Feds to start rolling with di ganz soon?

Lacoste

Unarmed woman police officer shot dead and another fighting for her life after fugitive 'one-eyed hitman' sparks gun and grenade battle on Greater Manchester estate

• Officers gunned down while attending 'routine incident' in Tameside, Greater Manchester
  • Dale Cregan, 29, walked into a police station shortly afterwards and was arrested on suspicion of the officer's murder
  • Cregan also arrested over the separate killings of David Short in August and his son Mark in May

By ROB PREECE

PUBLISHED: 12:39, 18 September 2012 | UPDATED: 13:45, 18 September 2012

Enlarge article-2189120-147BB122000005DC-548_306x423.jpg

Suspect: Two police officers were shot during the arrest of Dale Cregan (pictured), who was wanted in connection with the killings of a father and son

Two female police officers were killed today when they were gunned down shortly while attending what their force described as a 'routine incident'.

Colleagues were seen running away in tears after the unarmed officers were shot at in Tameside, Greater Manchester.

It is understood a grenade was also used in the incident.

One of the officers died at the scene. The other was taken to hospital but died later.

Shortly after the shootings, Dale Cregan, 29, walked into a police station and was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Cregan was being sought in connection with separate gun and grenade attacks that killed a father and son.

Residents living near the scene on a housing estate in Mottram, Hyde, described 'around 13 shots' being fired earlier this morning.

Cregan was being sought in connection with the killing of David Short, 46, at his home in Clayton on August 10.

Cregan was also being sought in connection with the death of Mr Short's son Mark, who was killed in a shooting at the Cotton Tree pub in Droylsden on May 25.

A statement issued by Greater Manchester Police said: 'A police officer has died and another has been critically injured as they attended a routine incident at Abbey Gardens in Hattersley, Tameside shortly before 11am today.

'There were reports that shots were fired.

'The two female police officers, who were unarmed, suffered serious injuries and one officer tragically died at the scene.

article-2204991-15136D21000005DC-86_634x356.jpg

The cordon near Abbey Gardens in Hattersley, Tameside, where two female police officers were gunned down

article-2204991-15136D06000005DC-30_634x357.jpg

A police officer seals off the scene in Tameside, Greater Manchester Police, where the shootings happened

'Medical teams were quickly on the scene to provide treatment and armed response vehicles have secured the area.

'The second officer has been critically injured and is being treated at hospital.

More...

'We are currently working to inform the families of these officers.

'A short time later, 29-year-old Dale Cregan was arrested after he walked into a police station in Tameside.

article-2189120-148A23A4000005DC-470_634x429.jpg

Cregan was wanted over the deaths of David Short (left) and his son Mark (right), who were killed in separate gun and grenade attacks

'Cregan has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder in relation to the investigations into the murders of David Short and Mark Short

'He has also been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a police officer.'

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: 'This is a heartbreaking time for the officers' families and colleagues and our thoughts are with them.

article-2204991-1513412F000005DC-996_306x423.jpg

Wanted: Police had offered a £50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Dale Cregan

'This is a tragic day for the whole Force and we are currently piecing together exactly what happened this morning, which has led to one of our officers being murdered and another lying in hospital fighting for their life.

'I understand that the community will be fearful as they hear news of what has happened this morning. We have armed officers patrolling the area and we will aim to keep people updated as much as we can.'

Pictures released by police show Mr Cregan with a fake onyx eye - although he is believed to have several normal-looking eyes in different colours.

He apparently told friends he lost his eye after being hit with a knuckle duster during a fight with police in Thailand.

A £50,000 reward was offered for information leading to the arrest of Cregan who police wanted to speak to about the murders of David Short, 46, and his son Mark, 23.

David Short was killed at his home in Folkestone Road East, Clayton, on August 10, while Mark was gunned down at the Cotton Tree pub in Droylsden on May 25.

A gunman walked into the pub and fired shots which injured three other men.

