Van Bommel >>>>>>

Mame Biram Diouf

article_944d8f0bd0fb95ac_1339175138_9j-4

Mark van Bommel ends playing career with red card

Mark van Bommel finished the final game of his playing career on the sidelines as he was sent off 19 minutes from time following a trademark crunching tackle.

The 36-year-old former Netherlands midfielder announced his retirement on Sunday  after he had been dismissed playing for PSV

Eindhoven in the 3-1 league defeat by FC Twente.

He was sent off for a second yellow card after a reckless late foul.

He won 79 Dutch caps, and also played for Barcelona and AC Milan.

"I was unsure [about retiring] for a long time and the fans made it difficult for me," he told Dutch publication De Telegraaf.  "I might have been able to do another year but I wanted to be the master of my destiny."

"The red card I received was perhaps a reflection of the whole season," Van Bommel added, after a campaign in which PSV - who he previously represented from 1999-2005 - finished second behind champions Ajax and lost the domestic cup final to AZ Alkmaar.

"I particularly remember the best moments," he said. "I had 20 minutes to reflect on this remark."

The midfield enforcer won eight league titles in four different countries while with PSV, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and AC Milan from 2000 to 2011.

Van Bommel also captained the Netherlands team during a 12-year-long international career in which he gained notoriety alongside fellow tough tackling defensive midfielder Nigel de Jong at the 2010 World Cup.

• Upvote 4