BRAZIL 2014 - World Cup

Mr. Martinez

Who's going?

I had my heart set on it and it's looking more unlikely by the day. SUCKS.

Anyone here going?

Done a bit of research and to do it independently (not travelling with the english fans through thomson or whatever) will set a man back 5 bags.

this covers everything for the duration of the tournament. Arrive 2 days before it starts, leave a day or 2 after the final. Also includes £600-800 to spend on match tickets, which is more than enough imo.

You can buy flights 13 months in advanced so book your flights to Brazil in May this year.

Then buy the internal flights 'travelcard' that brazil do, which basically allows you to flight 4,5,6,7 times (depending on what ticket you buy)

Then wait till November, find out where your country's going to be based, etc, where their matches are going to be played - and begin organising your tour of brazil, alongside your country and their group matches

I'm still undecided, but if I do go it'll be on my own i think. Not sure if that's worth it yet, but I might just act on inpulse come May, purchase the flight to Brazil and that way there's no going back.

Any Brazilians out there have any tips? things I haven't considered?

Flojo is out their now.

Would like to reach but dont know if i do it like that, that is full on dedication.

You need 8-9 bills by May to commit yourself

Then you need 1-2 bags by November to start booking internal flights and first bits of accommodation

then you need 1-2 bags by June to take with you

so so doable even for the tightest of budgets

and that imagery you paint right there - that's the motivation indeed

i guess if it was being held in blackpool or something man like dave would think it was a bit more viable?

Guest chap44uns

Imagine being on dat long beach, with big screens up with the game on, sexy girls all round, 30+ degree weather

FAM. CHRISTI.

think around now is the best time to organize

tolerance is low for any 'maybe'/'we'll see'

beg people dump deals here

june 2014

catch this same guy posting in the sports room after finishing from work

Imagine being on dat long beach, with big screens up with the game on, sexy girls all round, 30+ degree weather

FAM. CHRISTI.

june 2014

lmao. f*ck that

should that happen at least i tried to go, organizing is the only problem

u probably have a million other problems. see how assumptions work

I'm almost definitely coming back for it.

For anyone looking for accommodation I'd recommend using airbnb.co.uk, I used it to get accommodation for Salvador carnival and had I just got a hotel I don't think I'd have had anywhere near as good a time and I'd have spent a sh*t load more money. I'd get onto this asap because the best places with the best hosts will get gobbled up quickly, a lot of the hosts with apartments will act as tour guides for you and let you know of the best places to go for eating, entertainment etc and save you a lot of money in the process. 

Although with it being the World Cup I expect that there will be a lot of English speakers at locations officially affiliated with the WC to assist foreigners, I would advise anybody who is coming to try and get a decent grip of the language before they come because Brazilians have a very strange way of working (Carlos because you already speak Spanish fluently Portuguese will be a breeze for you). lol if they simply can't be arsed to do something they'll tell you it isn't possible and if you're unable to argue your point sufficiently you are screwed.

Travelling by coach can be brutal so internal flights is defo the best option, although some of the more expensive overnight buses have beds on which make long haul journeys comfortable. I've just done a 12 hour trip to Belo Horizonte the other day and it was R$90 which is about £30 so if you dont have any problem going by coach overnight you can save yourself as lot of money getting around that way.

If anyone wants to drive around you can drive on your UK licence here for a year so you could rent a whip and do it that way, the roads in the big cities are fine although the traffic can be ridiculous at peak times.

I'm potentially extending my trip by another few months so I'll drop more info in here as I learn more.

• Upvote 3

Guest chap44uns

FAM. CHRISTI.

june 2014

lmao. f*ck that

should that happen at least i tried to go, organizing is the only problem

u probably have a million other problems. see how assumptions work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oars473IuKM

I'm going next year for Salvador carnival with my boy. We should be booking at latest end of May. Flojo did you go for carnival? Gonna pm you probably some time tomorrow for more info. My Portuguese should be solid enough to get by come carnival. World cup I contemplated but money its too much. Would defo like to check out the Olympics though.

Drop some pics if you can Flojo

estimates on non-bummy living costs per-day in your opinion?

safe for the info

sounds like you're having a ball. man doesnt' even wanna come back :lol: :lol:

Food here is cheap, for example yesterday we went to Orou Preto and the Brazilians we were with said it was expensive to pay R$20 (about £7) for a meal of chicken, rice and fish with a free dessert. Travelling around on buses is cheap as well so about £30-40 a day is nice if you're going to be eating out a few times a day. If you stay with someone who lives here and are willing to cook for yourself etc that would drop considerably.

The view from the 'temp office' where I'm living

751916038.jpg

Orou Preto - Where I was yesterday

751916970.jpg

Belo Horizonte - the current location

751914800.jpg

• Upvote 4

How much you looking to spend for carnival then?

Can't be miles apart surely? How long are you staying in Brazil for?

Well my boy had a quick look and with a connecting flight we are looking at like 1300/1400 for flight and accommodation, although i want to sit down with him and search properly since he did a quick look himself and was just to gauge prices. Spending money I want like 1500 to splash. I already have the flight money if what my friend said is kosher. It is my last holiday before I want to focus on the things like sorting out housing with me and my girl and our future so I want to have a blast. I'm looking at going for 2 weeks.