Since Vice docs and vids get posted here..

Supermalt

vice.jpeg

Vice Media, the multi-platform purveyor of music, fashion and quixotic journalism from international trouble spots, has sold a 5% stake to Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox.

Fox, which was spun off from News Corp earlier this year, confirmed the $70m (£45m) deal, which marks the latest stage in the evolution of Vice from an off-beat Canadian magazine into a global brand frequently dubbed the hipsters' bible.

Murdoch has hinted at being an admirer of the Vice brand in the past, tweeting after a visit last year to Brooklyn, where Vice is based: "Who's heard of VICE media? Wild, interesting effort to interest millennials who don't read or watch established media. Global success."

The link-up allows Vice to expand into Europe and India with the help of 21st Century Fox's assets, which include stakes in Sky television channels and chimes with the declared aims of Vice's co-founder, Shane Smith, for his company to become "MTV, ESPN and CNN rolled into one".

Minority shareholders, which include the marketing group WPP, hold around 25% of Vice. Vice's founders will continue to have majority control of the board in a structure that Smith said "gives us the freedom to do what we want to do".

Vice definitely have some clowns working for them. I've been reading their magazine and online content for years now, and I can't believe some of the crap some writers come out with. But imo it's pretty insignificant to their larger news coverages and productions, which shits over all other mainstream media.

Lmao at esquilax

WHen i see someone like that i used to think they were nuts in their head. Recently i realised They are just extremely boring people

someone like what lol?

It's that post teenage cry for depression

It's a phase that I see more and more middle to upper class kids of this materialistic generation passing through

People who watched excitement in school, saw the fights, heard about peoples "home problems" and all the gossip

but they were nothing

average grades, nothing excentric, no special skill, no special disability, not liked but not bullied

the generation of nothings, limited in their imagination navigate their lives using the wealth of information available to them through the internet to somehow standout

their hobbies, interests and lifestyle seem broad and diverse when they are viewed as a solitary creature, what a wealth of information they possess

when studied in a group their conversations are monotonous; witty rhetoric plagiarised, unconformist fashion or styling choices are merely a trend

When the dim glare from your apple laptop fades it makes no difference that you live in a squat and started writing graffiti. There is no medal in narcissism for impressing other people with the diverse music you just saw on your favourite blog on what music you should be telling people about.

When your eyes close, you are still boring, you don't have the strange etherial energy that others possess, you won't have it tomorrow either.

• Upvote 1

I only really watch the food related vids these days they have some interesting stuff. I clocked from the Syria coverage something dodgy is going on with them, deffo seemed like it was produced with an agenda.

Still just need to take it with a pinch of salt like all media these days.

• Upvote 1

Lmao at esquilax

WHen i see someone like that i used to think they were nuts in their head. Recently i realised They are just extremely boring people

someone like what lol?

It's that post teenage cry for depression

It's a phase that I see more and more middle to upper class kids of this materialistic generation passing through

People who watched excitement in school, saw the fights, heard about peoples "home problems" and all the gossip

but they were nothing

average grades, nothing excentric, no special skill, no special disability, not liked but not bullied

the generation of nothings, limited in their imagination navigate their lives using the wealth of information available to them through the internet to somehow standout

their hobbies, interests and lifestyle seem broad and diverse when they are viewed as a solitary creature, what a wealth of information they possess

when studied in a group their conversations are monotonous; witty rhetoric plagiarised, unconformist fashion or styling choices are merely a trend

When the dim glare from your apple laptop fades it makes no difference that you live in a squat and started writing graffiti. There is no medal in narcissism for impressing other people with the diverse music you just saw on your favourite blog on what music you should be telling people about.

When your eyes close, you are still boring, you don't have the strange etherial energy that others possess, you won't have it tomorrow either.

this is very well put but for all i know you're just describing yourself

I only really watch the food related vids these days they have some interesting stuff. I clocked from the Syria coverage something dodgy is going on with them, deffo seemed like it was produced with an agenda.

Still just need to take it with a pinch of salt like all media these days.

And Libya..

c/s fully

It's not that simple dub. It takes more than a cursory understanding of Middle Eastern politics to really grasp it, and I've struggled aged 27 with a geographical mindset. The average kid in America who watches Vice instead of doing their history homework will not get it.

Put it this way, the age old freedom fighter/terrorist binary applies here. Vice are essentially saying nothing that Al-Jazeera, CNN or MSNBC, France24 etc have said on this situation. The FSA in Syria, and the Libyan rebels have been portrayed as classic freedom fighters, friendly David types slinging stones at military Goliath regimes..

If it were that simple it would be fine, but it isn't.

I'm not saying RT and PressTV are the truth on everything, but on the Libyan situation they are the only channels, along with a few pundits scattered across the political spectrum who are presenting the dangers of funding/supporting/putting PR money behind these rebels.

Libya was a secular state headed by a long-hated strongman. Also a former European colony. Same with Syria, although Bashar Assad is arguably the most bless leader Syria has had in generations, despite the reputation of his family.

