Samsung Must Pay Apple $1bn

Kurtis

tbh he's the one who said he's gonna crush android or whatever

yeah

According to extracts of Mr Isaacson's book, obtained by the Associated Press, Mr Jobs said: "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

He is also quoted as saying: "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion [£25bn] in the bank, to right this wrong."

im sorry but i dont really see what youre getting at

if you mean windows was stolen from mac, Steve Jobs visited the Xerox PARC project and saw they were making a desktop with a GUI and he stole it

Nokia S60 had apps before iPhone

multitouch was invented in the 70's (they own some wierd patent for small devices with a glass display or some sh*t)

etc etc cant think of anymore

This just hasn't been Samsung's summer. On top of Apple winning its earliest civil lawsuit against Samsung, the International Trade Commission has just handed out an initial determination that Apple didn't violate any of four Samsung patents (including two reportedly standards-essential examples) by offering the iPad and iPhone. While Judge James Gildea didn't publicly outline why Apple was in the clear, he added that Samsung lacks a domestic business that uses the patents -- important when it's trying to claim economic harm in the US. The verdict still gives Samsung at least four months' room to breathe while the ITC reviews the decision, but it's hard to see Samsung enjoying the reduced offensive strength when it's already on the defensive in American courtrooms.

Motorola loses rubber-banding patent case against Apple in Germany

Not long after its stateside patent win against Samsung has Apple secured another victory against Android, this time for an overscrolling bounce-back patent against Motorola in Germany. The win will likely mean a sales injunction as soon as Apple posts its 25 million euro bond, and for an extra 10 million euros, it can get Motorola to destroy the infringing devices. For another 10 million euros beyond that, Apple can force Motorola to announce a recall. It's worth noting that pushing that hard will also give Motorola a chance to appeal. Moto will also have a shot at appealing the damages for past infringement.

Motorola has been contesting the validity of this patent, "List Scrolling and Document Translation, Scaling, and Rotation on a Touch-screen display", through the entire case, though Apple has defended it successfully so far and will do so one more time in Mannheim Regional Court on December 7 before all is said and done.

Although Google owns Motorola and any patent wins against them ultimately affects Android, stock Android has been using glow effects instead of rubber-banding for overscrolling for some time now. At worst, it's a mild irritant that Google has to find work-arounds for these sort of things, but they're ultimately small details that won't significantly impact the Android experience.

There's been quite a bit of talk about how many companies will sue Apple for LTE patent infringement once the iPhone 5 launches, which may be considerably more difficult to get around depending on who files the lawsuits and on what grounds. Should stuff like rubber-banding be patentable, or does it too obvious to be laid claim to? How many of Apple's complaints up to this point have you seen as valid? Has Google's investment in Motorola as a patent bulwark proven to be effective or is it more of a liability?

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-loses-rubber-banding-patent-case-against-apple-germany

Woz on the Apple v Samsung patent fights: 'I hate it'

Bloomberg has posted a short interview with Apple co-founder and everyone's favorite geek Steve Wozniak, and part of it spoke about the ongoing legal battles between Apple and Samsung. Woz, who is a tech fan in general and has went on record praising Android, doesn't seem to like the direction his old employer is heading.

“I hate it,” Wozniak said when asked about the patent fights between Apple and Samsung. “I don’t think the decision of California will hold. And I don’t agree with it -- very small things I don’t really call that innovative.

“I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”

He also spoke about the updated camera in the new iPhone 5, which he hopes has improved because his friends tell him that his Galaxy S3 (Galaxy S III) and Motorola RAZR takes better pictures than his iPhone 4 does. We have to wonder why he is using an old iPhone, but agree that the Galaxy S3 can take some awful nice pictures.

Maybe Woz is a bit idealistic, but it helps us remember that not everyone wants thermonuclear patent war.

http://www.androidce...ights-i-hate-it

Unfortunately that isn't mostly true. Most advancements are profit driven. While many idea guys are happy to push out openly because they just want it to be there for advancements to happen, most people can't be putting much time/money behind it unless it will bring back some profit.

Apple loses German patent case against Samsung, Motorola over touch-screen devices

BERLIN — A German court has dismissed Apple Inc.’s claim that Samsung Electronics and Google Inc.’s Motorola Mobility infringed patents used in touch-screen devices.

The Mannheim state court’s ruling Friday follows similar decisions in Britain and the Netherlands.

http://www.washingto...5f97_story.html

Woz on the Apple v Samsung patent fights: 'I hate it'

Bloomberg has posted a short interview with Apple co-founder and everyone's favorite geek Steve Wozniak, and part of it spoke about the ongoing legal battles between Apple and Samsung. Woz, who is a tech fan in general and has went on record praising Android, doesn't seem to like the direction his old employer is heading.

“I hate it,” Wozniak said when asked about the patent fights between Apple and Samsung. “I don’t think the decision of California will hold. And I don’t agree with it -- very small things I don’t really call that innovative.

“I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”

He also spoke about the updated camera in the new iPhone 5, which he hopes has improved because his friends tell him that his Galaxy S3 (Galaxy S III) and Motorola RAZR takes better pictures than his iPhone 4 does. We have to wonder why he is using an old iPhone, but agree that the Galaxy S3 can take some awful nice pictures.

Maybe Woz is a bit idealistic, but it helps us remember that not everyone wants thermonuclear patent war.

http://www.androidce...ights-i-hate-it

Remember when he made a cameo in big bang theory :lol:

Jobs was a prick tbh

• Downvote 1

Apple patent application has iPhones text when calls don't reach spotty coverage areas

apple-iphone-spotty-coverage-patent.jpg

If you're already using Android 4.0 or iOS 6, you're likely familiar with the option to send a pre-made text reply to incoming calls you can't take. But what if it's your own call that won't go through, at no fault of your own? Apple may have that covered through a patent application that could keep the accusations to a minimum. If flaky reception at the destination prevents your call from connecting, the proposed idea has your iPhone automatically send a text message indicating that you've at least tried to get in touch. Recipients with Apple's hardware contribute to their own solution in this world: the message code is a cue to measure the signal strength and flag the location as a weak point in the carrier's network. Whether or not Apple acts on its concept is as much of a mystery as with most other patents, although we're hoping it becomes real. If anything's going to strain a relationship, it shouldn't be dodgy coverage.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/apple-patent-application-has-iphones-text-when-calls-dont-arrive/

• 4 weeks later...