The Football Book Topic

HangTheDJ

What you lot been reading lately?

My favourite football book of all time is Paul McGrath: Back from the Brink.

Genuinely fantastic read, check the reviews if you think I'm being biased. More a compassionate story about a man battling his demons than a football book though.

Got Jonathan Wilson: The Inverted Pyramid before holiday but left it at home, gonna start reading it today though.

51FB0I190wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis :

"Just over twenty years ago I went to my first Tottenham Hotspur football match at White Hart Lane. From that moment I was hooked. From the Lane is the story of one fan in the following of their club over two decades, interspersed with episodes of a personal life that all impact back on what it is like to be a football fan."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

51FB0I190wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis :

"Just over twenty years ago I went to my first Tottenham Hotspur football match at White Hart Lane. From that moment I was hooked. From the Lane is the story of one fan in the following of their club over two decades, interspersed with episodes of a personal life that all impact back on what it is like to be a football fan."

Sounds sh*t

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

%7BBC80B805-9995-479F-A38A-AB58B5F252EA%7DImg100.jpg

Synopsis

A passionate look at the history of the most popular sport - football - in the most romantic of countries - Brazil The Brazilian football team is one of the modern wonders of the world. At its best it exudes a skill, flamboyance and romantic pull like nothing else on earth. Football is how the world sees Brazil and how Brazilians see themselves. The game symbolises racial harmony, flamboyance, youth, innovation and skill, and yet football is also a microcosm of Latin America's largest country and contains all of its contradictions. Travelling extensively from the Uruguayan border to the northeastern backlands, from the coastal cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo to the Amazon jungle -Bellos shows how Brazil changed football and how football shaped Brazil. He tells the stories behind the great players, like Pele and Garrincha, between the great teams, like Corinthians and Vasco de Gama, and the great matches, as well as extraordinary stories from people and pitches all over this vast country. With an unerring eye for a good story and a marvellous ear for the voices of the people he meets, Alex Bellos describes the startling range of football spinoffs found in Brazil; from Autoball, literally football with cars and a giant leather ball to Ecoball, played in the heart of the rainforest, from Button football and its highly regulated procedures organised by fearsome Buttonistas to the truly alarming

Gives me another piece of football to read about.

Im sure Mike won't mind me adding these 2 football books to read.

*Inverting The Pyramid The History Of Football Tactics by Jonathan Wilson, got through a bit of this and it's really good, if you like your tactics and how they work go for this.

*Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius Of Dutch Football by David Winner, yes you guessed it all about Dutch football.

Reading this Fifa one will remind me of a book so these get added.

Wish I actually saw this topic before using the other one.

Got through most of "Death or Glory! - The Dark History of the World Cup" should finish this soon, it is a really insightful read into the darker side of the World Cup, stories we may have heard or haven't. Was blown away by some stories.

I want to get "The Ball Is Round" by David Goldbatt, nearly 1000 pages of the history of this game we call football. May pick up "Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football" also by Jonathan Wilson.

• 6 months later...

*Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius Of Dutch Football by David Winner

Really good, half way through it.

Another one I come across this weekend thanks to 5Live World Football Phone In

5ef1afd83c0ddab250c9ccf84fe39289.png

The Blizzard

I’d been frustrated for some time by the constraints of the mainstream media and, in various press-rooms and bars across the world, I’d come to realise I wasn’t the only one who felt journalism as a whole was missing something, that there should be more space for more in-depth pieces, for detailed reportage, history and analysis. Was there a way, I wondered, to accommodate articles of several thousand words? Could we do something that was neither magazine nor book, but somewhere in between?

As I floated thoughts and theories to anyone who would listen, I became aware there were other writers so keen to break the shackles of Search Engine Optimisation and the culture of quotes-for-quotes’-sake that they were prepared to write for a share of potential profit, that the joy of writing what they wanted and felt was important outweighed the desire to be paid. The only problem, I explained to those around the table in Fitzys, was finding a publisher equally willing to take the gamble.

