Chuka Umunna: Black people need more than ‘lazy stereotypes’ on film and TV

Afroman

Films and television programmes are using “lazy stereotypes” in their portrayal of Britain’s black communities, a rising Labour MP said today.

Chuka Umunna said black people were shown as successful in fields such as sport and pop music, while ignoring success stories in business and the City.

“If young black people can’t see people who look like them editing our newspapers, sitting on the Supreme Court or running our great British companies, how can we give them the hope that if they work hard, they can make it too?” the shadow business secretary and Streatham MP said in a speech for Black History Month.Mr Umunna, who some have tipped to become Britain’s first black prime minister, said role models were vital to inspire young people to succeed.

“One of the reasons is because our broadcast and film media have a tendency to stereotype black people: to present an image of black British people that suggests we can succeed in sport, entertainment and music, but not necessarily in other fields.“If I am wrong about this, then why do so many black British actors have to leave the UK for the US to get decent film and television roles that fall outside the stereotypes?

“It’s often only after they’ve made it big in the States that black British actors get more — and more varied — roles here. That is unacceptable and has got to change. As a society, we cannot allow people to default to lazy stereotypes.”Mr Umunna added that there was “a powerful desire” among all Britons for every individual to be allowed to rise to the top.The former lawyer was speaking at the legal offices of his former firm, Herbert Smith, where he told an audience of black professionals:

“There was a time when the number of black City professionals would barely have filled this room — when we all knew each other well because there were so few of us.”

This guy always drops that real still.

there are hardly any british jamaican doctors out there

a few fresh nigerians

some women black doctors

but male british born state educated black doctors are a total rariety

The same can be said about the city and law

Make of that what you will chukka.

Consider the fact that Chukka has identified one of the major reasons why and that he wants to remedy that.

I know many successful black professionals in the UK, I work for Amazon and we're very represented here and I don't mean in the packing and warehouse sections.

Why do the majority of your judgements relate to the medical industry? Is it possible you have a sheltered/limited outlook on the success of young black professionals based on the industry you're in? Have you thought maybe young blacks aren't being encouraged into your specific profession and the racism starts way before we have an opportunity to do anything about it?

Bollocks to the City and Law sections too there are many black traders, barristers, lawyers and even judges. This generation is producing more MP's too and when we're a little older I'm sure the saturation will be evident.

This basically.

I know plenty of black professionals with serious jobs.

I think Chuka's point probably relates to a wider issue with society. Why do so many people of varying colours think that each colour should act / behave a certain way? Well, I think it boils down to identity issues. I think insecure people with shitty parents deffo watched MTV base growing up and took it as a template for their life. Simple fact is everyone is an individual and is different.

How many of you have been abused (e.g. called a coconut) for going against what the worst stereotype of your race? Be honest.

I blame the parents for these stereotypes existing. Whilst you can't control the way society is going to try to stereotype your children, you can surely do your best to stop them becoming that stereotype.

what tv shows n films are made about business?

u got the leads in 2 of the best crime thriller shows on tv in time, luther n shadow line

playing the righteous saviour docs in holby, casualty, doctors

swear i even seen a black geeza in the advert for dowton abbey

bigger questions would be why the disproportionate number of black characters compared to asians considering populations

why the lack of scottish n welsh high flying dramas? is tv stunting their job ops?

why are we taking our inspiration from tv? lets all take a break

• Upvote 7

But tbh, mixed raced people stay winning and claiming the black title.

I digress, no ones ever called me a white c*nt before.

Excuse the pun but we're all tarred with the same brush

Trust me you are not . You guys are more likely to be accepted once people see you have a white mum and two white  grandparents 

• Downvote 8

I'm sorry, how are people supposed to see this? I work in a professional environment I don't introduce myself and say "hi there, my nan is white"

When I've been spat at by people from moving cars and had nigger screamed at me or when I was chased by skinheads in Catford do you think they cared that my nan is white? My mum is fully mixed race but with fairer skin and she received racism from both blacks and whites mate the grass seems green doesn't it?

To all extents and purposes I am a black man, I chose to openly share my background with you lot but don't go on everything is rosy brotherman

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

None of you lot can tell me what I am, I am Black, I am White, I am more than both of these things and above classification based solely on my race.

If you want your race to be the sole definition of your existence, feel free gentleman. To me that's just an attribute and I'm saying to you that I too have experienced, and am experiencing the same negativity that you say is making us unequal, and your argument is "But you're not really black"?

That's some mature logical arguments right there gents keep it up and think about what I'm saying to you.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

None of you lot can tell me what I am, I am Black, I am White, I am more than both of these things and above classification based solely on my race.

If you want your race to be the sole definition of your existence, feel free gentleman. To me that's just an attribute and I'm saying to you that I too have experienced, and am experiencing the same negativity that you say is making us unequal, and your argument is "But you're not really black"?

That's some mature logical arguments right there gents keep it up and think about what I'm saying to you.

Fair enough you might have experienced a bit of racism in your life ,who hasn't ?  My point wasn't solely about that  .

I just find it was extremly disrespectful for you to say that we are "cut from the same cloth" because really and truely we are not .

Bar the odd bit of racism here and  there  you lot  have been the media and white mans darlings for quite some  time . 

And this is the racism from both sides that I spoke of earlier. How do you know what I've been through? Are you telling me you've been spat on for being black? Because I'm telling you that I have. White mans darlings you know, what a generalised ignorant statement, man actually referred to "my race" as "you lot". Man can't scream racism and ignorance and mirror it back on someone because they're a lighter tone to you, how can you not get that?

I'm going to assume you're trolling going forward, and leave with the message that in order to be treated as equal you need to do the same to other's and not judge them on the experiences and history of similar people. With the mentality that you have how do you expect to thrive and be a success?

• Upvote 8

Fair enough you might have experienced a bit of racism in your life ,who hasn't ? My point wasn't solely about that .

I just find it was extremly disrespectful for you to say that we are "cut from the same cloth" because really and truely we are not .

Bar the odd bit of racism here and there you lot have been the media and white mans darlings for quite some time .

Think its a bit harsh dicrediting mizchiefs post tbh.

Dont wanna go too deep into this.

In certain circumstances his comments does hold weight

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1