Work & Life

Natalie

yeah, referrals help everywhere, especially seeing as its hard to represent your real ability in a CV

like the iOS dev at my old work, they saw his CV and weren't interested but then his referrer said "no, seriously, interview him and give him the code challenge", he easily smashed it and is now probably considered the top mobile dev in the company (out of about 7 developers), he's also the youngest (24 I think)

also if you're going to a new sector they may take a look at certain features of a CV that your last one may not have cared about

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dub said:

got interviews lined up for the jump to Amsterdam - that feeling of movement >> ___

kind of wish I did the whole relocation-package thing though, rent situation in Amsterdam seems worse than Berlin

I've only caught snippets of your career/work life through a few posts I've seen. Really curious - what do you do and how did you get there? I recall you work in a fintech company, and I guess from your post, in Berlin? Always interested in people's back story to overseas jobs, particularly in tech. Although, do you have a technical background? How many working years experience did you have before you went over?

I have such flexible working hours, I think I can spare some time in the evenings to learn a second language to increase some mobility prospects in the future. I know it's not necessary for a lot of European cities and countries, but still considering.

+ Good luck for the interviews!

• Upvote 1

Computer Science bachelor degree > 2.5 years Android dev experience in a mobile development agency in London (loads of different clients) > 1 year at this Berlin fintech startup (Android dev again) > here

I didn't do much to get here tbh (other than be good at what I do),  was just willing to make the jump to Berlin because I was fed up with London. You did something similar going abroad, didn't you? China or something like that?

I'd loved to have really learnt and used German in Berlin, language learning is really interesting, and its nice when you communicate with people in a new way, + its definitely a plus if you want to move upwards in some companies. I'm just really lazy though.

• Upvote 2

Guest Blacksheet
16 hours ago, underwriter said:

ive had highs and lows over the last 4 years believe you me -

now im chopping 240 a day

how things can work out

!!!!!!!

was starting to think not having any qualifications was never gonna get where I really needed to be 

now I earn more than everyone i know with a degree 

everything is timing and persistence 

Sweet. The one company I was keen on maybe working for didn't have an opening in my area, didn't even have a contact email listed for anything other than customer support - but I sent an application to jobs@[company].com and they got back to me just now (next day) saying they were planning on putting up a listing and want an interview :D

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

?... I hate when someone takes over your work and does a poor job

so I'm made to review their work which is already a par (stop being tight with funds and get me to do the actual work FFS)

and then when I tell them about their work their response is along the line of "its fine for now, we don't have enough time, we can improve later"

Handed my notice in today, been a long time coming... time to fix up in this job world now, no more getting comfortable.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Heero Yuy said:

Handed in my notice today, literally going to the perfect job.

working for a software development company that makes scouting and recruitment database management applications for football clubs.

30% pay increase, working with football related data, doing database development, working with some of the biggest clubs and leagues throughout the world.

tumblr_n13kti1Dws1shtg7lo1_r2_400.gif

Recruitment agent belled me about a similar company a few months back and i was fucking gassed... The company was the main supplier to all major sport teams around the world, would of been perfect.

they never got back to me :'(

• Upvote 1