Job References

Bobby Reds

If a job i am currently working in, has given me a gross misconduct thing.

When a job calls and asks them for a reference, can they inform the new job of my gross misconduct and shit.??

Or do they just say "he has worked her from 2012 - present" nothing else.??

anyone been had a new job reject them from a bad reference??

From experience when filling out references for guys theres always the question of 'why they are no longer working for us' which has to be answered honestly. 

No but im still working for them, everything is calm. Theres a lot of pressure on me tho cos i cant make a single mistake any more.

But when the new job asks them about me, can they talk about gross misconduct??

From experience when filling out references for guys theres always the question of 'why they are no longer working for us' which has to be answered honestly. 

No but im still working for them, everything is calm. Theres a lot of pressure on me tho cos i cant make a single mistake any more.

I believe they will be obliged to mention gross misconduct OR refuse to supply a reference. 

This is kind of the whole point in references, the whole 'can't give a bad reference' is myth but what the company might not want to do is put themselves in a position for you to be able to go back at them with the 'unfair' argument. 

I believe they will be obliged to mention gross misconduct OR refuse to supply a reference. 

This is kind of the whole point in references, the whole 'can't give a bad reference' is myth but what the company might not want to do is put themselves in a position for you to be able to go back at them with the 'unfair' argument. 

damn

Would be more concerned about having multiple bad references tbh, 1 isn't the end of the world, people make mistakes.

Got fired from my first IT job and new I'd be stuck without using then as a reference as I had no other working experience, gave them as a reference for every job since and never had a problem.

Legally they can refuse to give a reference or only confirm the dates you were employed with them.

They cannot discuss you being dismissed or any disciplinary actions taken against you, and really if they DO inform future potential employers of your dismissal you can sue them.

Gross misconduct generally constitutes termination of employment. Every company will ask you why you left previous jobs. Do what everyone else does, and lie.

• Downvote 1

Legally they can refuse to give a reference or only confirm the dates you were employed with them.

They cannot discuss you being dismissed or any disciplinary actions taken against you, and really if they DO inform future potential employers of your dismissal you can sue them.

Gross misconduct generally constitutes termination of employment. Every company will ask you why you left previous jobs. Do what everyone else does, and lie.

this isnt true.

they just have to be truthful

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

the whole 'employers cant give a bad reference' misunderstanding comes from most employers not wanting to risk being sued.

if you were late x amount of times, they can say that if they have proof. if you had a disciplinary, they can say that as its part of your performance in the company.

they can say anything, as long as its truthful.

most of the time youll probably get a 'good' reference. if you had a disciplinary but werent fired, i doubt the company will even mention it.