Supermalt

Food Stamps in the UK. POVERTY GETTING REAL

61 posts in this topic

"Food stamps" arrive in Britain next month, when tens of thousands of vulnerable people will be issued with food vouchers in lieu of money to tide them over short-term financial crises.

Rather than, as now, offering a cash loan, most councils will from April offer new applicants who qualify for emergency assistance a one-off voucher redeemable for goods such as food and nappies.

Many of the 150 local authorities in England running welfare schemes have confirmed that they will issue the vouchers in the form of payment cards, which will be blocked or monitored to prevent the holder using them for alcohol, cigarettes or gambling.

Several plan to issue charity food parcels to people applying for crisis help, and are preparing to give cash grants to food banks to enable them to take on full-time staff and increase opening hours.

Each authority has drawn up eligibility rules, setting out who will qualify for crisis help and the conditions under which it will be given. One plans to make emergency help conditional on good behaviour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/26/payment-cards-emergency-assistance-food-stamps

How can they tell when you're buying food or alcohol though?

Ration stamps soon come

The real

My bredrins gnna b pissed always used dem loans 4 xmas

Tories are arriving

Wonder how long before you see people trying to hustle di starmpz 

Swear they do this already? One guy i know gets pure vouchers for milk, fruit and veg

I wondered how long it would take for the papers to realise & report this.

Swear they do this already? One guy i know gets pure vouchers for milk, fruit and veg

Thats a bit different I think

Don't see the problem?

Me neither.

How do they work?

Yeah that has been about for years

But doubt you will be allowed to buy alcahol on this ting. Big up all the mugs again who voted conservatives.

only for people with kids

only for people with kids

yep thats right

Big up all the mugs again who voted conservatives.

This.

Don't see the problem?

yeah its just a card youre given to buy food and essentials

kinda like tthat homeless topic where people dont just give money?

Don't see the problem?

C/s

I voted labour but recently I heard Cameron say he is 'building an aspiring nation'

I can see where thy are going with this and to be honest you shouldn't be given crisis loans and shot to go and spend on cigarettes and alcohol. Food and nappies are essentials.

Why are man pissed tho?

Surely this is better than just giving them cash to spend on drugs/lcds/holidays etc

Plus people gonna feel embarrassed to hand them over in the shop so hopefully it will encourage di waste to get back into work.

yea remember the milk and fruit n veg tokens back in the day, hard times.

Why are man pissed tho?

Surely this is better than just giving them cash to spend on drugs/lcds/holidays etc

Plus people gonna feel embarrassed to hand them over in the shop so hopefully it will encourage di waste to get back into work.

Probably said it before but I know of a girl who told the council her and her kids needed new beds and a cooker and she got a grant for it and went to Miami with the money smh.

I do wonder though how comes some people seem to survive fine off their benefits while others don't. Is it just a case of poor money management with some?

Why are man pissed tho?

Probably said it before but I know of a girl who told the council her and her kids needed new beds and a cooker and she got a grant for it and went to Miami with the money smh.

I do wonder though how comes some people seem to survive fine off their benefits while others don't. Is it just a case of poor money management with some?

I think its cos some people spend an outrageous amount on cigarettes and alcohol.

I remember seeing one programme, these people up north the benefits would go in their account, theyd draw it all, buy fags, the rest on a night out and 10 quid left for food for the week.