These 'rebels' kicked off in Libya, Tunisia, Egypt etc, all linked up to topple the North African regimes, before splitting off and either heading further south into Africa (Mali, Niger, Somalia, Nigeria etc), or heading east to continue the fight against the Syrian government (which has maintained throughout nearly 3 years of war now...). They are fighting a RELIGIOUS war, a jihad in their mind and our portrayal of these guys as freedom fighters is triple edged propaganda.

Edited:

This illustrates my point. The MSM is essentially framing these governments as legitimate targets to fight against, and stupid people are taking heed. Bare European and Americans are joining in because it appears just in a strange neo-liberal interventionist way.

I will find you some comments from the Syrian sniper documentary, hold tight.

• Upvote 2

All Vice essentially need to do to maintain their 'edgy' look is roll with the rebels. Luckily people saw through it.

Vice guys were shook when the riots kicked off here, they'd have been yacked for their Raybans and di Hasselblad.

I suggest VICE speak to the soldiers on the other side aswell. I dont know but I have a feeling that they are fighting for a cause greater than that of just protecting a "cruel dictator" for a paycheck. Like religious freedom in Syria perhaps?? Get a neutral perspective VICE!

terrorist fuckers... kill these mugs.. extremist pussies

Propaganda piece for the opposition at best. I did not even watch the other parts. Why in the hell the SAA would kill its own civilians ?. No one died in Aleppo until these snipers moved in Aleppo. There was no need to defend it

That's typical one-sided reporting, but not only VICE other medias of the western world are reporting about syria like that. there are strategies...

This video fucking NATO's and pro-American shit. Kiss their ass's. Later, they will kill you for oil and influence in the region. They wanted to shit on your religion. Remember the Afghanistan and Iraq.

There was no revolution in 2011. Just snipers firing at police and the people and then, car bombings and an organised invasion and looting of the country. thats what it is. The tsunami of media lies and hysterical attempts of certain countries at the UNSC to get a free bombing pass for Syria are the evidence that it was planned long ago...those tunnels all over Syria used by FSA were not dug in one day. All the weapons and logisitics for the "FSA" were also prepared earlier.Get your mind right.

A very morbid curiosity about "kills" from the interviewer bordering on a warped sense of pleasure upon hearing of someone else's death.There is no glory in war and when this war is over they will all have to sit around a table and hammer out a peace deal and for many generations Syrian society will be polarised until reconciliation is complete ,Western countries and Israel orchestrated the ruin of Syria and are hugely responsible for over one hundred thousand dead, just like Iraq and Libya.

No, a popular president that enjoys the support of 70% of his people, far more support than the US President enjoys at home. These sniper are a perfect example of Zionist "democracy" in action. These snipers started the war, by indiscriminately shooting at protestors and police, so the protestors though the Government shot them and the police though it was the protestors. The entire time it was armed gangs funded by US/Israel/France/UK/Tukey/and Gulf monarchies. They are sick people!

And this is pure propaganda bS just like the rest of western media on this issue. Like Assad is going to totally ignore military targets and just attack civilians. What a joke people believe this

• Upvote 4

ah I see, thanks for the explanation

yeah seen the same sort of stuff when watching a piece they did on the India/Pakistan issue

I don't think its 100% them trying to push political agendas onto people's minds, I think its also that they know what sort of journalism gets people coming back - in that if they deliver a story in a certain way that makes the viewer feel they understand the topic and feel able to make a real opinion on it, they will appreciate the piece and come back for more - where as with news channels you're not as often left with the feeling of properly understanding the issues after watching a single piece

There is a multipronged media offensive, right wing media, left wing media, youth media, social media (Youtube, FB, Twitter etc - all monitored as we know, but championed during the Arab Spring as free speech platforms....*ahem*). The 21st Century is all about the Information War.

People don't just check one source, so when the information appears to be the same in several they are more inclined to adapt their view. There are certain regional gatekeeper news agencies - Al-Jazeera has been seen as one of these, especially post-9/11 when they were getting the exclus' interviews with Al-Qaeda guys.

If you've followed, Al-Jazeera fell in line a long time ago.

Vice are victims of their own subjectivity. They are brainwashed (neo) Liberal hipsters who like the idea of 'humanitarian' intervention. Vice present the world in simple terms for simple minds, it's nearly always a simple 'good/bad' juxtaposition, at best a 'strange/cool' one.

• Upvote 1

There's a coo' ass Adam Curtis documentary about Rupert Murdoch, and how he essentially set out to wage war against the elite power structure that ran the media in this country. The Profumo scandal (MP got caught with a brass) was kinda hush-hushed, and Fleet Street was scared to really report. IIRC he was outraged at this and decided to publicize it in the NoTW. He basically got rich off exposing elites and celebrity life.

He fucked off to America, got bare funding and started buying up newspapers, finally copping himself some prime stakes in high-brow broadsheets like The Times.

Buying Vice was right up his alley, Murdoch sees himself as anti-elite, anti-classist.

Same with Shane thingy from Vice, he has huge ambition..