I suppose you don’t really think of your old school-friends, people you only really see these days in the context of the pub and the match, as having jobs. Sitting next to me that night, though, as he’d sat next to me in sixth-form English, was my mate Peter, who happens to run a design and publishing company. Flushed on White Amarillus and a Darren Bent hat-trick, we knocked around ideas for the rest of the night; remarkably, in the cold light of morning, it still seemed a viable plan.

The result, about a year later, is The Blizzard, named after the short-lived and eccentric, but rather brilliant, Sunderland newspaper launched as “the organ of Mr Sidney Duncan” in 1893. It only ran to 12 issues, during which time Duncan, who pretty much wrote the whole thing himself, doubled the cover price in an attempt to cut circulation because he found the effort of handling all the money he was making so tiresome, a policy I’m pretty sure we won’t be following should we experience similar success.

Nor is The Blizzard the organ of any one individual. Rather it aims to provide a platform for writers, British and foreign, to write about football-related subjects important to them, be that at the highest level or the lowest, at home or abroad. Eclecticism is the key. There will be no attempt to impose an editorial line; all opinions expressed are those of the individual author. Equally, within certain basic parameters, writers are encouraged to write in whatever style they see fit.

The priority is the product rather than profit, so we will not go chasing readers; the aim, rather, is to remain true to our ethos and to provide an alternative to that which already exists.

Jonathan Wilson, Editor

Issue Zero is you pay what you like

http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/issues/zero

Issue Zero

Gabriele Marcotti discusses the ethics of the physical preparation of players

Philippe Auclair talks to Guus Hiddink about his latest challenge, as coach of Turkey

Scott Murray blames Roy of the Rovers for poisoning the wells of English football

Uli Hesse looks at St Pauli’s efforts to preserve their counter-cultural credentials having won promotion to the Bundesliga

Ian Hawkey explains why the away goals rule should be abolished

Ouriel Daskal and Raphael Honigstein debate the financial future of the Champions League

Issue One synopsis

Here are some of the features we've already got planned for Issue One:

David Winner talks to Dennis Bergkamp

Jonathan Wilson considers the career of Victorio Spinetto, the father of anti-fútbol

Dominic Sandbrook compares Don Revie to Richard Nixon

James Montague tells the improbable story of Israel's first international team

Scott Anthony interviews the Greek legend Vassilis Hatzipanagis

Dileep Premachandaran looks back at the history of Indian football

To suscribe

http://www.theblizzard.co.uk/subscriptions

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/blzzrd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump,

Gonna stat on inverting the Pyramid,

download issues 1-9 of The Blizzard aswell so that should keep me occupied.

Beckham - Both Feet on the Ground.pdf 1.1 MB

Football in the New Media Age.pdf 792.6 KB
Handbook of Soccer Match Analysis - A systematic approach to improving match performance.pdf 12.4 MB
LA84 Foundation Soccer Coaching Manual.pdf 2.9 MB
Nutrition and Football - The FIFA FMARC Consensus on Sports Nutrition.pdf 1.7 MB
Science and Football V - The Proceedings of the Fifth World Congress on Science and Football.pdf 8.3 MB
Science and Football VI - The Proceedings of the Sixth World Congress on Science and Football.pdf 5.2 MB
Science and Soccer - Thomas Reilly.pdf 3 MB
Soccer in a Football World - The Story of Americas Forgotten Game.pdf 2.9 MB
SOCCER-COACH-L Basic Soccer Coaching Manual.pdf 652.3 KB
Teachers and Football - Schoolboy association football in England, 1885-1915.pdf 1.1 MB
The Football Manager - A History.pdf 1.2 MB
The Science of Soccer - John Wesson.pdf 3.2 MB
The Science of Training - Soccer.pdf 1.3 MB
The Work of Professional Football.pdf 1.6 MB
Youth Soccer - From Science to Performance.pdf 

http://uploading.com/files/414fcad8/Football%2Bbooks.rar/

• Upvote 1