How do you respond to racism

Fighting Weight

When it isn't your 'race' that's on the receiving end of it?

Imagine there are a group of men sitting at home watching television, a programme comes on showing what could be seen as a negative stereotype of a particular race of person

1. imagine the group of men watching are the same race as you, and they make some sort of racially themed comment - how would you react? how would you view it? what would you think of the people?

2. Imagine the person on the show is the same race as you, but the people watching and commenting are not - what would your reaction be now?

Had to have an argument about why its wrong to call an Asian guy "Paki", because for some reason as "loads of my Asian friends use it" that makes it okay, and they're somehow in the right.

Most non-black people I've been about tiptoe around talking about Black people as a group (at least when I'm around), unless its in their defence.

Haven't really heard anyone talk in a racist manner about white people, though they do get generalised a lot, basically "white people" is the name used to refer to people who economically and socially oppress other (mainly black) races.

But yeah, don't really run into much racism these days.

Guest Chelsea Jack

paki is a bit of an odd term though, cos it shouldnt really be a racist one if you are referring to a pakistani. It's not dissimilar to saying pole, brit, aussie etc

The problem arose from all the people who would drop shit like "FUCKIN PAKI c*nt" to anyone who appears to be of south asian origin. In that context it's racist, cos then the term paki is solely meant to be offensive. Unfortunately this usage is now what the term is most commonly associated with, so it's no longer politically correct for any non asian to use it. Period.

That's always been my take on it. If i'm wrong someone please correct me.

I think the "problem" so to speak, is that its taking a word that should refer to those from a single country, and saying its fine to refer to all people from the Indian subcontinent as that. And its not even playing stats (because statistically speaking you'd be more correct referring to everyone as 'Indian') its just using the term 'Paki' because it has a ring to it.

So you're using this term which kinda has an undertone of "fuck your actual identity, you look like this so I'll call you this", which makes it offensive even if you're using it to refer to a Pakistani person.

Of course there is still situations in which people don't like to be referred to in abbreviations - e.g. "Japs" for Japanese, which for me I dunno, I think abbreviations should be accepted if there's no extra undertones, but maybe there's more to it.

"Chinks" for Chinese is a bit more understandably offensive as its more of a nickname than a straight abbreviation. In Jamaica they use "Chiney" don't they? Is that found offensive?

i was in shoreditch and this c*nt walks up to me and calls me nigger i was about punch his lights out but his girlfriends starts to beg me not to do anything so i just glare so they both move away from me

SMH you failed there tbh

Your supposed to spark him on his nose then jump on his head then flea the scene immediately in those situations

i was in shoreditch and this c*nt walks up to me and calls me nigger i was about punch his lights out but his girlfriends starts to beg me not to do anything so i just glare so they both move away from me

Your supposed to spark him on his nose then jump on his head then flea the scene immediately in those situations

lol, ok.

i used to react badly (the whole sounding off,body bouncing allover) 

now i just i just give a indifferent glance and move on

i realise now when i respond like a  only fires up the said 2bit c*nt hole   and cements their opinion.mking them think they were right in first place

''see that how the monkeys react,like they are in the jungle''

had that beauty of a line more than once

dont react,bloody cunts will trip on their own stupidity

Showing acquiescence and reluctance to confront racism sometimes gives the racist a green light to continue. I usually confront in a logical way because most racists have stupid opinions which when asked to show out  and explain themselves they really show you how stupid that opinion is. For example I work as the only black person among a bunch of delusional middle englanders whose day consists of parroting daily mail opinions of of 'oh england has gone to the dogs because of darkies'. And one time this fat oyinbo woman went on a rant about how the govt is giving Aid to countries and how its not fair . I asked her to explain how the govt giving money or bribes to secure natural resources which uk industries need to continue existing is bad for the economy, all this was said with a smile and this oyinbo heffa could not respond. Other examples are when the asians mess with white girls and the whites try project their passive racial agression I join in with yes damn those pedophiles like Jimmy Saville and rolf harris and ask by the way whats their heritage

• Upvote 4

Almost every instance of racism I've encountered, I've felt like I didn't use the right words...Them 'I wish a sucka would', Malcolm X/Elijah Muhammad/Tupac/Eddie Murphy bars I hope I'd be able to pull don't seem to materialize..most times I've been caught so offguard that the shit can't come to me in time.

"What?" is never an appropriate response, despite it being the default...as it assumes that you really seek an explanation for the act in question.

If race comes up in a discussion, it's different as I can usually anticipate when I'm in the presence of a Daily Mail/Sun reader pretty rapidly...I enjoy schooling people on race as I can do it without anecdotes and using nothing more than British history.

It's all about time/place. There's been maybe 2-3 incidents of random verbal racism that I've encountered. In conversation, I feel I am drawn into racial discussions fairly often, and respond pretty well...Off-the-cuff comments catch me by surprise though.

Almost every instance of racism I've encountered, I've felt like I didn't use the right words...Them 'I wish a sucka would', Malcolm X/Elijah Muhammad/Tupac/Eddie Murphy bars I hope I'd be able to pull don't seem to materialize..most times I've been caught so offguard that the sh*t can't come to me in time.

"What?" is never an appropriate response, despite it being the default...as it assumes that you really seek an explanation for the act in question.

If race comes up in a discussion, it's different as I can usually anticipate when I'm in the presence of a Daily Mail/Sun reader pretty rapidly...I enjoy schooling people on race as I can do it without anecdotes and using nothing more than British history.

It's all about time/place. There's been maybe 2-3 incidents of random verbal racism that I've encountered. In conversation, I feel I am drawn into racial discussions fairly often, and respond pretty well...Off-the-cuff comments catch me by surprise though.

I think you can probably be added to the list of people who didn't understand/read the OP

You are black/mixed yes?

A situation like this kinda happened to me on Friday at training. I'm on the bench waiting to come on, oriental guy on the ice f's up the play and makes a somewhat Kung fu sounding noise at his error, one guy behind me says "Chinese hockey player" and couple of them start doing mock Chinese accents, it goes on one guy saying he may be Japanese and the other saying he can't tell the difference.

Whistle blew and I jumped on didn't have time to say anything but it's no surprise to me as ive been called al Qaeda in the dressing room a few times and questioned as to why I'm not black if I'm Nigerian, most of the time I just give them that look and they do the uncomfortable laugh and turn away.