FIFA 14

User

fifa14-news.jpg

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – April 17, 2013–Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today unveiled innovations to the greatest sports game on the planet that will enable fans to experience the emotion of scoring great goals when playing EA SPORTS™ FIFA 14 on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PC.

Innovations to the franchise’s award-winning* gameplay will make FIFA 14 the complete matchday experience, introducing features that inspire fans to build play through midfield, dictate the tempo of a match and create rewarding opportunities. Great football matches are achieved through measured build up and incredible finishing. A new feature in FIFA 14 called Pure Shot and a brand-new ball physics system will transform shooting, making every shot attempt feel real, and when players connect with the perfect strike, feel exhilarating.

“FIFA 14 will play the way great football matches are contested with build up through midfield, tension throughout the match as chances are created, and incredible finishing,” said David Rutter, Executive Producer for FIFA 14. “Opportunities in FIFA 14 will be rewarding and great goals will look stunning.”

Finishing has been transformed with Pure Shot so players have the intelligence to adjust their stride and approach angle to find the best position for hitting the back of the net. Well-hit balls feel more exhilarating and rewarding.  New shot types include pure strikes, as well as off-balance and rushed shots. Plus, Real Ball Physics now determines the trajectories of balls, enabling players to kick the ball with force from distance, drill low rising shots with accuracy, and blast dipping or turbulent shots, just like real footballers.

Fans will be able to create rewarding build up to opportunities and have the tools to dictate the tempo of a match through four new features. Protect The Ball will enable players to fend-off and block defenders from the ball while dribbling at any speed, or out-muscle opponents for position before receiving the pass, then turn defenders to carve out opportunities. Teammate Intelligence has been improved on both sides of the ball. New decision-making logic delivers tighter, smarter marking and improved run tracking where defenders recognize opportunities to provide support and win back possession, while attacking players have new ways to outsmart their opponents by creating space for themselves, running along the backline and checking their pace. Major changes to ball control add new tools to win the midfield battles. Sprint Dribble Turns enable players to turn in every direction at sprint speed while preserving momentum, delivering the control and confidence to take on defenders one-on-one. Variable Dribble Touches introduces variety on touches when sprinting. Skilled players will have better touch and more control when sprinting with the ball.

In addition to innovations to gameplay, FIFA 14 is introducing a game-changing new way to play Career Mode. The Global Scouting Network brings the world of professional scouting to life. Players now develop and refine a scouting network and search for talent year-round. Scouts can evaluate footballers all over the world to uncover the attributes and traits of every player in the game, in preparation for the transfer windows. Plus, a new hub delivers easy navigation, fewer interruptions and live scouting reports.

FIFA 14 will deliver engaging online** features and live services that connect fans to the heartbeat of the sport—and to each other—through EA SPORTS Football Club, making FIFA 14 football's social network, where fans connect, compete and share with millions of others around the world. The game will also feature:

• Changes to the wildly popular FIFA Ultimate Team
  • A new online Mode that will encourage social competition
  • Multiple new features and benefits to EA SPORTS Football Club, the live service that is the heartbeat of FIFA
  • Complete authenticity with more than 500 officially licensed clubs.

FIFA 14 is in development at EA Canada and will be available in stores world-wide this fall. Additional platforms will be revealed in the months ahead. The game has not yet been rated.

Screenshots are available at http://info.ea.com.

• Downvote 1

PURE SHOT  

Position yourself for the perfect strike

Shooting has been transformed. Players have the intelligence to adjust their stride and approach angle to find the best position for hitting the back of the net. Well-hit balls feel satisfying and goals are rewarding. As well as quality strikes, players can now shoot while off balance or rushed.

Learn More »

PROTECT THE BALL  

Dominate midfield and dictate the tempo

Fend-off and block defenders from the ball while dribbling at any speed. Protect the ball from opponents to control play through midfield and dictate the tempo of the match. Plus, out-muscle opponents for position before receiving the ball, then turn defenders to carve out opportunities.

Learn More »

REAL BALL PHYSICS  

Authentic ball movement and control

Strike the ball with more force and finesse. Realistic ball physics now determines the trajectories of balls in game, enabling players to strike the ball with force from distance, drill low rising shots with accuracy, and blast dipping or swerving shots, just like real footballers.

Learn More »

TEAMMATE INTELLIGENCE  

Better support from smarter teammates

Better decision-making delivers tighter, smarter marking and improved run tracking. Defenders recognize opportunities to provide support and win back possession. Attacking players have new ways to outsmart their opponents and break down tighter, more intelligent defenses by creating space for themselves, running along the backline and checking their pace.

