The Damage of Hip Hop?

stacksbranning

sh*t parents are more to blame than mindless music

Well no, and nobody in this thread has stated that rap is the sole cause of evil in the world, simply that it's an extremely negative influence

Yeah it has a negative influence but when you are of a certain age 17+ you should be able to know this sh*t is entertainment and not real life

most rap is parental advisory so it aint really the "rappers" responsibility that the kids parent is lackadaisical and their 13 year old is downloading & listening to Lil wayne or Jay-z 

i hear that but who here WASNT listening to rap age 13 or younger, probably no-one, so all our parents must be sh*t right?

kids are gona do what they want to do in the end of the day. all you can teach them is whats right & wrong. etiquette etc 

Guest Diddybob

Even if Hip Hop wasn't here we will still want to wear Louis and Gucci, Hip Hop contributes to it, but even in the 70's when there was no rap, you still had black people chasing designer brands, Hip Hop is a product of the consumerism culture we live in, and where 90% of these rappers grew up poor is no wonder there more fixated with luxuries when they do get rich.

Yes, you can blame hip hop.

There are causes behind it

Poverty

racism

ignorance

captalism

etc

It's like saying you can't blame guns on violence

There is the root BEHIND the violence, but guns themselves still present a problem

The negativity in hip hop should till be addressed

It can still provide a route for legitimately poor people without being laced with evil

• Upvote 2

Rappers themsewlves do not = bad father

But in general, rap & hip hop, is definitely a cancer in the black community

How is it a cancer?

The message & culture is cancerous to it's main market (the youth)

Mainstream rap presents an overly detrimental message that promotes

a negative self image

glrofication of materialisation

glorification and desensitisation to violence

disrespect towrds [black] women

genral ignorance

lack of culture

Media is one of the biggest tools in shaping culture, and rap culture THE biggest media influence on the black world

So one of the biggest influences in black culture is all of the above

100% 

was literally thinking baout this the other day 

only genre of music that has songs titled

versace

tom ford

may bach msuci

aston martin etc etc

got all these kids wanting to wear gucci lv etc etc 

its getting out of hand

You forgot songs like shoot a nigger,kill a nigger ,My gun go off,Shoot to kill etc.

Its ignorant and its destroying our community

• Upvote 1

yeah all them factors you listed have more of a effect on a malleable  young mind. being in poverty,capitalism,racism or whatever makes someone what they become as a adult. if you are surrounded by that obviously you are gona feel some type of way and be a certain way lol 

Yes, you can blame hip hop.

There are causes behind it

Poverty

racism

ignorance

captalism

etc

It's like saying you can't blame guns on violence

There is the root BEHIND the violence, but guns themselves still present a problem

The negativity in hip hop should till be addressed

It can still provide a route for legitimately poor people without being laced with evil

yeah all them factors you listed have more of a effect on a malleable  young mind. being in poverty,capitalism,racism or whatever makes someone what they become as a adult. if you are surrounded by that obviously you are gona feel some type of way and be a certain way lol 

rap doesn't have a message cos this generation dont like to think some computer babies 

i think what he's trying to say is less about a direct influnece i.e i'm gonna shoot somebody ergo my listeners will also do so, but the culture and ideology that surrounds it 

do anything to get money, expensive brands are important, anyone who doesn't agree is a fag/ p*ssy etc

which a lot of people subscribe to, but wont attribute it to rap exclusively, more to a lifestyle perpetuated by rap 

think its cuz you grow up in a shitty area and u see all these brand names. you need that immediate gratification so u bang out those shifts then spend that money on a gucci belt wanting to have something nice

i dont think thats a bad thing obviously people need to understand it aint all about having material sh*t as there is way more to life. thats in every race white,black etc its a capitalist world and has been for hundreds of years now, doubt RAP can change that even if everyone became a political/conscious rapper and everyone stopped the brand naming/misogynistic songs

:/ duno what all this influence sh*t is about

does someone actually listen to these rappers and go do it cos a rap song said so

them type of people obviously haven't had a loving parents who can give them advice and help them opposed to a rap song dictating their out come

Come on bro you are being naiive

Nobody hears a rapper say SHOOT and goes out and does it

I know you read the Quran and you know music is banned because it has a great influence over peoples minds

We are not talking about the most basic level of cause and effect here, we are talking about an ingrained, subconscious perception of self worth and conciousness

A young black girl who will only see images of light skinned women with straight hair portrayed as beautiful for all her life is likely to develop a complex about her looks. Why do you think so many black girls wear weave and straighten their hair?

