Trio who robbed young mums jailed for total of 46 years

Vertigo

Some cowardly trampy guys.

article-2200051-14E2B49E000005DC-6_196x283.jpgarticle-2200051-14E2B4A9000005DC-520_196x283.jpgarticle-2200051-14E2B87F000005DC-358_196x283.jpg

Williams: Jailed for 17 years Lord: Given eight and a half years Byom: Sentenced to 21 years

Three vicious robbers dubbed the Nappy Valley stranglers were jailed yesterday for a crime spree that targeted wealthy young mothers.

The trio singled out vulnerable lone women as they walked their children in pushchairs along the street in daylight. Disguised with motorcycle helmets, hoods and balaclavas, they crept up on victims from behind and stripped expensive rings from their fingers after throttling them until they blacked out.

Some of the victims, including one who was seven months pregnant and walking a 17-month-old baby, feared they would be killed.Detectives believe the men made more than £100,000 by selling the jewellery to a corrupt businessman in London’s Hatton Garden district. The career criminals, responsible for hundreds of violent offences between them, spent the cash on overseas holidays and shopping sprees for designer clothes.

Perrie Williams, 26, terrorised the affluent Battersea, Clapham and Fulham areas of South West London – known as Nappy Valley because of its high number of families with young children – with his school friends Christopher Byom, 29, and Anton Lord, 33.

After stalking their victims on motorcycle or by car, they strangled them with a potentially deadly grip on the carotid artery in their necks. Some of the women were punched and kicked, including one who needed reconstructive surgery to her jaw.

The thugs would kick and punch the defenceless women into surrendering their jewellery which they would cash in at Hatton Garden.

From there they would take their girlfriends to Westfield shopping centre to spend the proceeds of their violent robberies. One of the gang, 26-year-old Perrie Williams, had to apply for an emergency loan to boost his benefit payments in February 2011. A month later he was holidaying in Miami.

It can now be revealed Williams’s life of crime began when he kidnapped a 13-year-old boy in an attack that shocked the nation and was compared to the killing of James Bulger.

He and two accomplices abducted Michael Servante and strung him up by his feet before beating him to within an inch of his life in 2000 when he was just 15. But he has never been named publicly in connection with the crime because of an anonymity order imposed by an Old Bailey judge. It emerged yesterday that he began strangling and robbing minicab drivers within a month of his release from the seven-year jail term in December 2006.

The most shocking was an attack on a pregnant woman who was grabbed and choked in front of her baby in Clapham. Her £11,000 engagement was stolen and she came round to find her child screaming in an upturned pushchair. In another case a victim’s seven-year-old son was left with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Once the men were finally in custody for the robberies police put their lifestyles under minute scrutiny and discovered they were responsible for an extraordinary crime spree. They uncovered photographs of the men posing with bundles of £50 notes and found they were linked to robberies and burglaries spanning more than a decade. Two of them admitted hundreds of crimes in a bid to wipe the slate clean. Unemployed Byom confessed to 257 crimes, including robbing bookmakers, taxi drivers and train passengers over a decade, in some cases while armed with a gun.

Lord, who wore a £4,000 Rolex watch, admitted raids on Post Offices and betting shops.

They were convicted of nine robberies but detectives suspect they were behind dozens more. Byom, of Clapham, was jailed for 21 years; Williams, of Wandsworth, was jailed for 17 years and Lord, of Croydon, who pleaded guilty, was jailed for eight and a half years.

I don't get why they would need to strangle them? Surely most would just hand over their sh*t no questions asked

One of the guys liked to strangle them. Probably thought it would surprise them and stop them screaming for help.

During the trial the court heard Williams at first targeted lone cab drivers late at night in 2007. In 2010 he, Byom and Lord switched their focus to young mothers. One victim, a mother of three told how she was attacked as she walked home with her children.

Emma Enticott had collected Louis, five, Max, three, and Theo, nearly two, from a party and were chatting happily as they neared their house.

She had noticed a car which seemed suspicious but was unprepared for someone suddenly grabbing her round the throat from behind. She says: “He had his hands around my neck squeezing and I just thought ‘go floppy’, play dead. I pretended I was unconscious but he just kept going, squeezing the life out of me. I could hear my kids screaming for their lives beside me.

“Finally when he thought I was a goner he laid me out on the pavement and then I wacked him. People have since told me there was someone else jumping on my body and holding me while the main guy grabbed my hand and shouted ‘give me your wedding ring bitch’.

“Thank god my husband had heard the noise and rushed out and chased them down to their car.”