GLOBAL SCOUTING NETWORK  

A game-changing way to play Career Mode

Experience the world of professional scouting as you search for talent around the world. Develop and refine your own scouting network. Evaluate footballers to uncover the attributes of players who could bolster your squad during the transfer windows. A new hub delivers easy navigation, fewer interruptions and live scouting reports.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s bicycle-kick against England, Lionel Messi’s first goal at Barça as a 17-year-old, Papiss Cisse’s volley against Chelsea; an amazing goal can set the world abuzz. The EA SPORTS FIFA development has taken that into consideration when building features for FIFA 14. Two new gameplay features will transform the way goals are scored and make every shot feel real and rewarding

pure-shot-fifa-14.jpg

Pure Shot will let FIFA fans feel what it is like to connect with the perfect strike while a brand new ball physics system called Real Ball Physics will ensure the trajectory of the ball behaves as it would in real life. The combination of Pure Shot and Real Ball Physics will open the door for the most rewarding and varied shot selection in the FIFA franchise to date.

Pure Shot was developed to enable players to feel the same emotion of scoring great goals in FIFA 14 that your favorite striker does on Saturday mornings. The best goals are a combination of perfect timing, anticipation, and great positioning. Fans will be rewarded for all three in FIFA 14.  Players now adjust their approach angle when the shot is started looking for a more suitable angle for hitting the ball. They also understand the phases of shooting and will adjust their stride and pace to hit the ball. 

low-shot-fifa-14.jpg

Players will try to set up for the best possible shot, but that will vary depending on where they are on the pitch and how the ball is delivered to their feet. Players will take what is available to them and that may mean taking an off-balanced shot or taking a rushed shot which can hinder the accuracy and strength of their attempt. New animations will support this and the foot sliding, skipping and scissor legs that can be seen in FIFA 13 will be eliminated.

Along with changes to the shooting system, the ball in FIFA 14 acts as it would in real world football, thanks to authentic ball physics based on new formulas which dictate the flight path and trajectory of a shot. Both were overhauled for FIFA 14 to match how the ball moves in space.  This opens the door to more shot options. Players will now be able to strike the ball with force from distance, drill low rising shots with accuracy, and blast dipping, or swerving shots. There are also turbulence effects. None of this was ever possible in FIFA 13.

Pure Shot and Real Ball Physics are bound to make every shot attempt feel real and, when players connect with the perfect strike, exhilarating. Players will truly experience the emotion of scoring great goals.

Still, there is a lot more to discuss. Stick with EA SPORTS over the coming days and weeks to learn more about some of the new features in FIFA 14.

Fifa 14 preview: skill games, career mode and more

In our second look at the latest Fifa, here's a glance at some of the other new features we can expect to see in the update

Fifa-14-008.jpg
Fifa 14: it's got the skills

Free kick. Penalty. In the real game these words are likely to be greeted with expectant joy from supporters and players on the right side of the decision. In the Fifa series, though, they often invoke indifference or even dread. That's because, for many, scoring from a set-piece in Fifa is a sort of halcyon moment, as rare, magical and incomprehensible as falling in love at first sight, or viewing a meteor shower. My free kick attempts will tend to go anywhere – row Z, out for a throw in, into another game – rather than the goal. Most of the time, I just opt for a short pass. And penalties? The controls seemed so sensitive I always ended up tapping most of mine limply down the middle, like Gareth Southgate at Euro 96 – over and over again.

Last year, however, the Fifa development team at EA Sports finally realised something had to be done, so they introduced Skill Games, a selection of mini-challenges designed to teach you how to use various in-game moves and systems. The shooting and crossing ones were useful, but the set-piece tutorials were a bloody revelation, finally letting average gamers into an arcane world of penalty-taking confidence. Now, at least 68% of my kicks go into one of the corners of the net, rather than into the fuzzy face of a simply animated spectator. And it's great because it doesn't feel like a tutorial mode: in each challenge you can continually improve on your performance so it's like a series of mini-games rather than going to football school and being told you're an idiot.

It's little wonder then that this new feature has been a success. According to EA, 2.29bn skill games have been played since the launch of Fifa 13 last autumn. And so for Fifa 14, the mode is to be extended – familiar challenges are going to be tweaked, and new tasks are being added. During a recent demo session, producer Nick Channon showed off a selection of the newcomers. One is a distance shooting exercise with a line of balls just outside the 18-yard area – the player has to run along and belt all of these into the goal.

More interesting though are the team mate exercises. In one, your player has to run the length of the pitch making one-two passes with other players en route, before finally shooting. Better still, there's a little group task, where seven players in a small box must one-touch pass the ball between them for as long as possible as defenders run about trying to intercept. This one will be familiar to anyone who's actually played for a team, and brings more of a sense of actual football practise to the mode.

