dont apply for jobs if ur name is Ade,olu, afgan, singh, panjit,wanjeer

MARVELL

A damning report by the Department for Work and Pensions sheds some light on the subject. It shows that people with white names are 74 per cent more likely to get called for an interview following a job application than candidates with an ethnic minority name, despite the two candidates having exactly the same qualifications.

You man give me jokes

read that

and are like yea, you just need to make sure you really customise your application to Tesco's rather then send the same thing you sent in to Asda's....

jkers

the english favouring the english in racism shocker

yet more money piled into useless divisive reports

21st century england hey lads, what a place

not only should we be happy to fill the lands with randomers, but we must favour them over our own to avoid the label of racism

lol at that amount of young asian lads really bein out of work, cash in handers more like

been readin the study, i notice the eastern europeans were left out of the study to centre it more around "racism"

don't most people say what nationality / ethnicity they are on applications / CVs or don't that happen anymore, just wondering why its based around names rather than ethnicity, maybe it's more damning

interesting how apparently this discrimination is less likely at the higher level occupations than lower, goes against what some fellas were sayin the other day

the report shows that ethnics best bet is the public sector, only 4% difference

if the report was put into any real context it would actually show the unbelievable amount of opportunities available for foreigners in this country, even at a time of economic turmoil and mass unemployment

should be contrasted with the results of the same report based in other countries, european 1s, asian 1s etc

or even indian / pakistani / foreign run businesses n their recruitment in the uk tbh

but nope just more guilt n anger fueling blame games

• Upvote 3

Think they were talking about graduate positions specifically

not all definite graduate jobs but not shelf stacking either

chances are for bottom end jobs foreigners would be picked over english cos of a lower turnover rate, probably why they've been left out

the report looked at applications for: IT Technician, Accountant, HR Manager, Teaching assistant, IT Support, Accounts clerk, Office assistant, Care assistant.

the english favouring the english in racism shocker

yet more money piled into useless divisive reports

21st century england hey lads, what a place

not only should we be happy to fill the lands with randomers, but we must favour them over our own to avoid the label of racism

lol at that amount of young asian lads really bein out of work, cash in handers more like

been readin the study, i notice the eastern europeans were left out of the study to centre it more around "racism"

don't most people say what nationality / ethnicity they are on applications / CVs or don't that happen anymore, just wondering why its based around names rather than ethnicity, maybe it's more damning

interesting how apparently this discrimination is less likely at the higher level occupations than lower, goes against what some fellas were sayin the other day

the report shows that ethnics best bet is the public sector, only 4% difference

if the report was put into any real context it would actually show the unbelievable amount of opportunities available for foreigners in this country, even at a time of economic turmoil and mass unemployment

should be contrasted with the results of the same report based in other countries, european 1s, asian 1s etc

or even indian / pakistani / foreign run businesses n their recruitment in the uk tbh

but nope just more guilt n anger fueling blame games

in b4 "racist"

Can't believe 2,500. That simply can't be true.

Wonder how many of those 2500 had the words "Telephone customer service" in the job title. Thats basically what I did for 4 years after leaving university (not on the phones though)

And I say the experience I gathered doing that helped me find my current well paid job with excellent future prospects. I worked in f*ck*ng M&S and McDonalds in College, work is work is work is work and you have to be willing to do it if you want to earn the big bucks unfortunately not every graduate can be lucky enough to get a great job right off the bat but with hard work its alot easier to get there in the end.

And I'm one big black scary looking motherf*cker

To be fair applying and job hunting is an actual skill and a job in its self.

Most people including my self (for a while) just used to post sh*t out there without out attacking each position differently..

I am not denying the fact that names & race could be a selecting factor in certain selection process.

First, CV as to be on point. I cringe when I look at my old copies of CV's that I had before my sis (A recruitment consultant) tweaked it up for me.

And the results improved drastically.

2500 application sounds like bull to me..

I am seeking a new role as I type and feeling in 5 applications PROPERLY in a day is Long & a time demanding task if you do it properly.

So, there is no way you are feeling 2500 within a short space of time and if you aren't getting any responses then something is definitely wrong with your CV or your life tbh

No doubt there is favoritism and racism is many occasions, but you have to get basics right first to argue your case

its not racist

just difficult to find a functioning professinoal black person imo

specially in my field

im shocked when i come across a uk born afroc caribean doctor...

african not so much

Ever been to a Carribean Hospital in the Carribean? Come to think of it there is an extensive list of Countries or Races of whom I haven't seen personally in the medical profession but its never suprised me, because I'm not a racist.

I personally know many functioning Black professional's, from my generation, the generation above me and the one above them. And I'm extremely excited about the prospects for the generation beneath me especially my Brothers and Sisters.

• Upvote 3

On 24/09/2012 at 0:42 PM, Mizchif said:

I meet clients who I speak to all the time by email and are throughly shocked to find out I'm black. Honestly one called me up the other day to say he thought I looked like Rick Ross.

Which is ridiculous

I know them ones when people are shocked that you are black. I use the phone quite alot in my job when people come into my office and look around for a white male because it possibly be me they spoke to on the phone is disheartening. Also when I go to other offices and people presume and ask me if I work in lower grade office because a black man can not have a decent position. But I just live my life can't let these idiots get to me. Sometimes I correct them of they come across rude. More time I just don't say nothing, let them carry on ignorant.

I hear what is saying I am yet to see a black FYI who is not African. Saying that one of the orthopaedic consultants is carribean

To be fair applying and job hunting is an actual skill and a job in its self.

Most people including my self (for a while) just used to post sh*t out there without out attacking each position differently..

I am not denying the fact that names & race could be a selecting factor in certain selection process.

First, CV as to be on point. I cringe when I look at my old copies of CV's that I had before my sis (A recruitment consultant) tweaked it up for me.

And the results improved drastically.

2500 application sounds like bull to me..

I am seeking a new role as I type and feeling in 5 applications PROPERLY in a day is Long & a time demanding task if you do it properly.

So, there is no way you are feeling 2500 within a short space of time and if you aren't getting any responses then something is definitely wrong with your CV or your life tbh

No doubt there is favoritism and racism is many occasions, but you have to get basics right first to argue your case

Yeah feeling in applications is long init

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1