Wireless Router Recommendation

Skola

Starting this afresh since the only threads I could find searching were from 2008.

I'm on Virgin but not on a package that gives me a free router, plus I've heard their superhub has a lot of problems.

Looking at around £50-75, but could be convinced to go higher if necessary.

I'd be tempted by a wireless router with a built in DSL modem so I can have one less box + cables + plug in use, unless theres any reason why I should stick with the modem I got from Virgin and run a seperate router?

I've heard of the dd wrt firmware, not sure how beneficial / important it is or how difficult it is to configure?

Dont think I've ever bought a router, just gone with what ever I've gotten for free. I'm currently using a netgear one from Virgin (a friend gave me) but its f*cked (high pitch whining noise and no connectivity) I tried to chance it with Virgin but tech support put me through to customer services who insisted I was never given a router from them (so they wouldnt replace it).

So, any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers.

Yeah man I said DSL not ADSL. DSL = Cable (generally speaking).

The wire in my house looks like a fairly standard coaxile type thing with a screw type end to hold it firmly connected to the modem.

Tbh Im not sure if Im stuck with their modem or not, hence the question (not too important tho).

You'll have one of these set ups as default:

-Your cable from the wall connecting to your modem, which then connects to your router

-Your cable from the wall connecting to your router (which has the modem inbuilt).

Usually the router issue is the wireless connection, and its actual ability to connect to the internet and its ethernet LAN port connection is fine. If this is the case, you just need to get a new wireless router - not anything labelled as an 'adsl router' or 'cable router' (or any 'modem' of any kind), while you can use these other routers, they're usually more expensive

So what you do is go cop a new router and

-if you have a separate modem, just plug your modem into your new router's WAN port, and everything should work fine straight away

-if your existing router has the modem inbuilt you'll need to connect the two routers both by their LAN ports, with a bit of configuration to make your new router share the connection wirelessly, there's usually people on forums that will have the solution posted

/

I had a cheap £20 TP-Link TL-WR740N working fine rerouting my Sky connection.

It also supports DD-WRT though you'll have to search through their forums to find the installation (its not as supported as other models).

Through using DD-WRT we managed to get a bunch of them repeating the signal so not only did we have a strong signal all around the house, but also can use the ethernet LAN port on them and connect to the Xbox360 (so no need to cop a wireless adapter), guess that would be good for other network devices that don't have wifi as well, like media centres/external HDDs, set top boxes.

ive got a cisco linksys wrt ???n that i use with my virgin connection, never had any problems with it.

safe

had a look on virgim communities...a lot of people seem to be recommend this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardware-streaming/dp/B004TPWRSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351684575&sr=8-1

ASUS RT-N56U - 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router. 802.11n, Hardware NAT, 5 Internal Antennas, Fast Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty

£80

• 2 weeks later...