dont apply for jobs if ur name is Ade,olu, afgan, singh, panjit,wanjeer

MARVELL

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/work/if-my-failure-to-get-a-job-is-because-of-racial-bias-it-shouldnt-be-ignored-8163129.html

new-Campiagn-on-Yo.jpg

Melisha Kaur took out a piece of paper with her photo and a nametag that said: “Unemployed dead-ender — No future”. The east Londoner who left school with three A-levels (A-C) and eight good GCSEs was trying to distil “how it feels to be unemployed for over a year”. “That’s my self-portrait,” she said. “Nineteen years old, part of the generation destroyed by unemployment.”
There was a hint of anger in her voice. She sat down, composed herself, and launched into her story. “Since I left sixth form, I have applied for over 2,500 jobs.
A damning report by the Department for Work and Pensions sheds some light on the subject. It shows that people with white names are 74 per cent more likely to get called for an interview following a job application than candidates with an ethnic minority name, despite the two candidates having exactly the same qualifications. Their report, “A test for racial discrimination in recruitment practice in British cities”, involved submitting job applications from fictional white and ethnic minority applicants with equivalent qualifications for advertised vacancies across Britain in order to determine the extent of racial discrimination in the labour market.

It revealed that “a high level of racial discrimination” existed “across the board”, with ethnic minority candidates having to submit nearly twice as many job applications as white candidates to achieve the same level of success. Discrimination persisted across gender, though it was noticeably higher for males.

but as usual, the daemons came out the woodwork and lol@ the comments. even though the standard is just as bad and probably woudlnt employ Ade or Khan either.</p>

• Downvote 1

Bait, wheres she finding 2500 jobs to apply to lol? I know them ones though bare guys saying theyve applied to 1000 jobs since uni, I always felt I'd applied for hundreds at least, I actually did a count last year was less than 40 but having no work is just generally draining and you feel shits a lot worse than it actually is.

on a related note, any hard faces brothers in america are pissed. wonder if it applies here... you man working in the city, do you have di hard nubian face?

If given the chance, Science will jump over mountains to point out that we're more superficial than we think. The business world is no exception -- in fact, a study by Duke University found that "competent looks" had a direct correlation to the paycheck of a given CEO. The traits that implied competence were craggy, rugged, mature facial features, presumably because we want business leaders who go home to wrestle a bear in a log cabin. Fair enough.

But that study mostly involved white CEOs. A study of black CEOs found the exact opposite -- their success was directly related to how "baby-faced" they were.

145049_v1.jpgPhotos.com

"Give this man a pacifier and make him our new CFO!"

Here's how they figured out the correlation: Whiteys were shown 40 headshots of black men, white women and white men who were current or former CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Then the subjects were asked to judge personalities based on the headshots, because we really don't judge people based on their headshots enough in this world. Did the people look competent? Warm and friendly? How much money did they make? Were they good in bed? Did they pee in the shower? You know, the usual things you can tell from a headshot.

So then things took a turn for the oddly specific. Black men who had rounder faces were perceived to not only earn more money but have higher positions within their companies. The crazy part was that those ridiculous predictions were right! The black guys with baby faces really did earn more money than their black counterparts who were more facially chiseled. Can you guess why? If your answer started with an "r" and rhymed with "fascism" if "fascism" had a long "a" sound, then you're right. One of the researchers put it this way:

To function effectively as an African-American male in the U.S. it helps to have a disarming mechanism.

145050_v1.jpg

"No, sir, his face is pretty square. I figured it's better to be safe than sorry, you know?"

And by "disarming mechanism," he means something that makes white people think you're not out to hurt them, even though they're asking for it by requiring a disarming mechanism in the first place. In this case, the thing that helped these real world CEOs get ahead in their field was something they couldn't help -- the shape of their face. But there are other times when a Harvard degree, friendly smiles or a pair of suspenders can do the trick. Look at President Obama, after all. No one can say that lean BHO is sporting a baby face. Except the president happens to have another trick up his sleeve:

Big ears or a simple smile can disarm one's appearance from suggested perceptions of threat that might otherwise be associated with black males. This could serve to increase the appeal of the president or even one of Hollywood's most successful actors -- Will Smith.

