Brazil Protests

Sinister

More than a million people are reported to have taken part in protests in about 100 cities across Brazil, the latest in a wave of demonstrations.

Violence erupted in many places and an 18-year-old man died when a car drove through a barricade in Sao Paulo state.

Protests began more than a week ago over high transport fares but are also highlighting corruption and the cost of next year's football World Cup.

President Dilma Rousseff called off a trip to Japan to deal with the crisis.

She has called an emergency meeting of her cabinet for Friday to discuss the unrest.

The newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo, citing official figures, said that more than one million people had taken part in Thursday's demonstrations.

Brazilian media said there were protests in more than 100 cities.

_68268218_busburnrhs_624afp(2).gif

Seems like there's uprisings everywhere at the moment, hope it settles down for the 2014 WC.

RIP Porchy

swear he is out there ?

Flojo whats the latest ?

Cant see much changing before the World Cup, they need it tho....

The country has never been in a better position for change, economy is booming, the worlds eyes are on them with the WC & Olympics, yet the gap between rich and poor is more ridiculous than ever

think their world cup is gonna cost more than the last 3 combined

but that may have been propaganda i read

wouldnt suprise me, the infrastructure in brazil is fucked, transport is terrible & stadiums are madly out dated

not sure how much South Africa cost but Germany, South Korea/Japan were already primed for hosting

RIP Porchy

swear he is out there ?

Flojo whats the latest ?

It's calm where I am but I'm in a rural town in Minas Gerais. I asked some people what they thought about the protests and all of them said they agree with the thinking behind it, the country has more urgent needs than a World Cup right now...consider that from where I am to get to a large hospital you have to travel 12 hours by road.

This world cup is costing more than the last two world cups combined and as per usual the vast majority of the money generated ends up in the hands of FIFA.

These protests are necessarily to actually stop the World Cup from going ahead despite as they're aware it's too late to stop it, they just wanted to bring the world's attention to the corruption and problems they have whilst everyone is here covering the confederations cup.

Former Palmeiras and Barcelona star Rivaldo believes Brazil is not able to host the World Cup next year, as the country has bigger priorities.

The organization of the World Cup has attracted criticism due to overspending and promises that had never been fulfilled.

Protests have been taking place all over Brazil in recent days, as the transportation fares and the cost of living have increased while the government are spending in new stadiums for the World Cup, many of which are expected to become white elephants after the tournament is over.

Rivaldo posted his opinion on twitter, he said: "A silent country can't change, congratulations to the people of Brazil for coming together, showing strength and union. Maybe this way something might change.

It's a shame to spend so much money on this World Cup, while the hospitals and schools remain in poor condition, so much violence, such a mess."

He added: "We are not able to host the World Cup at the moment, we don't need it, we need education and health."

Rivaldo completed: "I wanted to get that off my chest as I was poor too, and I experienced the problems of attending public school, and the lack of good healtcare.

It still hurts me when I remember that my father was run over and died because a public hospital in Recife didn't treat him."

tbh brazilians aint  exactly got it rough no more

You're talking nonsense

/

I've got to give these protesters credit for having the balls as well cos the police here are no joke, got conked in the head with a baton calmly at Carnival for having the audacity to not see the policeman walking behind me and saw a lot of people get some brutal beat downs.

The police here demand respect like nothing I've ever seen, people who were liquored sobered up quick on sight of a policeman.

You're talking nonsense

/

I've got to give these protesters credit for having the balls as well cos the police here are no joke, got conked in the head with a baton calmly at Carnival for having the audacity to not see the policeman walking behind me and saw a lot of people get some brutal beat downs.

The police here demand respect like nothing I've ever seen, people who were liquored sobered up quick on sight of a policeman.

:rofl:

• Upvote 1

You're talking nonsense

/

How ?

Its not the slums as people like  to portray it to be .

It has become very, very westernized in recent years and mellowed down

stacks in talking shit shocker

:/

fix ya face

:/  fixed

now fix your faulty opinions

You're talking nonsense

/

How ?

What are you basing this on cos it's nonsense

You're talking nonsense

/

How ?

Been there,family through marriage , and associates

When i saw the title i was expecting to see some big booty mulattos..

You're talking nonsense

/

How ?

Been there,family through marriage , and associates

Are these people fairly well off? Where did you go?