Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

Supermalt

I dunno where I stand on Jay no more....

The move isn't genius, or innovative imo.

Yes he'll go platinum, yes he got a load of money, and yes he go on another worldwide arena tour off the back of it. New artist? Great. Jay Z? Hmmm. done it all before...

I just hope the music stands up cos tbh Jay ain't really said sh*t to me for a while.

with it being platinum already it would be sooooo easy for him to put out a piece of shit.

i dont think he will.

I was with you reading that post and then I pressed play on the video.

'Lol we're all different but we're connected by shitty food' - nah sorry I'm not a fan of attaching sentiment to shite that is actually meaningless.

the advert was just an example of a good advert from a slimy corporation

mcdonalds marketing schemes don't infringe on the things i care about, like art

aside from that our countries been going through a good food revolution for years now

everyone knows mcdonalds is bogus, not everyone knows Jay Z is tho

The advert starts with a grime track which is clearly aimed at them getting the ear of 'UK urbanites' as the advertising execs would probably call them.

The funny thing about it is you're talking about Samsung infringing on the art yet at first everybody who responded bar Dave (resident Techy) was solely focused on the music, fuck I didn't even realise Samsung were involved or read the video description up until it was pointed out by someone in this thread.

I've not seen or heard anything to suggest Samsung have tried to influence the creative process of Jay Z or any of the producers making this album so I don't buy their marketing scheme is infringing on art.

the presence of money doesn't invalidate a piece of art anywhere, I did my dissertation on this exact subject and some of the most famous pieces in the world were commissions but we'll agree to disagree.

/

says the guys who's afraid to up his face

time and place ill make you see Jesus you f*ckin cretin

pmsl

Yes he'll go platinum, yes he got a load of money, and yes he go on another worldwide arena tour off the back of it. New artist? Great. Jay Z? Hmmm. done it all before...

I just hope the music stands up cos tbh Jay ain't really said sh*t to me for a while.

i dont think jay z gives a shit about being the best rapper anymore

all about di bizness

#new rules

i dont think jay z gives a sh*t about being the best rapper anymore

all about di bizness

#new rules

I agree with this, I've wondered for a while what his end game is, he is so cut throat and measured in his business that I can't help but think he's got something much bigger in mind.

the presence of money doesn't invalidate a piece of art anywhere, I did my dissertation on this exact subject and some of the most famous pieces in the world were commissions but we'll agree to disagree. 

Can you expand on this in any way?

Jay the business man has become bigger/more important than Jay the rapper...this is why I've lost faith but I do hope he delivers

'Dumb down for my audience' etc

/

Chaps you listened to a Jay album yet? (I might be getting you confused)

Can you expand on this in any way?

I don't want to write too much but I was intrigued by this idea that money somehow always has a negative effect or invalidates true artistry so I did my dissertation on the subject and found that money has been at least partially the driving incentive behind some of the most famous pieces of art in the world.

Michelangelo was paid to do the Sistine Chapel but I don't think Lionel & Dave would question his artistic ability or the integrity of the piece based on that, then you've got guys like Alphonse Mucha who were very talented and are now held in high esteem but weren't taken very seriously when they were alive because they didn't restrict their work just to canvases and mediums that were considered fine art.

I could go on for a while but the bottom line is if this album is fire in 5 years time nobody is going to be saying 'Jay dropped a classic...but I wonder how that deal with Samsung affected how he went about putting it together'.

• Upvote 1

Tbf Samsung are a pretty ethical company with some heart inside them somewhere

''Internet is like the wild wild west right now, we need to make the new rules''

Physical CD sales are never going to be the same again

If this works, then it could set a possible new standardisation, biggest change since the arrival off ITunes etc

Interesting concept

But have no high hopes for the actual album

Tbf Samsung are a pretty ethical company with some heart inside them somewhere

''Internet is like the wild wild west right now, we need to make the new rules''

Physical CD sales are never going to be the same again

If this works, then it could set a possible new standardisation, biggest change since the arrival off ITunes etc

Interesting concept

But have no high hopes for the actual album

You know physical CD sales on albums, which this is, still outsell digital packages.

