Music Industry

PopT

There's too much throwaway trend music.

We live in a very fast food music generation. From when we're just copying what the americans are doing and a sub par version at that why would they buy into our product? You think they will support just because we're UK? lol. The american artists are more hungry, they have more avenues, bigger audience etc. 

There is a gap in the market for a good UK rapper to come through making good music, but it needs a UK edge and im not talking about an english accent on beats that are sounding like current US music. That's the equivalent of a UK rapper spitting on EDM music because its the current vibe in the UK, same way bare mc's jumped on dubstep beats because it was the current vibe for a while. Too much people following rather than being innovative.

• Upvote 4

pretty sure its not that easy to just get shows up and down the country either due to that form the venue needs to sign

im not sayin its easy, nothings easy but it can be done. even if its jus doin baree pa's

every city from portsmouth to manny to glasgow have urban club nights frequented by ppl who watch grimedaily etc

Nobody cares, them clubs will pretty much get the same attendance with or without you appearing.

Lets take Wretch he would have went from literally begging for a bring in/£50-150 (max) show money to 3-5k after Tracktor. There no middle ground at all.

• Upvote 1

what Bill Collector says tbh

there's hardly anyone in the UK that actually deserves a leg up

i'd give it to Skepta or CAS at this moment and no one else

aside from that there is most definitely a gap for someone to come through and deliver some good shit minus the cliches

as for EDM if you want to use that term - there is SO MUCH good beat and sample orientated music coming out of the UK right now, Bass Music, Post Dubstep whatever you want to call it

it ain't Grime or Hip Hop but throw the right guy on it and it will sound fresh

tbh everyones just concerned with stunting on the next guy in their latest road vid

think they binned the memo that said it got old years ago

and rap that isnt road rap is just that preachy douchebag tryna sound more intelligent than everyone else by quoting pseudoscience you heard on shady youtube videos shit

no time for that

but ah well

im mainly following metal bands atm anyways

• Upvote 1

JME could have only gone so far, for the reasons you said previous. Like Iggy said you can't bankroll yourself forever when your coming from nothing as while there maybe win's, there will also be losses.

I hear that but people gotta look at Marketing as an investment, it might not pay off right away but in the long run it's gonna put you in a better position.

Instead of copping a 20k car someone would be better off copping an 8k car and putting 12k on adwords or youtube ads to build their European profile.

Possibly put that towards building awareness in America aswell, put that on features, create a bigger show etc...

Driving away that extra 12k is throwing it down the drain.

You gonna look more attractive to a label with that bigger profile aswell, and you'll learn what does and doesn't work by investing in yourself hence learning the business side of music at the same time.

Guest Diddybob

i personally think its possible

none of these road rappers have the business mindset 

from once u get a little buzz u should b doing shows up and down the country like LOADS. theres more of a demand for it then u think

Fekky does

even if it is jus 150 its still 150 and if its building up a fanbase its worth it.

thts wot all these indie bands are doing/same sort of things in america. thts why they call it grinding

The point is your literally ringing a club/promter and begging for a show to perform to people who want to see you & will pay to see you perform, its a oxymoron, it doesn't even make busness sense.

Guest Diddybob

Black music is not respected over here like it is in the US tbh, thats the real reasons why these road rappers can't blow. Even RnB and Soul singers find it hard to blow nowadays, as opposed to the 90's when it was easier for you to see the likes of Eternal Damage, Lyden David Hall, all the way to Craig David on charts.

An artist like Chief Keef for example would bot be allowed to eat in this country, he would be castigated before he even got mainstream attention, and the Uk rappers and artists doing black music don't help the matters either, instead of trying to force the issue and stick to their principles they would much rather jump join a dubstep or pop tune in order to blow.

Guest Diddybob

Nah mate the Uk isn't ready for a road rapper to blow. We all saw how So Solid Crew were hounded by the media, and most of the trouble they had wasn't even from their side but from Northstar. Contrast that with Chief Keef and his movement, where they're showing guns in videos, and gnerally being as ignorant as can be yet their still getting picked up by major labels(Interscope, Def Jam) still being featured on big albums from some of the leading artists in music today. Road rappers in this country mostly tend to be even less ignorant, yet none of them manage to attain mainstream success, and the ones who look like their on the way to doing that i.e Giggs also managed to get blocked in some way.

Guest Diddybob

And you shouldn't be using the argument that most are shit. A lot of these artists aren't making music any worse than Jeezy, Chief Keef, Gucci Mane etc.

tbh i just dont think music buyers buy that UK guys can live that kinda lifestyle you know

with US its an exotic thing and everyone lives off the urban legends whatever

but over there they still dont think guys here live that life

might aswell just make that road money tbh

forgot about Fekky

got a lot of time for him which is mad cos he ain't doin nothin new creatively

just got the right mix of voice, work ethic and credibility i reckon

Diddybob has a point tho

there was a Black American Music infrastructure in place a long long time before Hip Hop came along

My Response to this topic as i raise sum valid points in regards to the type of music UK "urban/Road" artist make for mainstream.

we need more independent album releases from multiple independent labels and certain artists need to group together and organize tours.

