Less appreciated in Football Defensive/Holding Midfielder vs Number 9 fox in the box

MurderBlues

Which is less appreciated? I don't include the likes of Viera as a Holding Midfielder as he was Box to Box even tho his defensive ability was amazing but he was an all rounder could dribble, pass, shoot as well as tackle and i don't include Shearer/Fowler/Andy Cole as the typical number 9 poacher fox in the box as these Strikers even tho they were out and out Strikers were also great outside the box and scored alot of goals from long range, linked up play, sometimes took free kicks etc.

Tbh there aren't many pure defensive mids anymore, in the mould of say makelele. The ones at top clubs are technically sound and not just butchers who destroy attacks and play simple passes. However I think fox in the box type players are vastly over rated. Darren bent is a perfect example. No touch, no link up play, but you'll find plenty people who will say he's one of England's best forwards. Finishing he's world class anything else he wouldn't look out of place in league 1.

Tbh finishing is the hardest thing to do in the game so strikers should and will always get the money/applause.

There are some very good mids out there but to find a striker who can get you more than 20 goals a season, there ain't many available.

Yeah, he started out upfront

The story of this central midfielder is better understood if you look at his origins. A footballer from the cradle who once aspired to join Real Madrid, he always used to go to games with his grandfather Juan because his father, Carles, played as a goalkeeper for Barça at the time – but infrequently as he was in the shadow of Andoni Zubizarreta. He was a different sort of goalkeeper because he liked to dribble, played in tracksuit bottoms and was labelled by L'Equipe a goalkeeper without hands after the 1991 Cup Winners' Cup final which Barça lost to Manchester United (courtesy of two Mark Hughes goals).

Busi inherited his feet "and much more," says Tito Vilanova, the new Barça coach. "He's got good positional sense, covers a lot of ground, has good pass selection and doesn't overcomplicate."

Guardiola thought the same when he coached Sergio in the third division, in Barcelona's second team, when he decided to transform him from a centre-forward to the pivot with one piece of advice: "If you get fouled, it's your own fault. Play faster!"

http://www.guardian....sergio-busquets

I used to think finishing was the hardest thing to do

For me it has become dribbling

As for holding midfielders

No top team deploys DM's who are there just to break up play no more

The top teams have DLP in place and come to think it are actually better than a lot of attacking midfielders.

/

Busquets plays deeper than Lampard/Merelies/Khedira/Kevin Nolan but I know who is the superior footballer of this group

Busquets plays deeper than Lampard/Merelies/Khedira/Kevin Nolan but I know who is the superior footballer of this group

That list of players all play completely different positions. Id even go as far as to say Kevin Nolan in particular basically plays off the strikers. you're not comparing like with like.

And dribbling is definitely not a hard skill, anyone with technique and pace can dribble. there are plenty of people with technique and pace who cant finish