Hypothesis = Assumption

This is what you stated Lens

so in other words, because he doesn't use the word "hypothesis", he's doing something wrong?

a hypothesis, which is how these experiments begin and is normally the first part of the report, is a guess

so why is calling it an assumption wrong. if they're guessing, and they think their guess is right, it's an assumption until proven

This is what Justin said

Even in engineering/aero stuff, assumptions are made and HAVE to be taken as fact

Lens, since when did a hypothesis have to be taken as fact?

LOL @ taking science for 100% fact. Tony, being in the position I am in and what I have studied, I am in a very strong position to say what I said. You are not a scientist or engineer so relax.

/

To add some lols to the thread:

Straight edge is right on this one

I study engineering and a significant part of it is assumptions

Most of the formulas are based on assumptions to simplify the problem

So yes even though you're stating it's an assumptions when calculating you're writting it down as a fact

For example when calculating heat transfer through a wall you assume that the thermal conductivity of the wall is identical throughout

This is obviously not the case in real life but to stop you from calculating the thermal conductivity of the wall for every square cm you assume that this is irrelevant

So in your calculation it becomes a fact that the thermal conductivity is the same throughout the wall

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Justin I have a scientific background.

Pro wouldn't that be conjectures, which is more of a working hypothesis.

My problem is all science does not operate like that which is what Justin is alluding to.

Nobody said science was 100% fact but it is the endeavor of trying to get as close to fact as possible, why would anybody question it's validity in favour of comments based on no knowledge at all?

no, because if it was a working hypothesis, You would attempt to prove it instead of deciding that You're going to use it as fact during Your experiment

Pro said You take the conductivity as constant throughout, with no attempt to prove or disprove it, so it's not part of the hypothesis

/

This is obviously not the case in real life but to stop you from calculating the thermal conductivity of the wall for every square cubic cm you assume that this is irrelevant

fixed

Lens you are getting confused on wording.

A working hypothesis would be used in Pros example to give him an estimate of how much heat could be transferred through a wall.

The working hypothesis doesn't have to be proven, it is there purely as a basis for his calculations, for him to make an estimate.

End of the day Science is not made up of working hypotheses as was insinuated.

There are also laws and theories in Science.

Ok fine

Took me literally 30 seconds to find this article

Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia. Pedophilia once was thought to stem from psychological influences early in life. Now, many experts view it as a deep-rooted predisposition that does not change

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/14/local/la-me-pedophiles-20130115
Your thoughts?

Ok fine

Many researchers taking a different view of pedophilia. Pedophilia once was thought to stem from psychological influences early in life. Now, many experts view it as a deep-rooted predisposition that does not change

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/14/local/la-me-pedophiles-20130115

Your thoughts?

Of course you're going to find that if you search google. You can find what ever you want. Find an article published in an academic journal not the LA times.

Ok fine

Your thoughts?

I didn't make a comment in that thread regarding the cause of Paedophilia for a reason.

Regardless of the cause, there is always a victim.

I suspect Paedophilia is more complex than Homosexuality but there is no place for it in a modern world where laws are there to protect children.

Justin I have a scientific background.

My problem is all science does not operate like that which is what Justin is alluding to.

Nobody said science was 100% fact but it is the endeavor of trying to get as close to fact as possible, why would anybody question it's validity in favour of comments based on no knowledge at all?

No it wouldn't since with an assumption you don't make an attempt for it to become theory.

A Fact is what's seen as the "truth" based on repeated observations however this "truth" is never final and could completley change.

The science I posted in that thread is based on years of research, observation and data.

It holds more weight than the "Homo's are mentally ill" or "Homo is a choice" brigade which is based on nothing but ignorance.

before any research and observation, they have decided to conduct an experiment, which will have began with an assumption or guess of some kind

saying that homosexuality is something people are born with still doesn't state what the condition/ailment is

I argued mental illness, as that is my first choice of clarification for the condition/ailment. You haven't provided an alternative

I don't see how "they're born with it" or "it's genetic" rules out mental illness. people are born with mental illnesses, as well as diseases, injuries, etc. this homosexuality needs to be classified as a kind of condition/ailment. feel free to suggest one.

The science I posted in that thread is based on years of research, observation and data.

It holds more weight than the "Homo's are mentally ill" or "Homo is a choice" brigade which is based on nothing but ignorance.

before any research and observation, they have decided to conduct an experiment, which will have began with an assumption or guess of some kind

saying that homosexuality is something people are born with still doesn't state what the condition/ailment is

I argued mental illness, as that is my first choice of clarification for the condition/ailment. You haven't provided an alternative

I don't see how "they're born with it" or "it's genetic" rules out mental illness. people are born with mental illnesses, as well as diseases, injuries, etc. this homosexuality needs to be classified as a kind of condition/ailment. feel free to suggest one.

What about creeps who piss on chicks in luke warm showers, who tried for years to trap chicks using the fake pull out tekkers in order to impregnate them, or who would be willing to raise a female child who isn't yours in order to "train her to be your son's future wife"???? Are those symptoms of a mental illness??

No it wouldn't since with an assumption you don't make an attempt for it to become theory.

A Fact is what's seen as the "truth" based on repeated observations however this "truth" is never final and could completley change.

As I said to Lens a working hypothesis doesn't have to be further researched upon itself.

John Dewey used the concept of the working hypothesis as a pivotal feature in his theory of inquiry.

In Dewey's view, the working hypothesis is generated, not directly as a testable statement of expectation, but instead in order to "direct inquiry into channels in which new material, factual and conceptual, is disclosed

As I said to Lens a working hypothesis doesn't have to be further researched upon itself.

>John Dewey used the concept of the working hypothesis as a pivotal feature in his theory of inquiry.

In Dewey's view, the working hypothesis is generated, not directly as a testable statement of expectation, but instead in order to "direct inquiry into channels in which new material, factual and conceptual, is disclosed

so using a working hypothesis he came up with a theory

let me know when it becomes "Dewey's law" :Y:

The article I posted refers to it as a congenital condition.

I would agree with this.