Deserves its own topic. (Long read)

Lenny

No other club hinders themselves and gives themselves less of a chance than we do. It’s almost as if the board, for their own amusement, tries and tests Arsene each season.

“Hmm… OK… try and finish 4th if we do this…”

* Alex Song and Robin Van Persie vanish in a puff of smoke*

:rofl:

That’s Fulham at home. 3 goals shipped in to Fulham, at home. From a 2-0 lead as well. Honestly, it’s shocking. Unbelievably we look a centre-back short again. As in, we look like we could do with another because the others no longer look up to it. I’m sick & f*ck*ng tired of the same old sh*t, sh*t mistakes being churned out, year after year after year. We’re a GK short. We’re a CB short. We need a left back. We need a tough tackling midfielder and we’re a striker short as well and we’ve been all of those short for f*ck*ng years now there’s something wrong within the club; it’s not just the players. Because it’s completely different personnel than it was 4 years ago, but they continue to make the same glaringly obvious mistakes, it’s getting boring now; victory is now a surprise, irrespective of whom the opposition is.

We needed the likes of Podolski, Giroud & Cazorla on top of the players we had last season. On top of them. Additions. But with the subsequent sales of Van Persie, Song & Theo in January, they will have all turned into replacements. All we’ve done, summer after summer is look to replace when we’ve needed additions on top of what we’ve already had. Sell 1, buy 1. Buy 1, sell 1. We need to start buying 2 before we’re selling 1.

The personnel problems started right at the end of the 07/08 season. We pushed Utd & Chelsea right to the 37th fixture that year & perhaps we should have won it. But we should have sat down & evaluated what was needed. But nope, we made do. It was the start of us ‘making do’. We lost Diarra, Lehmann, Flamini, Gilberto, & Hleb. We bought Ramsey & Nasri… Then made do. We probably needed a Nasri on top of what we had in order to push that one last bit. Subsequently, there were no additions. We barely replaced. We bought Arshavin in Jan when we should have bought him in the summer previous. Clawed our way to 4th. That summer? Lost Toure &Adebayor. In? Vermaelen. Again, we needed a Vermaelen on top of what we had, so again, no additions. Just making do, once again.

We then finally made an attempt to replace those two losses a whole year later with Koscielny & Chamakh. So where are the additions? To help push on? By now, we’ve lost Eduardo as well. We go into 2011 summer. We lose Nasri, Cesc, Eboue & Clichy. We’re down. We already needed additions to compete, on top of what we had so now, we’re f*cked basically.

We then send a depleted side to Old Trafford & Arsene lines up 4-3-3 & they’re ripped apart from 1st minute to last. Embarrassing. How dare he line that side up as open as that, at Old Trafford. 4-5-1, pack that midfield out & play flat. Come away with a 2/3 goal defeat, people understand. But we’ve left ourselves in a position where we’re selecting left backs that are being sold the very next day. Why the f*ck, how the f*ck, is Traore getting anywhere near that starting XI!?

We then leave it last minute, in true supermarket sweep fashion to bring in Mertesacker, Santos, Arteta & Benayoun. Ok, you’ve made your purchases. Not everyone’s choices, but you’ve made them never the less. We’ll get behind them…& as much as I love the likes of Arteta & as much as I respect & appreciate that we somehow finished 3rd in a sh*t-off between ourselves Tottenham, Chelsea & Newcastle - we knew what we needed so that we wouldn’t find ourselves in this position again. We knew, we all did & at the start we thought the club did too.

We went out & completed deals for Podolski, Giroud & Cazorla. It was exciting, because finally, after years of not doing so, squad personnel/options looked good again. It may have been good enough.

But then every single one of us was smacked in the face with the sales of Van Persie, Song & the Theo issue not being resolved.

“Sorry, Theo. We can’t offer you that extra 10k or whatever you want a week because Mr 28 year old & Mr 30 year old have no footballing ambition whatsoever & want to sit on their 50/60k p/w wages which prevents us from keeping our most dangerous player, which you are. Bye.”

Makes… no… f*cking… sense… WHATSOVER.

It’s the club’s fault we’ll lose Theo, not his. Not his at all. And once again we find ourselves in the same, moronic, tiresome position of being short in the exact, same positions we have been for yeeeaaarrrs.

It’s not on, it’s not acceptable. We’re not Everton. We don’t have to sell before we can buy & hope we find a gem. David Moyes has to make do because they haven’t a pot to piss in. Which wouldn’t bother me if we were in the same position. But we have pots. f*ck*ng loads of ‘em. Each & every single board member has their own individual diamond encrusted, gold rimmed pot to urinate all over whenever the f*ck they like.

