Black Girls Rock

Pro

Was just flicking through TV when i came across this on BET. Queen Latifah was giving a speech and she kept talking about how black women are beautiful, strong. Do some people constantly need to hear these types of words to overcome societies induced inferiority complex or do you think it's counterproductive.

I saw somewhere there was a whole issue with this and people started trending white girls rock in response.

Also reminds me of watching BET awards one time and Alicia Keys said 'look how great we are, everybody wants to be us' my ex was like she should stfu cuz her white mum is the one in the audience supporting her.

I only watch these things for the performances tho, did u know the soul train awards is banning lip syncing, that should be interesting

I understand it. But dont buy into it.

Alot of this strong black woman talk usually comes from single mothers who dont value the importance of having a father figure in their kids lives and I just cant support that.

I dont mind the black woman is beautiful promo but too many basics are given the nods in this kind of acknowledgment.

Then again women are in general are deluded when its comes to calling people beautiful. The way I see girls gas their tank size friends on FB is astonishing

I saw somewhere there was a whole issue with this and people started trending white girls rock in response.

Also reminds me of watching BET awards one time and Alicia Keys said 'look how great we are, everybody wants to be us' my ex was like she should stfu cuz her white mum is the one in the audience supporting her.

I only watch these things for the performances tho, did u know the soul train awards is banning lip syncing, that should be interesting

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Keep seeing this show advertise in the bottom corner while I watch BET, I never paid it no mind, never investigated the show  just thought it would be some stupidness with blacks celebrating stuff what a normal person does every day?

178123.jpg

How can a name shape your identity? A Kansas City girl felt like her name was suggesting a certain type of person, and she doesn't fit that mould.

19-year-old Keisha Austin decided to change her name to Kylie, after she suffered from incessant bullying because of the name Keisha. Austin apparently wanted a name that sounded more "white," as she lives in a predominantly white neighborhood.

She claims kids at school would ask her whether or not there was a "La" or a "Sha" in front of Keisha, and a teacher asked her if it was spelled like the pop star "Ke$ha."

"It's not something I take lightly," she said. "I put a lot of thought into it. I don't believe you should just change your name or your face or anything like that on a whim. I didn't want to change my name because I didn't like it. I wanted to change my name because it didn't feel comfortable. I don't connect to it. I didn't feel like myself, but I never want any girls named Keisha, or any name like that, to feel hurt or sad by it."

Keisha's mother wasn't all that happy about the name change, but knows he daughter is still the same person.

"I saw it as a source of pride," said Keisha's mom. "I wanted her to have that. It felt like a gift I gave to her, and she was returning it. Keisha was the only name I ever thought of, and when I talked to her in my belly, I talked to Keisha. But she's still the same person, regardless of her name."

Watched this yesterday while I was at work. Decent little show. Some inspirational black female figures giving empowering speeches for the women in my culture. Venus, Mrs. Edelman, Latifah etc.

Stuff like this is needed imo as cringe as some may think it is. The things that will plant seeds in the younger generation and show them other role models other than Nikki Minaj and RiRi.

• Upvote 2

Guest Chelsea Jack

we don't see it cos we live in london, but i bet it's not as disproportionate as you think, you have to remember that ethnic minorities make up under 8% of the population.

Over the last few years the UK has made a considerable effort to ensure that every different social group is equally represented across the board

have a look at the UK Parliament statistics

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2010/may/07/election-reaults-black-politics-britain

• Upvote 1

if you're not from america it's difficult for you to understand but the concept resonates with young black girls across the globe

it's still very much segregated

race is a massive issue out there and it's fully vocalised not like here where they like to brush it under the carpet

I think it's a great concept, remember it airs on Black Entertainment Television not fox or mtv, why shouldn't they dedicate a show to honour successful black women - i caught the venus williams tribute, twas splendid!

It's not about these young black girls watching hollyoaks, made in chelsea, towie, geordie shore etc all the time when there isn't even a single black face on the cast, most of the time

sister sister / moesha / keenan & kel / jamie foxx show / martin / one on one / smart guy / fresh prince etc- shows like these were brilliant and very much needed.. the black Cinderella starring brandy was great also, all my youngins watch that sh*t

Positif

if you're not from america it's difficult for you to understand but the concept resonates with young black girls across the globe

it's still very much segregated

race is a massive issue out there and it's fully vocalised not like here where they like to brush it under the carpet

I think it's a great concept, remember it airs on Black Entertainment Television not fox or mtv, why shouldn't they dedicate a show to honour successful black women - i caught the venus williams tribute, twas splendid!

It's not about these young black girls watching hollyoaks, made in chelsea, towie, geordie shore etc all the time when there isn't even a single black face on the cast, most of the time

sister sister / moesha / keenan & kel / jamie foxx show / martin / one on one / smart guy / fresh prince etc- shows like these were brilliant and very much needed.. the black Cinderella starring brandy was great also, all my youngins watch that sh*t

Positif

Bit disappointing to see some of the 1st few answers.