Kiss FM DJ David Rodigan quits over 'marginalisation' of reggae

Yak_Louis

Renowned reggae DJ David Rodigan has quit commercial radio station Kiss FM after 22 years over its "refusal" to schedule the music at a "socially accessible time".

Rodigan said that he was leaving Kiss FM "with great sadness", but also hit out at the "continued marginalisation of reggae music into the twilight zone of radio scheduling".

The DJ's hour-long Sunday programme had aired at 11pm on Kiss FM.

A statement from the station said that it was "very sad and disappointed" to confirm Rodigan's departure.

"We have the utmost love and respect for David both personally and professionally," Kiss FM said.

"He leaves with our sincere appreciation and gratitude for all that he has achieved with Kiss."

Rodigan is a highly respected radio broadcaster, having been inducted into the Sony Radio Academy Hall Of Fame in 2005.

He was given an MBE in the 2012 New Year Honours for services to broadcasting, and this year won his third Sony Award for a different show on BBC Radio 2.

But in a statement on his own website, Rodigan said that Kiss FM had "left me no option but to make a stand for my passion".

"Due to their continued marginalisation of reggae music into the twilight zone of radio scheduling, it has left me no option but to make a stand for my passion and the music I love so dearly," he wrote.

"As Bob Marley famously said, 'The stone that the builder refused will be the head cornerstone'. Reggae was originally played on the streets, not on radio, and Kiss's refusal to schedule the only reggae show on their network to a socially accessible time has resulted in this decision.

"Reggae is worthy of more respect, and so are the fans and lovers of this music."

Kiss FM, which is owned by Bauer Media, insisted that it remained "passionate about broadcasting a brilliant cross section of music genres, including reggae".

media_david_rodigan_given_mbe_prince_charles.jpg

http://www.digitalsp...-of-reggae.html

Geeneus already offered him a slot on Rinse, wonder if he will take it.

lol he wont take it, its too much of a downgrade for him

as easy as I find it to make fun of him, I'd say Logan's position is good for the sake of grime and he deserves a bit of respect for holding it, 'cause in all truth... once he's gone, grime can say goodbye to the national FM dial, and even an established DAB/internet broadcast - there's still no grime show on 1xtra, and does Choice even have a UKG show?

f*ck him anyway . Don't know how we allowed him to be a reggae dj in the first place .

smh, such a c*nt

• Upvote 4

How is it clueless .

Time and time again we allow this sh*t to happen .

We sellout our sh*t to anyone . Just like we have allowed asians to control all of our afro hair and beauty stores .

Its ironic that bbc asian network have asian djs , asian presenters working on their sh*t but we have to settle for charlie sloth,a 100 year old nonce in tim westwood and logan sama who are all white . They are spinning black music for crying out loud .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6