This club does not give itself a chance, on the pitch. We make do through choice, not because we have to. We don’t compete because we choose not to compete. Not because we can’t. Year after year, all we do is make do. No conviction. No direction. No ambition. Farce… and there’s not a single person out there who knows how much it’s taken me to voice an opinion as strong as that.

The guy is spot on with everything he says

Good read, I've been saying the same sort of things but in a more articulate and constructive way.

Nothing will change unless Wenger goes and someone with a bit of fight comes in, and I don't buy this who can replace Wenger excuse either because its just like saying "we won't buy this player because he hasn't played for Barcelona and can't make the step up to the required level".

We have changed everything accept the manager and every season is a repeat of the last, coincidence much? I would rather have wasted the last 5 years in a man who learnt from his mistakes and seeked ways to improve year in year out accept we settle for a relegation strategy with the aim to survive accept its not our league status at stake but our top 4 status

It's a very similar situation to what we had with Benitez, a man who's done a lot for your club who is doing the best he can under the circumstances his bosses have created.

Imo getting rid of Wenger isn't the solution because you're then leaving it to the people who are really responsible to find his replacement and judging by the way your board are seemingly more interested in net profit than anything else, there's a good chance they'd f*ck it up monumentally.

I see where you are coming from its a very similar situation but Wenger has money to spend its just that he chooses not too and we all go blaming the board.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Wenger really felt he needed £30m on a super quality player in January the board would fund him but its his own insecurities about parting with that amount of money when in his philosophy and vision that player has made the same route into the game as any other and at some point he could of been bought for 9 or 10 times less the current market value.

We all know the story how Wenger works, he's great at using financial theory to plaster over his weakness and has even conviced his stakeholders that 4th is an achievement which adds security for his long term future here because 4th is the minimum requirement he knows his squad will achieve yet he's making out its the maximum.

lol good to see you back Tulse

Although I think Wenger did want to really prove a point by winning the league with a team he groomed, I honestly think he's frustrated with the situation he's in and doesn't have the financial backing the board want everybody to believe he has. Top 4 for your board equates to fat bonuses for shareholders at the end of each season, they seem more than happy with that.

I see where you are coming from its a very similar situation but Wenger has money to spend its just that he chooses not too and we all go blaming the board.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Wenger really felt he needed £30m on a super quality player in January the board would fund him but its his own insecurities about parting with that amount of money when in his philosophy and vision that player has made the same route into the game as any other and at some point he could of been bought for 9 or 10 times less the current market value.

We all know the story how Wenger works, he's great at using financial theory to plaster over his weakness and has even conviced his stakeholders that 4th is an achievement which adds security for his long term future here because 4th is the minimum requirement he knows his squad will achieve yet he's making out its the maximum.

lol good to see you back Tulse

Although I think Wenger did want to really prove a point by winning the league with a team he groomed, I honestly think he's frustrated with the situation he's in and doesn't have the financial backing the board want everybody to believe he has. Top 4 for your board equates to fat bonuses for shareholders at the end of each season, they seem more than happy with that.

Right lets use common sense here, we blame the board, because we can't keep our best players...

You know the ones that we don't actually have to spend money on, we just need to match their wages...

Wenger doesn't set the agenda for players wages. We learnt this from the Ashley Cole saga...

If you can't keep players that cost you nothing (Fabregas, Cole), 1m (Song & Flamini), 2.75m (van Persie), 7m (Adebayor), over wages... Then I'm sorry GTFOH are you signing players for 30m and matching their wage demands.

We are now in a situation where the club are saying, "Why give Walcott more than 75k, when we can sell Walcott (hopefully recoup the 9.1m we paid) and replace him with Gnabry a kid who we have paid little for... Give him a bumper contract (that he doesn't currently deserve (15k) and ultimately it will be this contract that comes to bite us in the bum later down the line), Give Oxlade Theo's current wage (for arguments sake 55k), and then sign this Zaha kid and give him 30k a week and guess what we just drove the wage bill DOWN instead of up... Infact if Crystal Palace push for too much money we might even not have to buy anyone at all...

I''ve only known Arsenal under PHW reign, and tbh all our manager's legacy has end with fans complaining that the manager doesn't spend no money... The only one that didn't was Rioch and thats cos they cut him off for wanting more money. I fully know where the issue lies.

and yes Wenger did think he could groom a team, and he nearly did it... But guess what, the board dropped the ball on that too.

Short of Wenger turning it round quickly and once again covering the cracks, I'm beginning to accept he will go before they will.

• Upvote 1