The Christmas & New Year Run In

Flojo

I can't remember the league being this delicately placed coming into a Christmas period, over the next 3 weeks the league could change pretty drastically given the number of six pointers involving teams within the top 8.

Take Liverpool for example our next five fixtures are

Liverpool

(A) Tottenham

(H) Cardiff

(A) Man City

(A) Chelsea

(H) Hull

Looking at those fixtures I don't think it would be too bad for us to get 8 points out of a possible 15 but looking at the fixtures of other teams I have no clue where that would leave us coming into the new year.

Arsenal

(A) Manchester City
(H) Chelsea

(A) West Ham United
(A) Newcastle United

(H) Cardiff

Chelsea

(H) Crystal Palace

(A) Arsenal

(H) Swansea

(H) Liverpool

(A) Southampton

Man City

(H) Arsenal

(A) Fulham

(H) Liverpool

(H) Palace

(A) Swansea

Everton

(H) Fulham

(A) Swansea

(H) Sunderland

(H) Southampton

(A) Stoke

Spurs

(H) Liverpool

(A) Southampton

(H) West Brom

(H) Stoke

(A) Man Utd

Newcastle

(H) Southampton

(A) Crystal Palace

(H) Stoke

(H) Arsenal

(A) West Brom

Southampton

(A) Newcastle

(H) Spurs

(A) Cardiff

(A) Everton

(H) Chelsea

Looking at those fixtures I think Everton and Man City are going to come into the new year in strong positions.

City's most difficult games are at home where they're ridiculously strong and whilst they aren't very good away, I'd expect them to beat at least one of Fulham or Palace.

Everton have come through the most difficult part of their run in with 4 points from OT and the Emirates and head into probably the easiest run in.

How do you see your team doing over the Christmas period and who do you see gaining ground or falling off?

*Special mention to Man Utd who aren't in the top 8 but are a team I think could make up a lot of ground, check their fixtures.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Faaaack our run in is a madness. I would be happy with 7pts

It really is, if we win our home games and don't lose to Spurs that would be acceptable, I think we can get something at Stamford Bridge as well but I'm practically writing the City game off.

yep how i see it draw against spurs,win against cardiff,loss against city(possibly heavy),a loss at chelsea,win against Hull. We haven't really got a deep squad. Will show how far players have come this season.

we need 9 points from them games

It really is, if we win our home games and don't lose to Spurs that would be acceptable, I think we can get something at Stamford Bridge as well but I'm practically writing the City game off.

yep how i see it draw against spurs,win against cardiff,loss against city(possibly heavy),a loss at chelsea,win against Hull. We haven't really got a deep squad. Will show how far players have come this season.

I think we can get a result at Chelsea, both defenses are a shambles at the moment. 

:/  at this thread

• Upvote 1

just that its taken certain man 5 seasons to make a topic

• Upvote 6

just that its taken certain man 5 seasons to make a topic

:/

I thought I explained it adequately in the first sentence.

I can't remember the league being this delicately placed coming into a Christmas period, over the next 3 weeks the league could change pretty drastically given the number of six pointers involving teams within the top 8.

And in the next post for good measure

:/  at this thread

The most intense period of the season with a league table looking unfamiliar and delicately poised, what's puzzling?

• Downvote 1

This period really tests the depth of a squad, our options at the top end of the field worry me a bit in this sense.

We need to be putting teams to the sword at home early doors and seeing games out, Stevie could potentially miss the Spurs game which could be a blessing in disguise given how he struggles with the pace of a game against teams that press in midfield. 

It was only a matter of time with SG, BR never subs anyone until the 75th minute. Some times we are winning and he doesnt even make one sub SMH. Rotation is key in these periods im sure Luis Alberto and Iago Aspas are hungry to get a run! November- december is the litmus test for this team. Im happy how we are deading weaker teams with ease. We havent even peaked yet we have missed Coutinho for example for a long chunk of our season. Once he is match fit and sharp I expect even more goals. Its the balance of defence and attack though. I see a settled defence of johnson skrtel sakho enrique as very strong. Its just peak Skrtel is unpredictable and Enrique is slumped LOOL

Exactly SG will be a loss in home game against smaller sides as well as the set pieces. Not worried about the Spurs game in that sense. Allen put in a strong performances yesterday I expect a midfield trio of Lucas,Allen,Henderson being enough to cope with the 3 man midfield of tottenham.

15 points would have told me we was winning the league.

However the expected 1 point today, has me thinking we shall get 6 points.

I expect defeat at City, then a bounce back of sorts against Chelsea, its what happens after that which concerns me. We don't usually play Boxing day lol.

Liverpool

(A) Tottenham D

(H) Cardiff W

(A) Man City L

(A) Chelsea D

(H) Hull W

Arsenal

(A) Manchester City L

(H) Chelsea W

(A) West Ham United W

(A) Newcastle United D

(H) Cardiff W

Chelsea

(H) Crystal Palace W

(A) Arsenal L 

(H) Swansea W

(H) Liverpool D

(A) Southampton W

Man City

(H) Arsenal W

(A) Fulham W

(H) Liverpool W

(H) Palace W

(A) Swansea D

Everton

(H) Fulham W

(A) Swansea D

(H) Sunderland W

(H) Southampton D

(A) Stoke D

Spurs

(H) Liverpool D

(A) Southampton D

(H) West Brom W

(H) Stoke W

(A) Man Utd D

Newcastle

(H) Southampton W

(A) Crystal Palace D

(H) Stoke W

(H) Arsenal D

(A) West Brom L

Southampton

(A) Newcastle D

(H) Spurs D

(A) Cardiff W

(A) Everton D

(H) Chelsea L

Arsenal

Man City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Everton

Spurs

Newcastle

Man United

Southampton

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

ztg86s.png

So after the last round of games before Christmas 3 points separate the top five teams, Liverpool  are top of the league today but could quite easily be fifth by New Year's day and level on point with Newcastle. Man Utd have got two winnable games  (Hull and Norwich City) coming up and have a good opportunity to make up ground whilst the others take points off each other.

When you look at previous seasons it gives you a better idea of how tight it is at the top and how strange a season it has been so far.

2ex8r2c.jpg

2009-10

8 points separating the top 5

20 points separating the top 10

eaqs7a.jpg

2010-11

7 points separating the top 5

12 points separating the top 10

261zwk5.jpg

2011-12

12 points separating the top 5

23 points separating the top 10