A post-mortem examination showed Mark Short died from a gunshot wound to the neck.

Four men have been charged in connection with his murder and are due to enter pleas at Manchester Crown Court in November.

Earlier this month a 33-year-old man appeared at Manchester Crown Court charged with the murder of David Short.

article-2204991-15133E52000005DC-409_634x572.jpg

Killing: Mark Short, 23, was shot dead in the Cotton Tree Inn pub in Droylsden, in May|

The Short family have been at loggerheads with a rival family for more than 10 years but it spilled into bloodshed in May when Mark Short was killed.

It is understood David Short vowed revenge for his son's death and had threatened to murder relatives of his son's killer in retaliation.

It is believed he may have been killed in a 'pre-emptive strike'.

It is also understood that David Short had been repeatedly warned that his life was in danger and had taken to wearing a bulletproof vest as far back as eight years ago.

By 2004, police had issued him with three 'Osman' warnings - served when officers receive intelligence that someone is at risk of serious harm or being killed.

They can lead to people being placed under police protection.

In 2006 David Short was jailed for six years for possessing a firearm with intent, after he and Mark drove a gunman away from a street where shots were fired in broad daylight.

Six months after the shooting, David Short battered a man during a drunken row at the Garibaldi pub in Gorton, which led to a conviction for wounding.

Short had been in the dock years earlier when, back in the nineties, he was accused of intimidating a witness after threatening a woman while wearing a balaclava.

Short's son Mark also had a history of violence.

He admitted firearms offences following the 2006 incident involving his father, but was spared a stint in a young offenders' institution.

Today's shooting has chilling echoes of the killing of West Yorkshire Police officer Pc Sharon Beshenivsky, who was shot dead while on duty in November 2005.

Pc Beshenivsky and her colleague Pc Teresa Milburn were shot by a gang of robbers fleeing a travel agency in Bradford city centre in November 2005.

Pc Milburn survived but Pc Beshenivsky became the first woman police officer to be shot and killed on duty since Yvonne Fletcher was gunned down outside the Libyan embassy in London in 1984.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz26pIBnojo

• Upvote 1

the other officer fighting for her life has died btw...think GMP have took a huge L on this one considerin this man had already bodied 2 people this year but because it was a case of gangsters killingg gangsters the manhunt for him wasnt as serious as it would have been if he had bodied 2 ordinary people....with all the controversy surrounding mark duggan and now this i wouldnt be surprised if people start fishing for more officers except fr armed response to have firearms...gona be a lot of ppl with egg on their faces after this saga

The day feds are given guns to roam the streets with is the day I move to another country

people always come up with this talk

I was actually thinking about this yesterday if they carried guns will be a load more black people dead

Dale will go down in folklaw got two more pigs off the street

• Upvote 1

The day feds are given guns to roam the streets with is the day I move to another country

thing is this is slyly coming into effect without anyone really noticing.

its now pretty routine in most areas to have armed responder vehicles just casually driving around, which wouldnt have been the case a few years back. it shocked me working in various security jobs how often arv's would turn up to do standard police stuff, bear in mind im talking about areas with basically zero gun crime.

Another thing i dont think ppl realize is how much police work is being done by private security firms these days. For instance i used to work in a big horrible super club on an industrial estate, when you turfed someone, they had no where to go so they would just hang around outside fighting each other, the duty manager would call the police to get them carted off somewhere but what would often turn up was this g4s paddy wagon, and they would bundle all the pissheads in and transport them to the local nick. Imagine that, you call the police and some g4s herberts turn up.

/

baffled to why unarmed officers were attempting to apprehend this one eyed fella, seems strange to me.

R.I.P, condolences to their families.

Whole situations f*cked don't care how chauvinistic it sounds, when Officers are being given partners it should never be two females.

/

If police are given guns the countries f*cked, two people I went school with became feds, I'd put a gun in my worst enemies hands before I would either of those two wallys.

