Surnames

My Mum wanted us to have both names but my Dad wouldn't have it, I would slyly like to have her name (as I have always been very close to that side of my family) but I know that when I marry he won't be accepting any double barrell for me nor our children so it's best forgotten. 

The upper class do it to preserve the status from the mothers family.

at what point does this stop?

say two people with double-barrelled names get married

I assume more time the final name from each would be used but it isn't unusual for the child to get 3 or 4 names in that situation.

5 and 6 names happen aswell.

You are not spanish or upper class. Shut up

While given names have been used from the most distant times to identify individuals, the advent of surnames is a relatively recent phenomenon. 

In Britain, hereditary surnames were adopted in the 13th and 14th centuries, initially by the aristocracy but eventually by everyone. 

Henry VIII ordered that marital births be recorded under the surname of the father

Thought you may aswell know the origins of your point of view.

In Quebec, since a 1981 reform of the civil law, women are not permitted to adopt their husband’s name at marriage, not even if they apply for an official name change

There is no uniformity around the world regarding naming customs, a name is purely a means of identification.

To say there is a right or wrong way is preposterous.

• 1 month later...

I have a double barreled surname (Father's family name and mother's family name). I was raised by my mother but saw my father's family (aunts/uncles/grandparents/cousins) much much more than i did see my dad.

My son has my double barrelled surname, however i wanted to have his mothers surname as one of his middle names so we put that in there. Reasons were i wanted the connection to be there, as Caribbean Afrikans our history and lineage is interupted enough, so i just wanted him to have an easier way if he ever wanted to trace back all brances of his family.  Im not with his mother anympre so its gonna be all kinds of tings when/if i have another child, and or get married.

• Downvote 1