145051_v1.jpg

Read more: 5 Random Factors That Determine Whether You Succeed in Life | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.c...l#ixzz27Kgpjwbb

http://www.standard....ed-8163129.html

new-Campiagn-on-Yo.jpg

Melisha Kaur took out a piece of paper with her photo and a nametag that said: “Unemployed dead-ender — No future”. The east Londoner who left school with three A-levels (A-C) and eight good GCSEs was trying to distil “how it feels to be unemployed for over a year”. “That’s my self-portrait,” she said. “Nineteen years old, part of the generation destroyed by unemployment.”
There was a hint of anger in her voice. She sat down, composed herself, and launched into her story. “Since I left sixth form, I have applied for over 2,500 jobs.
A damning report by the Department for Work and Pensions sheds some light on the subject. It shows that people with white names are 74 per cent more likely to get called for an interview following a job application than candidates with an ethnic minority name, despite the two candidates having exactly the same qualifications. Their report, “A test for racial discrimination in recruitment practice in British cities”, involved submitting job applications from fictional white and ethnic minority applicants with equivalent qualifications for advertised vacancies across Britain in order to determine the extent of racial discrimination in the labour market.

It revealed that “a high level of racial discrimination” existed “across the board”, with ethnic minority candidates having to submit nearly twice as many job applications as white candidates to achieve the same level of success. Discrimination persisted across gender, though it was noticeably higher for males.

but as usual, the daemons came out the woodwork and lol@ the comments. even though the standard is just as bad and probably woudlnt employ Ade or Khan either.</p>

That's bollox. I've been unemployed for over 10 years and I've applied for about 5000 jobs gaining only 3 interviews out of this but all unsuccessful in the end. Don't see me using the race card. I keep my chin up and crack on with it.

on a related note, any hard faces brothers in america are pissed. wonder if it applies here... you man working in the city, do you have di hard nubian face?

If given the chance, Science will jump over mountains to point out that we're more superficial than we think. The business world is no exception -- in fact, a study by Duke University found that "competent looks" had a direct correlation to the paycheck of a given CEO. The traits that implied competence were craggy, rugged, mature facial features, presumably because we want business leaders who go home to wrestle a bear in a log cabin. Fair enough.

But that study mostly involved white CEOs. A study of black CEOs found the exact opposite -- their success was directly related to how "baby-faced" they were.

145049_v1.jpgPhotos.com

"Give this man a pacifier and make him our new CFO!"

Here's how they figured out the correlation: Whiteys were shown 40 headshots of black men, white women and white men who were current or former CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Then the subjects were asked to judge personalities based on the headshots, because we really don't judge people based on their headshots enough in this world. Did the people look competent? Warm and friendly? How much money did they make? Were they good in bed? Did they pee in the shower? You know, the usual things you can tell from a headshot.

So then things took a turn for the oddly specific. Black men who had rounder faces were perceived to not only earn more money but have higher positions within their companies. The crazy part was that those ridiculous predictions were right! The black guys with baby faces really did earn more money than their black counterparts who were more facially chiseled. Can you guess why? If your answer started with an "r" and rhymed with "fascism" if "fascism" had a long "a" sound, then you're right. One of the researchers put it this way:

To function effectively as an African-American male in the U.S. it helps to have a disarming mechanism.

145050_v1.jpg

"No, sir, his face is pretty square. I figured it's better to be safe than sorry, you know?"

And by "disarming mechanism," he means something that makes white people think you're not out to hurt them, even though they're asking for it by requiring a disarming mechanism in the first place. In this case, the thing that helped these real world CEOs get ahead in their field was something they couldn't help -- the shape of their face. But there are other times when a Harvard degree, friendly smiles or a pair of suspenders can do the trick. Look at President Obama, after all. No one can say that lean BHO is sporting a baby face. Except the president happens to have another trick up his sleeve:

Big ears or a simple smile can disarm one's appearance from suggested perceptions of threat that might otherwise be associated with black males. This could serve to increase the appeal of the president or even one of Hollywood's most successful actors -- Will Smith.

145051_v1.jpg

Read more: 5 Random Factors That Determine Whether You Succeed in Life | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.c...l#ixzz27Kgpjwbb

but isn't this f*cked up

living life to be as least threatening to white people so can get ahead