The true Jay-Z fan is still gonna buy the CD for the notes, packaging, and to put it with all their other Jay memorabilia.

Jay-Z hasn't set nothing, just with his years in the game, and his name he has basically been able to cut thru the standard major music label release tape.

He has a million sales - with no single, no video, without having to personally go to radio, doing listening parties, he getting internet, print and all forms off media reporting on the back of the marketing deal, blah blah blah, all boxes are ticked.

Def Jam can't tell him sh*t. The radio can't tell him sh*t. Bloggers opinion doesn't matter. He has to play ball with nobody but Samsung.

But worryingly this makes you wonder what the music will actually be...

its 2013 ffs no one cares about this keeping it real crap

guys a f*ckin multimillionaire does he still have to make crappy hood videos with guns and half naked chicks?

Guys are stuck in the 90s

f*ck jay z

translation: i'm on team jay z stole biggies rhymes

ffs why art thou so basic?

/

at Flojo yeah i see you

i suppose for me though, as a rapper it's your voice talking to me in the first person, therefore the art is so much more relatable than say an artist that composes a piece then walks away and let's it stand alone, unlike the rapper who channels the piece through him for a lifetime/career

rappers been getting paid millions for for their albums for years, it's not them getting paid that hurts

another point, rappers been brandishing logos for years, but originally by way of cultural influence

i'm talking N.W.A. wearing Raiders caps etc

however i will cringe to f*ck when i see a pair of Beats headphones in a rap video

and that's where this whole argument started

di big cringe

with it being platinum already it would be sooooo easy for him to put out a piece of sh*t.

i dont think he will.

It could go the other way. Without the pressure of it having to be commercially viable or having a lead single he is free to put out what he wants. 

According to a report, Jay-Z's "Magna Carta Holy Grail" will not be going platinum before it drops despite being available for a million users for free.

Jay-Z's next album, Magna Carta Holy Grail, will be available to a million Samsung users for free but the album may not immediately qualify for platinum certification. This news comes after Jay-Z announced his partnership with Samsung and questioned whether going platinum before releasing the album was an option. 

Billboard currently does not recognize bulk sales which are then given for free. Instead, they count sales from retailers that buy in bulk with the intention of selling. Retailers must also purchase the albums for at least a third of the project's Suggested Retail Price, or SRP. It is currently known that Samsung purchased Jay's album for $5 per unit. However, the project's SRP is not known as of yet.

There is another issue with Jay being certified platinum before the album drops. According to MTV's report, RIAA certification is only available after 30 days from the project's release date. Therefore, Jigga will have to wait for 30 days after releasing Magna Carta Holy Grail before knowing what plaques he can get. 

Jay wondered about this on Monday in a rare Twitter update for fans. 

Jay's Magna Carta Holy Grail follows last year's Watch the Throne with Kanye West. That album reached platinum status. Two of Jigga's last three solo efforts, The Blueprint 3 and Kingdom Come, sold over two million each, earning more plaques for Hov. One album in between, American Gangster, only went platinum. All of Jay's previous releases reached either platinum or multi-platinum plaques with his highest seller being 1998's Vol. 2...Hardknock Life, which went five times platinum.

If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard doesnt report it, did it happen? Ha. #newrules #magnacartaholygrail Platinum!!! VII IV XIII

• Downvote 1

The album name doesn't make sense and is fucking annoying.

Sounds like some pretentious bullshit but nothing I wouldn't expect from the fake gentleman Jay.

Haven't listened to the advert yet but about to, I think the Samsung move is genius though, very innovative imo, even if Jay paid for half of that himself I would still call it smart, I think the album will sell very well but will be interesting to see from a marketing perspective.