lower list of the European languages for speaker numbers

English > Spanish > French > Portuguese > German > the rest

but I might come back to Germany at some time in the future, also I have German speaking family and friends, I've thought about living in Paris for a short while but not for long, not a fan of Spanish or Portuguese either so....yeah

• 2 years later...