"The Second Childhood"

PascalMoriarty

I had a conversation today that really made me start thinking about old age, I'm 22 so not necessarily for myself, but more so for my parents and others I know who are approaching old age.

The person I spoke to was lamenting the decline in his mothers health and well being; she has been diagnosed with dementia, is now incontinent and almost completely incapable of looking after herself. As such, she's become increasingly depressed, he doesn't want to put her in a home, but at the same time understands he is incapable of providing her with the care she needs given his job and how involved it is. 

Have any of you ever considered what you'd want to happen to you in the event that you become unable to look after yourself, I know its a long way off, but still, I can't imagine what it will be like. And parents, do any you have parents or grandparents in care? 

(Chrolls are inevitable, but I'm sure its a sensitive subject for some people so please try to keep it serious)

• Downvote 1

If you are unable to look after yourself then you gotta go in a home moretime unfortunately.

Only sad thing about that is if you got some fucked up carers there abusing the elderly, them guys deserve death still.

My grandparents are all in their 70's and walking around no problem, there's no sign of mental illness so I think it will just be a drop down ting when the time come.

If I can't look after myself when I get old then I don't mind care aslong as there are some coherent individuals there, if everyone there is on a dribbling ting and I have complete awareness then it will be torture, would rather a relative just give me a room or something still.