Kurtis

Samsung Must Pay Apple $1bn

162 posts in this topic

thought this was bigger than e den

Apple Samsung patent trial: Jury reaches verdict

A jury has ruled that Samsung should pay Apple just over $1bn (£665m) in damages in an intellectual property lawsuit in the US.

It said that several of Samsung's devices had infringed Apple's software and design patents.

The jury has not yet discussed whether it thinks Apple infringed some of Samsung's intellectual properties.

The iPhone maker had claimed a total of $2.5bn (£1.6bn) in damages. Samsung had sought $519m.

The nine-person jury at the federal court in San Jose, California had to consider 700 questions about each sides' claim that its rival had infringed its intellectual property.

It rejected the South Korean firm's claim that Apple's intellectual properties were invalid.

It said that Samsung was "wilful in its infringement" in many of the cases which is likely to influence the size of the damages.

The judge could still ask the jury to reconsider some of the points if it there are grounds they did not fill in their paperwork properly.

More to follow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19377261

Peak.

But Google warned them.

apple have too many patents , for every lil detail they will demand a patent for it

Like Apple don't have enough money as it is.

*looks at galaxy s3 next to me*

f*ck apple.

Pos. Anyone who's still chasing iPhone's in this day and age needs a slap. Even the Galaxy S2 shits on the iPhone 4S

Stupid

Apple trying to ruin the phone game

Yeah tbh I like what Jobs did in making everyone have to step their game up, but the patent game ruins the overall speed of development in the market.

definate fix.. case is in america, and apparently the jurors were all picked from silicon valley

some of them probably have steve jobs shrines in their homes

S3 next month still the plan

Case would be in the US if its over US patents though wouldn't it?

And tech professionals (from Silicon Valley) to settle a tech case would make sense wouldn't it?

I'm far from a apple fan boy but the original Galaxy S is a blatant copy of the iPhone 3g/s in many ways

f*ck apple.

Pos. Anyone who's still chasing iPhone's in this day and age needs a slap. Even the Galaxy S2 shits on the iPhone 4S

No

f*ck apple.

apple is just sore Samsung been cleaning up the market and are a step ahead of them

didn't this case get laughed out in Europe and Asia but apple wins it in the usa

Samsung will stay winning though, most of the components inside apple belong to samsung. They will now bump up the price for those bits.

Oh wow, I didn't even know Samsung had a higher smartphone market share.

Apple are salty but they do have a right to be I guess, the Galaxy is a cat.

Without Apple the mobile phone market wouldn't even be where it is today so they have a right to protect what they think is theirs, anyone would really.

The competition is good for us the consumer but I ain't mad at Apple.

Samsung will stay winning though, most of the components inside apple belong to samsung. They will now bump up the price for those bits.

Case would be in the US if its over US patents though wouldn't it?

And tech professionals (from Silicon Valley) to settle a tech case would make sense wouldn't it?

you dont get a jury of tech professionals, just as you dont get a jury of lawyers and forensic experts in a murder casejust like the judge wasnt a 'tech professional'

meh, is what it is

kHLka.jpg

Like someone said looking at the iphone vs that first samsung was like looking at near twin phones

They better not tweak the software on the S3. I will avoid updating the software if it means I will lose my pinch to zoom and alike.