1 Artist Alone aint gonna take the glory alone its more then likely gonna be a movement that will captivate the masses nationwide.

something else i wanna mention after the 2nd album most of these uk rappers are finished in the mainstream.

only person who survived that trap was dizzee rascal and a few others.

the greedy mentality  of these selfish uk rappers is holding the scene back years.

once a guy gets put on by a uk label he doesnt wanna frog march none of his people into the label and score deals

for his collective or fellow artist is appalling only person whos ever done that im aware of is wiley and mega man they have frog marched people into mad label situations away from doing vocal collabos.

in 2002 mega man (So solid Crew) scored a big boy label deal for so solid beats and he signed east connection for 50k cash for a single deal ask d-power :) #boss moves 

• Upvote 1

forgot about Fekky

Diddybob has a point tho

there was a Black American Music infrastructure in place a long long time before Hip Hop came along

?

you ask a lot of questions on here mate

go on then, enlighten us

For me how it works in america can't work here for a number of reasons.

In England I get the feeling the labels still feel they have a responsibility to society, whereas in america money is king and they don't give a fuck.

If someone is willing to buy it they will sell it.

You look at how the Metropolitan Police tried to stop Giggs being signed despite the fact he hadn't really done anything to warrant that type of action whilst you've got Keef and them man running wild and still being on a major.

It's night and day in that respect and means to get the machine behind you a whole heap of compromises have to be made.

• Upvote 1

JME could have only gone so far, for the reasons you said previous. Like Iggy said you can't bankroll yourself forever when your coming from nothing as while there maybe win's, there will also be losses.

I hear that but people gotta look at Marketing as an investment, it might not pay off right away but in the long run it's gonna put you in a better position.

Instead of copping a 20k car someone would be better off copping an 8k car and putting 12k on adwords or youtube ads to build their European profile.

Possibly put that towards building awareness in America aswell, put that on features, create a bigger show etc...

Driving away that extra 12k is throwing it down the drain.

You gonna look more attractive to a label with that bigger profile aswell, and you'll learn what does and doesn't work by investing in yourself hence learning the business side of music at the same time.

I hear you, but sometimes its about your opinion of worth, say I invested into myself to get this 20k, do I reinvest and lose or do I just live and go do something else as I dont think or believe I'll gain 2nd time round.

forgot about Fekky

Diddybob has a point tho

?

you ask a lot of questions on here mate

go on then, enlighten us

bro i like u and ur posts, i enjoy most of ur opinions

i was jus askin wot credibility ur talkin about

lol erm ok

well in this money illusion music genre (i like that term) it would seem he's actually eatin, music or other

he comes across as a level headed guy in interviews so i can buy into him, most come unnatural, bummy or just fucking dumb

affiliated enough to get away with a bit of nonsense chat?

i ain't no street ambassador so feel free to correct me

lol

aint nobody got time fo dat

but look at these road rappers most are sh*t and dnt have a game plan or anything. thts the REAL reason they arent gonna blow. i know for a fact alot of these man cnt even make their line blow how they gna make their career

:rofl:

• Upvote 1

In England I get the feeling the labels still feel they have a responsibility to society, whereas in america money is king and they don't give a f*ck.

You look at how the Metropolitan Police tried to stop Giggs being signed despite the fact he hadn't really done anything to warrant that type of action whilst you've got Keef and them man running wild and still being on a major.

It's night and day in that respect and means to get the machine behind you a whole heap of compromises have to be made.

Some truth spoken there.

Some boroughs have ordered youtube to lock off hood videos and all. These guys are hardly getting any buzz ffs  :rofl:

In England I get the feeling the labels still feel they have a responsibility to society, whereas in america money is king and they don't give a f*ck.

Some truth spoken there.

England is the same. This music label shit as a theory isn't hard, as a practice a lot of these monkeys have no idea.

England is the same. This music label sh*t as a theory isn't hard, as a practice a lot of these monkeys have no idea.

You've got a better insight into it than I have but from what I can see the mentality of both societies runs into how they do business.

America is so in love with this facade of the American Dream so badly that they feel it's outside the remit of others to stop someone eating from something that other people are willing to buy into. Middle America will kick up a fuss and get mad about it but at the end of the day if it makes money nothing is going to be done about it, Governement bodies aren't getting involved.

Here I think it's much different, Afroman is saying Councils are trying to get content taken down because they think it reflects badly on their area and this is for man who've barely got a buzz. We saw what happened to So Solid etc, Britain as a society is really comfortable with the idea of people speaking a whole heap of madness and prospering from it.

Americans are shameless in their pursuit of the dollar, we've still got that stiff upper lip in some respects which is bad news for street artists or whatever you want to call them...you better get your 'hands up in the air, festival techo music' grind on.

• Upvote 3

England is the same. This music label sh*t as a theory isn't hard, as a practice a lot of these monkeys have no idea.

You've got a better insight into it than I have but from what I can see the mentality of both societies runs into how they do business.

America is so in love with this facade of the American Dream so badly that they feel it's outside the remit of others to stop someone eating from something that other people are willing to buy into. Middle America will kick up a fuss and get mad about it but at the end of the day if it makes money nothing is going to be done about it, Governement bodies aren't getting involved.

Here I think it's much different, Afroman is saying Councils are trying to get content taken down because they think it reflects badly on their area and this is for man who've barely got a buzz. We saw what happened to So Solid etc, Britain as a society is really comfortable with the idea of people speaking a whole heap of madness and prospering from it.

Americans are shameless in their pursuit of the dollar, we've still got that stiff upper lip in some respects which is bad news for street artists or whatever you want to call them...you better get your 'hands up in the air, festival techo music' grind on.

interesting

Guest Diddybob

Agree.