A young black boy who is shown that the PINNACLE of success is someone like Jay Z, 50 cent etc, will again, develop certain views of himself, what he can/should achieve and who he is

You can raise your child to beleive whatever you want, but you still have to send them out into the world, and for 8 hours a day they are at school with other kids, and then at home they may watch TV (as many kids do, though that's beside the point)

Hip hop and even gangster rap started out as a form of expression of the terrible circumstances of living in the ghetto

But now that life is something to aspire to

And it's not even just the violence, it's the pure unadulterated, unashamed boastful pride of acting ignorant, the flagrant disrespect of women, sh*t look at a rap video. look at how women are talked about

Again, look at the slow degradation of the black boys and girls in England, and look at the correlation of the strength of US culture and the fact that the lifestyles of the African and Carribean in England, and in the united states, are worlds apart

• Upvote 6

Styles P Breaks Down Why “I’m Black” Was Banned

HipHopDX: I wanna start off this Q&A by asking you a sorta heavy question; a question I’ve been curious to know the answer to for eight years. Is it true that Clear Channel and Radio One banned their program directors from playing “I’m Black”?

Styles P: I’m not sure about Clear Channel and Radio One. I know it was banned on a lot of radio stations just period. I mean, you can tell by the amount of spins. You don’t hear it [during] Black History Month…too often. You might hear the [track] behind something or one or two people play it. I dunno, I feel it was banned.

DX: Why do you feel that? Did somebody say something to you specifically?

Styles P: From the record label’s position at the particular time, they wasn’t saying it [specifically], but they was giving a vibe like it wasn’t such a great song to put out...push. It just wasn’t getting what it should’ve. If you’re an artist who pays attention, and you watch how one thing gets pushed, played and how they push a button, and then something else—I blame society on the whole for that one though.

DX: Why do you say that?

Styles P: Because it was easier to put out “I Get High” and get a response than “I’m Black.” But that’s just how society really is. The reality of it is people like to pay attention more to negative shit than positive shit. And that’s just how it goes. So if you’re a person who wanna drop jewels, if you’re not straight conscious and straight backpack and known for that, it’s like you gotta sneak ‘em in and slip ‘em in.

Let’s take movies for instance, is the most violent movie gonna sell the most this week or the most peaceful movie? So I take it like that. I just took it as society wasn’t...ready.

• Upvote 3

Mainstream rap and the culture it brings with it is now a case of LIFE IMITATING ART

Agreed with everything you said in this thread

A lot of impressionable young black people are clearly influenced by rap and anybody who tries to argue otherwise is lying to himself

yeah its all about balance tho that bugatti tune is a club banger imagine every rap tune was about some deep sh*t. that sh*t would be boring 

True, sometimes I wonder what raves do them 'real hip hop' fans go to cause it's like they hate the majority of the biggest club bangers.

Sugarhill Gang made a club banger

Doesn't have to be aggresive / lewd etc to be a club track, though I think this basically makes the point that to be a good club track / entertaining it has to be the former

the era with the absolute best dance tracks (the 70s) had none of that

tumblr_md8r7kBdfh1ry031vo1_250.gif

My niggas on soul train could still get down

yeah its all about balance tho that bugatti tune is a club banger imagine every rap tune was about some deep sh*t. that sh*t would be boring 

True, sometimes I wonder what raves do them 'real hip hop' fans go to cause it's like they hate the majority of the biggest club bangers.

been asking that question since the first rave i went to. also ace be snapping he got a lot of content when its time for it