Genealogy

I was at my grandads not too long ago, 1st time in a while, and he had a picture of his own grandfather on the mantle piece, was quite bizarre as I grew up in that house and have never seen my great great grandfather before, he must have got the picture recently.

My grandad saw me looking at the pictures and was speaking to me about how he remembers him, when he used to play with him on his knee, either in Carriacou or Grenada, but this must have been in the 30's.

He told me they called him Hans cos of his initials and he had 10 children, including his mother, my great grandmother.

I think he said that Hans drowned, I assume crossing the Caribbean Sea from Carriacou to Grenada.

The thing that has fuelled my curiosity is really my great grandmother, I have heard so much about her but never seen her, she was 1 of the youngest of the 10 siblings but died 1st I believe, I think in her late 20's, so there aren't many pictures of her which survive, my grandad said there is supposed to be 1 somewhere but he's not sure who has it.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about my grandads mother, she said she would see her outside the house washing her hair in the morning as she walked to school, she was probably no older than 5 or 6 at the time, but it has built a type of legend in my head.

It's funny the things you take for granted and don't try and find out about your family, I never even knew there were 10 siblings.

I've done a little research and have found info on my great grandmothers brother, I think he moved to Alabama, turns out I have tons of family out there, I'm seeing names of her other siblings, and typical 1st names in my family which I didn't think anything of seemed to have been passed down, they are as frequent in my family in Alabama which is crazy.

Has anybody done any family tree research?

How far have you traced back?

Find anything interesting?

Where did you get your info from?

My paternal grandfathers family had a family reunion last year in Barbados and unfortunately we werent able to go however we were sent a family tree book and it's so amazing to see. I've got family right here in london I didn't even know about. Considering how "small" Barbados is and how everyone seems to know each other I was quite surprised.

I'm gonna find it and see how far back it goes.

I know on my paternal grandmothers side we know exactly which plantations our family come from.

My great aunt actually had children with a plantation owners son or grandson not sure so that side of family are most fair skin with blue/green eyes

both my granddads are from coventry, used to live a street down from each other in what is now the city centre, 1 worked in the car factories boxing for the clubs, and 1 was a wheeler n dealer, made nice money off rations in the war

both my nan's families emigrated to coventry for work (lol), one from wales and one from newcastle, both from big families

they all knew each other back when they were kids, one side became pretty wealthy from their businesses n made sure they splashed it all before they died, the other side slogged it in the factories

don't know much before that, although apparently a long lost uncle has done research on the welsh side which would be interesting, my nan used to ignore the fact she was welsh so no1 really knew fuck all

1 of my great grandads used to ride around my side of cov selling fruit n veg from his horse n carriage, pretty funny thought, used to gamble his earnings away apparently

n all of the geordie side died from stomach cancer, which no doubt they've passed onto us lot

my fam our all rich sunni muslims from turkey who invaded canada mumzy came to england for next man and raised her fam end of

i was too much for step dad so left mum gt ill passed away inherited money and house

my family history u nosey bastards

no esqui bt my girl is a black princess frm nigeria who will inherit a shit load of money n responsiblities wen her father dies cant wait

Just looked at the family tree i mentioned it starts from my great great grandparents so not as far back as i thought. From them though theres over 400 members. 

Also this family is of my great grandmothers family so my family name side isnt even documented. I'd assume its as big if not bigger as ive got a fairly common surname in barbados. 

Would love to do my Jamaican side for both my gran and grandads side. I get so many friend req on fb from my ja family, theyre trying to organise a family reunion for next yr or the yr after.

You guys should trace your sh*t back to the motherland and find out where you're really from if you can.

My grandmother from Grenada told me just before she passed away that her own mother told her that they trace back to Ghana through a man, forget his name, might come to me later.

Not surprised though, I've always thought Grenadians look like Ghanaians.

Would love to know about my Jamaican grandad but don't know anything and never seen any of his family, he supposedly had a daughter before my dad, she lives in America I think, when you find out these things as an adult wow.

Guest Chelsea Jack

u gt an accent smadddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

i mean i wish i cud call u an listen 2 it

i mean i wont get off on it

i jus love u

:lmao:

what's your attraction to smaddy?

Sorry J, I searched my grandad family name, which is quite rare so it's easier I guess, google showed results for geni.com

So I started building a family tree and it merged with the guy who put my great grandmothers brother (his grandfather).

Hans has 139 descendents and that is from only 2 of the 10 siblings that are on the tree.

Father is Congolese so are both his parents

Donny is Brazilian so are both her parents because they spent most of their years in Portugal they had to say they were Portuguese in their early years for employment status apparently it's was difficult for Brazilian ethnics back then in Portugal

I saw their graves in Rio last summer

They sent Donny to live with her Aunt in Lyon that's where she met Pops and that's where I was born but like most black children spent a lot of time being looked after by my grandparents(Father's parents they lived in Setubal for a while then moved back to Congo before their deaths)

Donny's black grandparents are Afro-Latin American aka like The King so I am thinking they could be originally from any African country because slaves were shipped to Brazil

I feel angry with myself for not knowing my history what Vasco Da Gama done to Brazil

For me to support Portugal from 2008-2010(even though I hated Dunga and it made me stop supporting Brazil) I should of know better

If I find out Donny's white grandparents are from either the following France/Portugal or Belgium I will probably top myself.

Where your parents from Porchy?

Why you not surprised Mike? I thought you was from the Congo?

Mum alluded growing up we had family from elsewhere, people always surprised when I said I was Congolese. My maternal family name is actually a city in Liberia too.

On my Dad's side, he was born in DRC but family background from Sierra Leone.