some tech news

dub

Instagram kills Twitter integration

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/09/instagram-kills-twitter-photo-integration/

Guess Facebook's finally using their ownership to implement some power moves. Not really sure what they're tryna accomplish with it though.

At the same time, Twitter adds image filters to compete with Instagram.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/10/twitter-android-photo-filter-now-available/

/

Apple + Google teaming up to purchase Kodak digital imaging patents

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/08/bloomberg-apple-google-bid-kodak-patents/

/

new console coming from Steam

http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/12/valves_newell_c.html

• Upvote 2

Don't know if its just me, but this tech advancement is really coming like matrix... only a matter of time.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/futurist-raymond-kurzweil-joins-google-1119375

World famous inventor and artificial intelligence futurist Raymond Kurzweil has announced that he's heading to Mountain View.

The 64-year old will join Google on Monday as a Director of Engineering and, in his new role, will focus on machine learning and language processing.

He wrote on his blog: "I'm thrilled to be teaming up with Google to work on some of the hardest problems in computer science so we can turn the next decade's 'unrealistic' visions into reality.

"I've been interested in technology, and machine learning in particular, for a long time: when I was 14, I designed software that wrote original music, and later went on to invent the first print-to-speech reading machine for the blind, among other inventions. I've always worked to create practical systems that will make a difference in people's lives, which is what excites me as an inventor."

Working towards the Singularity

Since his days as a software engineer, Kurzweil has found more fame as a futurist and has written books on the outer limits of machine intelligence and medical technology.

He's most well known for his 'Singularity' theory, which examines the point at which machines become more intelligent than humans and begin outsmarting them.

He added: "In 1999, I said that in about a decade we would see technologies such as self-driving cars and mobile phones that could answer your questions, and people criticized these predictions as unrealistic. Fast forward a decade–Google has demonstrated self-driving cars, and people are indeed asking questions of their Android phones."

Google is yet to comment on the hire.

Via Wall Street Journal

Reminds me of...

Don't know if its just me, but this tech advancement is really coming like matrix... only a matter of time.

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/futurist-raymond-kurzweil-joins-google-1119375

World famous inventor and artificial intelligence futurist Raymond Kurzweil has announced that he's heading to Mountain View.

The 64-year old will join Google on Monday as a Director of Engineering and, in his new role, will focus on machine learning and language processing.

He wrote on his blog: "I'm thrilled to be teaming up with Google to work on some of the hardest problems in computer science so we can turn the next decade's 'unrealistic' visions into reality.

"I've been interested in technology, and machine learning in particular, for a long time: when I was 14, I designed software that wrote original music, and later went on to invent the first print-to-speech reading machine for the blind, among other inventions. I've always worked to create practical systems that will make a difference in people's lives, which is what excites me as an inventor."

Working towards the Singularity

Since his days as a software engineer, Kurzweil has found more fame as a futurist and has written books on the outer limits of machine intelligence and medical technology.

He's most well known for his 'Singularity' theory, which examines the point at which machines become more intelligent than humans and begin outsmarting them.

He added: "In 1999, I said that in about a decade we would see technologies such as self-driving cars and mobile phones that could answer your questions, and people criticized these predictions as unrealistic. Fast forward a decade–Google has demonstrated self-driving cars, and people are indeed asking questions of their Android phones."

Google is yet to comment on the hire.

Via Wall Street Journal

Reminds me of...

sounds like a great guy but its getting a bit i-robot-esque

needs to be stopped before he gets carried away and

the point at which machines become more intelligent than humans and begin outsmarting them
tbh

NVIDIA Tegra 4 processor details leaked: 4-plus-1 cores, 28nm, six times the power of Tegra 3

wayne.jpg

NVIDIA's next superhero-themed mobile chipset has possibly made an early appearance in a leaked side in China, and it looks like it wants to go toe-to-toe with the latest processors from Samsung and Qualcomm. The Tegra 4 (codenamed Wayne) will apparently offer the same power-efficient 28nm process found on its Snapdragon rival and according to the slide from Chip Hell, there's a dizzying 72-core graphics setup. That's six times as many GPU cores as Tegra 3 -- the processor found in the Nexus 7, for example -- and the increase is claimed to result in six times the overall visual performance. Those graphics cores will be able to feed displays of up to 2,560 x 1600, with 1080p output at 120Hz, while the leak also mentions 4K -- if only in passing. There's no increase in CPU cores this time, with the same 4-plus-1 setup , but we are seeing its move to ARM's latest design, the Cortex-A15. Tegra 4 will apparently also catch up with USB 3.0, being NVIDIA's first mobile chip to do so, alongside dual-channel DDR3L memory. We've reached out to chipmaker and we'll let you know when we hear more, but it's highly likely we'll be welcoming this next-generation processor early next year-- say, at a certain mobile trade show.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/nvidia-tegra-4-processor-leak-4-plus-1-quad-core-28nm/

im just imagining the phones and tablets right now...

Samsung reveals its first 14nm FinFET test chip, should offer substantial power improvements in future silicon

globalfoundries-14nm-xm-1348337755.jpg

Samsung shows no signs of slowing down in 2013 and after confirming plans to expand its chip-making plant in Austin, Texas, the company's also taped out its first 14nm FinFET test chip. The new design (which is being compared with Intel's'Tri-Gate' found on its Ivy Bridge hardware) promises to offer substantial power and performance improvements compared to existing designs, with low-leakage often mentioned in the same breath as the new silicon. Samsung's new test chip also involved ARM and Synopsis, and is a good sign that we'll be seeing its next-gen chips sooner rather than later.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/samsung-first-14nm-finfet-test-chip-/

you man heard of redray?

RED the company that makes that cinema camera are going to release a 4K 3D player, was looking at bluray and this, bluray 4K will most likely only support 4K displays, Sony's upcoming one will cost $15k.

but red ray can support 4 1080p displays via 4 HDMI 1.4 outputs, which i reckon is SICK, would need one with a small bezel though, get some 37" 3D TV's or whatever, put them in a square and you got a massive TV

dunno how it would work with other sources though, which would be the bitch, cause if you wanna play the 360 or whatever youll prob only see it on one screen, unless the ting has inputs it can upscale or whatever, which  i cant find in the notes. its a good start though IMO

http://www.red.com/products/redray

NHK (Japanese Broadcaster) practically wrote the 4K broadcast specification (UHD TV, ultra high definition television), there isnt the bandwidth for it yet though, no TV station in the world can even broadcast in 1080p let alone 4K

the olympics where shot with like 15 4K cameras in places though, and them big screens in certain cities were 4K, so the BBC is capable of doing it, when they get the bandwidth to do it nationally though... prob another 10 years.

this is mainly a film ting, i think i read somewhere that celluloid film, converted digitally goes to 4K before you start seeing artifacts and shit, so i think thats the perfect resolution, so all they need to do is digitally convert them like they did with bluray and HD TV broadcasts etc

plus alot of digital films shot in the last few years have been shot and screened in 4K, alot has been 2K though

but its prety exciting IMO

yeah, they just need the right codecs though

but they need to hold talks with like ofcom to approve the standards and shit, manufacturers so the TV & set top box is able to decode, its all long, we'll be downloading and playing them or getting blurays before broadcast even comes close