Elsewhere, the studio is making some key changes to the Career Mode, which lets you compete as a manager or player over a number of seasons. The user interface is being completely overhauled to make it easier to navigate and more logical – the squad screen, for example, has a nice graphic of your first eleven, with each icon showing a range of stats so you get a visual representation rather than having to drill down into multiple screens. From the brief glimpse I got, there's a slight look of Windows 8 about it all – it has that clean, box-based feel. Apparently, email notifications can also be tailored so you're not constantly interrupted by irrelevant spam as you advance though the season - now, only really important messages will be mandatory reads.

Fifa-14-Career-Mode-globa-008.jpgFifa

14: Career Mode global scouting report

Fifa 14 is also adding a new global scouting network, which will allow managers to set up searches for fresh talent based on player traits and tendencies rather than stats. For Channon, this is about creating a much more authentic system. "A manager doesn't go in saying I want a 75 rated player," he says. "Instead, with the new scouting system you say, I want a pacy winger, I want a good holding midfielder, I want a big striker I can play the ball up to. You can then go and scout those players. Clearly if you're after a Messi or an Ibrahimovic, you're not going to have to scout them, but what about a longer term player who's cheaper but has the potential to grow? Instead of searching all the ratings, you can think about the types of players you want and scout based on that."

So in Fifa 14, you get a series of putdown menus providing specific wish lists to your scout. You can define that you'd like, say, a tall centre back from South America with good dribbling skills; your scout then packs his sun tan lotion and he's off. Apparently, the longer you leave him out there, the more accurate his report becomes, so there's a long term challenge here, stretching out the transfer system so that it takes in the whole season. "We have a dedicated database team working on all this, which is now quite big thanks to the Match Day feature, says Channon. "They have processes in place for managing player stats and traits. But the game still has to be fun. We have to maintain the entertainment factor."

Talking about all the changes, Channon says that part of the challenge is learning from feedback, but not reacting immediately. "We look at what the team thinks, what we've learned, things we couldn't get to - then as soon as the demo hits, we get customer feedback. And then when the game is released we get a massive amount more. But we can't just react to the first couple of days. Look at tactical defending: when we first released the demo, the reaction was 'oh my goodness, this is really different', but actually that quickly went away because everyone got used to it. We know that when we make big changes like first touch control, people initially react negatively, but often they'll say, this makes sense, I can't go back."

So. just a few extra snippets from Fifa 14 there, and EA will no doubt be revealing more about multiplayer aspects as we head into summer. And while the release date is likely to be the end of September, the big question is over what formats the game will appear on. At the start of our press demo last week, EA made it clear that they wold only be discussing the PS3Xbox and PC versions of the game – which of course, pretty much confirmed that next-gen versions will be announced. It's likely we'll get Fifa 14 for current platforms in September, then updated special editions for the new PlayStation and Xbox platforms later.

One thing's for sure, we can expect ever closer integration with the real sport and an increasingly pervasive feel to the series. Last year's Match Day feature ripped information and stories from the actual season and put them into the commentary and player form stats. Meanwhile, the EA Sports Football Club smartphone app also allowed Ultimate Team fans to play around with their squads while on the move. EA Sports is keen on expanding these elements – it wants us to be constantly in touch with the game; on phones, tablets and consoles, wherever we are, checking team info, tweaking formations, comparing real-world news to in-game seasons. Of course, some people hate all of this, but it's increasingly where big gaming franchises are going – and it will get much more interesting with the next-gen machines. EA just doesn't want to talk about it. Yet.

• You can read our main preview of Fifa 14 here.

feeling the new shot dynamics, current ones are a joke, so un natural.

next gen?

buying a box again them 09 be a pro teams with sho case,skema,yoshie,gundam etc was classic 

need to get back on fifa for this one 

but you got time to log in as john doe, mgeez, lieutenant and chap44uns yh?

floxx

• Downvote 1

next gen?

Current

Is this being released early?

This shield the ball ting better work 

Swear I remember seeing that time ago in one of games before

Ping sound from the crossbar is lovely!

I protect the ball already.

That will probably just make it some automatic thing where the defender gets magnetised to your back

I just see a couple tweaks apart from that nothing's changed

Need to fix up the menu songs on this one.

I just want them to get rid of the glitch(that only seems to happen when I play online regardless of what pad I use) that randomly makes my players do slide tackles and changes the d-pad tactics

http://answers.ea.com/t5/FIFA-13/Fifa-13-PS3-controller-issue/td-p/199838

Does anyone else get that glitch where the penalty bar isn't visible?

Happens to me for 90% of my penalties.

Dropped more points than I can remember due to last minute penalties without the bar.

I saw other people mention it on the ea forums when the game first dropped but it doesn't look like enough people had the problem for them to bother fixing it.

I swear to god if Ronaldo's calm celebration ain't in this i'm gonna let the glock spit.