Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby Reds

Job References

25 posts in this topic

If a job i am currently working in, has given me a gross misconduct thing.

When a job calls and asks them for a reference, can they inform the new job of my gross misconduct and shit.??

Or do they just say "he has worked her from 2012 - present" nothing else.??

anyone been had a new job reject them from a bad reference??

From experience when filling out references for guys theres always the question of 'why they are no longer working for us' which has to be answered honestly. 

They may also ask abt your sickness record as well

can you not just get a refrence from the place you worked before the gross misconduct one?

From experience when filling out references for guys theres always the question of 'why they are no longer working for us' which has to be answered honestly. 

No but im still working for them, everything is calm. Theres a lot of pressure on me tho cos i cant make a single mistake any more.

But when the new job asks them about me, can they talk about gross misconduct??

cant u jus blag u were self employed for that time n not put em down?

say ebay shop or somethin more pertinent to ur industry

can you not just get a refrence from the place you worked before the gross misconduct one?

might have too.... but i already put it down, if i call them up and ask if i can change the reference, they probably gone get suspicious

No but im still working for them, everything is calm. Theres a lot of pressure on me tho cos i cant make a single mistake any more.

I believe they will be obliged to mention gross misconduct OR refuse to supply a reference. 

This is kind of the whole point in references, the whole 'can't give a bad reference' is myth but what the company might not want to do is put themselves in a position for you to be able to go back at them with the 'unfair' argument. 

I believe they will be obliged to mention gross misconduct OR refuse to supply a reference. 

This is kind of the whole point in references, the whole 'can't give a bad reference' is myth but what the company might not want to do is put themselves in a position for you to be able to go back at them with the 'unfair' argument. 

damn

How many references did you supply?

Just the one. this whole gross misconduct stuff just happened in the last two weeks..

If you still work there surely you haven't been found guilty yet?

If you still work there surely you haven't been found guilty yet?

thats what im thinking now... gonna have to join the union cos i dont even fully no

can they inform the new job of any warnings received???

The company can say what they like as long as its accurate if not you can sue them if youre denied a new job based on your reference

Would be more concerned about having multiple bad references tbh, 1 isn't the end of the world, people make mistakes.

Got fired from my first IT job and new I'd be stuck without using then as a reference as I had no other working experience, gave them as a reference for every job since and never had a problem.

Legally they can refuse to give a reference or only confirm the dates you were employed with them.

They cannot discuss you being dismissed or any disciplinary actions taken against you, and really if they DO inform future potential employers of your dismissal you can sue them.

Gross misconduct generally constitutes termination of employment. Every company will ask you why you left previous jobs. Do what everyone else does, and lie.

basically they will snitch

holla at me for a reference done it for so many akhis

cant u jus blag u were self employed for that time n not put em down?

say ebay shop or somethin more pertinent to ur industry

won't they ask for proof?

duno never been in the situation but what are they gona do ask for ur tax records

Legally they can refuse to give a reference or only confirm the dates you were employed with them.

They cannot discuss you being dismissed or any disciplinary actions taken against you, and really if they DO inform future potential employers of your dismissal you can sue them.

Gross misconduct generally constitutes termination of employment. Every company will ask you why you left previous jobs. Do what everyone else does, and lie.

this isnt true.

they just have to be truthful

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

the whole 'employers cant give a bad reference' misunderstanding comes from most employers not wanting to risk being sued.

if you were late x amount of times, they can say that if they have proof. if you had a disciplinary, they can say that as its part of your performance in the company.

they can say anything, as long as its truthful.

most of the time youll probably get a 'good' reference. if you had a disciplinary but werent fired, i doubt the company will even mention it.

Some referee told my mum the person that she was interviewing had mental problems and led to a break down. The whole reference thing is murky business tbh. All comes down to the indviudal giving you the reference more time they don't give a fuck about rules.

do companies who ask for references e-mail the past company or call them?

The company I work for now wanted email, phone and address of my previous employer (excluding head office) This was done for CS Clearance, so not your average check.