the random studio discussion thread

dub

jus a thread to post random (but somehow production related) discussion

/

Am I the only one... who gets hyped up by my own ideas as I play them in my head?

lol, I know it sounds a bit neeky but I swear the ideas in my head are better than most music is nowadays

only problem is i'm more often not able to recreate it in the same way that its like in my head - or when I start to make it the idea falls out after i've got the two first patterns in

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one... who gets hyped up by my own ideas as I play them in my head?

lol, I know it sounds a bit neeky but I swear the ideas in my head are better than most music is nowadays

only problem is i'm more often not able to recreate it in the same way that its like in my head - or when I start to make it the idea falls out after i've got the two first patterns in

My boy literally sings melodies over beats, Max B style :lol: I'm a big whistler, I get gassed.

Yeah I was at that point about a year back, if you just work on a little theory you'll find you ear gets better. Playing the different intervals in an arpeggio will help you get that. Saying that, I have only just gotten a keyboard, it was PURE theory and mouse programming before August :rofl:

I used the Circle of Fifths to learn the major scales (any given major has a relative minor that shares the same key-sig, e.g. CMaj/AMin) and to get my ear used to the sound of fifths. A fifth is the most consonant key related to the root note, think of it like the cousin. Jumping a fifth, or an octave is nearly as pleasing. It's a really useful tool for loads of stuff, not just you ear.

http://www.folkblues.com/theory/circle_5ths_text.htm

It's confusing that it's called a fifth, as it's +7 semitones from the interval before it, but still. Check that sh*t, heard it randomly on an Anti-Social set back in 08 and have never looked back. Big up Jay-5ive for the heads-up.

/

Am I the only one into musical tracing?

I.E.

Play a tune on Youtube, and try to play over it to find the chord/scale? I couldn't do it a few years back, my ears are loving it now :lol:

Do you mean that Jay 5 was talking about it on his show, or you heard it in a tune?

Yeah he said some sh*t like "Out to the crew who know about the circle of fifths, lemme know, lemme know". Around that point I was trying to recreate the Silkie/Heny G kinda melodic/funky sh*t I was hearing out in dances anyway, so that was a good pointer.

It's mad useful, and a good point to start at for musical noobs.

A fifth is so pleasing to the ear because it fit perfectly with the root in equal temperament tuning, which is a fairly modern invention, before that each instrument was tuned, mathematically to a particular key, meaning every chord was perfectly consonant. but if you wanted ti switch key u had to retune ur instrument. In equal temperament each fret placement/string length is actually slightly out of place, apart from the fifth, which means all the music we listen to today is actually out of tune.

• Upvote 1

A fifth is so pleasing to the ear because it fit perfectly with the root in equal temperament tuning, which is a fairly modern invention, before that each instrument was tuned, mathematically to a particular key, meaning every chord was perfectly consonant. but if you wanted ti switch key u had to retune ur instrument. In equal temperament each fret placement/string length is actually slightly out of place, apart from the fifth, which means all the music we listen to today is actually out of tune.

I pos'd as it sounded on point, but can you break down what you mean in this last bit?

well i could, but wikipedia is more cleverer than i

http://en.wikipedia....ual_temperament

"In an equal temperament, the distance between each step of the scale is the same interval. Because the perceived identity of an interval depends on its ratio, this scale in even steps is a geometric sequence of multiplications. (An arithmetic sequence of intervals would not sound evenly-spaced, and would not permit transposition to different keys.)"