Grenades and Glocks with extended clips, yeah? I wouldn't be surprised if that Glock (and it is clearly a Glock, you only need eyes) was brought in by the American dude who supposedly smuggled over 100 guns in from North Carolina.

A former US marine who packed pistols into his luggage and smuggled them aboard commercial flights from the US to Britain has been jailed for 10 years by an American judge.

Steven Greenoe was accused of purchasing 63 pistols from gun shops in and around Raleigh, North Carolina and taking them apart before hiding the components in suitcases and carrying them to Britain, where they could be sold for 10 times the price he had paid.

The case, first reported last year, exposed serious flaws in aviation security and prompted incredulity in Washington and London.

Steven Cardwell, a 31-year-old Liverpool man who helped 38-year-old Greenoe smuggle guns, had previously been given an indeterminate sentence. Liverpool crown court heard that Cardwell obtained scores of weapons from Greenoe. He will not be eligible for parole for at least 11 years.

Cardwell was found guilty of conspiracy to import, sell and possess prohibited firearms with intent to endanger life following a four-week trial. Judge Elgan Edwards told Cardwell he had committed "extremely grave crimes".

Last year, the US lawyer George Holding said: "The magnitude of this case touches not only US citizens but also our great British allies."

After the sentencing on Tuesday, Brock Nicholson, the special agent in charge of US immigration and customs enforcement, said Greenoe "has potentially put the safety of countless law-abiding British citizens at risk".

The guns are known to have been used in a fatal shooting and gangland drive-by shootings. A large proportion remain in circulation.

The investigation had begun early in 2010 when police on Merseyside recovered a number of new handguns and traced them to North Carolina. Greenoe, who was married to a British woman at the time, was detained on 25 July that year at Raleigh-Durham airport as he checked four bags onto a flight to Manchester via Atlanta.

Officials found 16 pistols in the luggage, broken down into barrels, slides and receivers, along with 32 magazine clips. They also found a letter stating that Greenoe was shipping "inert, non-working" firearm samples. In fact, they were functioning weapons.

Police described Greenoe, who claimed to have previously worked as a bodyguard for Madonna, as a Walter Mitty character. His former wife, Elizabeth, said she saw Facebook photographs of her then husband in the company of stars including George Clooney, Matt Damon and Madonna.

Of the 81 firearms purchased in US gun shops by Greenoe, at least 63 were smuggled to the UK. Only 10 have been recovered.

The Times reported on Wednesday that a Skype conversation between Greenoe and Cardwell in January was filed with the court in Greenville, North Carolina, where Greenoe was sentenced.

"£1,000 for 1,000 rounds of Magtech … as we are bringing in lots of nines," Greenoe says, according to the transcript of the conversation from February 2010, adding: "Follow up parts for the P38 we already sold him are on me."

He pleaded guilty last year to exporting firearms from the US without a licence and travelling in foreign commerce to deal in firearms without a licence, but has also portrayed himself as the victim of a smear campaign and claimed he was working for a government agency.

"The Justice Department doesn't know and who trained me won't say, which makes them angry," he wrote in a letter to his uncle that was also filed with the court. "In their anger, they are trying to say my actions were for criminal profit even though no such evidence exists … it was for duty, what my whole life has been, and it was sadly in vain as I'm disposable now."

Speaking after Cardwell's sentencing, Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Richardson, the head of the north-west regional organised crime unit, promised to protect people who came forward with information, saying: "I won't rest until all those firearms are safely in the hands of the police." He described Cardwell as a "criminal businessman dealing in death and misery".

The US authorities thanked the British police for their help in the investigation.

Man got 10 years to serve in the US, his co-dee is doing life here.

baffled to why unarmed officers were attempting to apprehend this one eyed fella, seems strange to me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204991/The-policewomen-murdered-cold-blood-Officers-aged-32-23-lured-estate-false-burglary-report-shot-dead-fugitive-eyed-hitman-hands-station.html

turns out they were set up with a false burglary report.