The Zlatan Appreciation Thread

Creed Diskenth

But the Arsenal boss was not accustomed to Ibrahimovic’s infamous arrogance — and his nuance for a one-liner — when he turned round to his potential employer: 'Zlatan doesn’t do trials'.

The player himself chuckled as he recently related this tale to French journalists, before adding: ‘He then gave me one of his funny Wenger looks.’

Inter Milan sealed a third consecutive Serie A title with a 2-0 win over relegated Parma on the final day.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, returning from injury, came off the bench to score twice to ensure Inter finished three points ahead of second-placed AS Roma.

Roma could only draw 1-1 at Catania, who stayed up at the expense of Empoli.

Fiorentina beat Torino 1-0 to secure the fourth and final Champions League spot, with AC Milan, who defeated Udinese 4-1, missing out in fifth.

Milan will play in the Uefa Cup next season, along with Sampdoria and Udinese.

Juventus finished third in the table, with striker Alessandro Del Piero finishing as Serie A's top scorer for the first time with 21, while Livorno were also relegated alongside Parma.

Juventus striker Alessandro Del Piero was Serie A top scorer in a season for the first time after his double in Saturday's 3-3 draw at Sampdoria took his tally to 21.

Inter had an 11-point lead at one stage and could have clinched the title a fortnight ago.
But their advantage was reduced following a loss to city rivals Milan and then a home draw with Siena.

"After we lost the derby a lot of things were written about us," said Inter captain Javier Zanetti
"Everyone was rooting for Siena and everyone wanted Roma to win, but unfortunately the party is still going to be in Milan. This was a group response."

Ibrahimovic, sidelined for six weeks because of a knee injury, came on in the 51st minute in the driving rain at Parma's Ennio Tardini stadium and scored one goal with each foot.
In the 62nd, he used his right foot to connect on a low shot from beyond the area.

The Swedish international then volleyed in a cross from Maicon with his left foot in the 79th to seal the title for Roberto Mancini's side.

"He had hardly trained. He's a phenomenon," Inter midfielder Dejan Stankovic said of Ibrahimovic.

I remember watching that game

6 weeks out and he comes off the bench and wins Inter the title. Calm.

Zlatan>>>
  • Upvote 3

Zlatan doesn't do auditions. As a younger man, Ibrahimovic was invited to a trial at Arsenal. Whilst many players would have considered this the opportunity of lifetime, Zlatan took offence at the idea that Wenger would like him to undertake a trial with the club before joining. The Swede naturally declined

“I couldn’t believe it. I was like ‘No way, Zlatan doesn’t do auditions’."

When asked what he bought his partner for her birthday:

"Nothing, she already has the Zlatan."

3. His partner can count herself lucky, when Zlatan was asked who he thought was th best looking woman in the world he responded with:

“I don’t know, but when I find her I will date her.”

4. Hot Dog. When Zlatan was being marked by Stephane Henchoz he described how he beat the Liverpool man:

“First I went left, he did too. Then I went right, and he did too. Then I went left again, and he went to buy a hot dog.”

5. Zlatan’s run-ins with Guardiola. The Swede was not always content at Barcelona, summed up best by this quote from his autobiography:

“Then Guardiola started his philosopher thing. I was barely listening. Why would I? It was advanced bullshit about blood, sweat and tears, that kind of stuff.”

6. Guardiola part 2. Zlatan gave the manager a simple summary of how he believed he was being mis-used in his system:

"You bought a Ferrari but you drive it like a Fiat"

7. When he moved to Paris Zlatan gave reporters an insight into his attempts to find accommodation:

“We are looking for an apartment (in Paris). If we don't find anything, then I'll probably just buy the hotel."

8. On those rare occasions Zlatan is felled by injury, how can teams cope without him? As he says:

“An injured Zlatan is a pretty serious thing for any team.”

9. Guardiola part 3:

“(Guardiola) was staring at me and I lost it. I thought ‘there is my enemy, scratching his bald head!’. I yelled to him: ‘You have no balls!’ and probably worse things than that.”

10. The best summary of the great man inevitably comes from Zlatan himself, how does he play football?

"Zlatan-style"

:rofl:

• Upvote 1