Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HangTheDJ

Cat D/Write Off etc... Insurance/car heads

44 posts in this topic

Not going to go into too much detail as it's all in dispute still.

My car is going to be written off.

It was a previous Cat D write off.

When I insured it I informed my insurer that it was previously a Cat D.

Someone I know (who works in the industry) says that if a car has been written off and you make a claim, the insurer will only pay half of costs. This person also claims that if it is written off again (which mine is) they will only pay half again.

So they are saying I am going to get a quarter of the book price of my car, minus my excess. Leaving me with pittance.

Is this true? Like I say this person is in the industry but I see nothing about this in my T&Cs and Google isn't having much luck.

Regardless of your car history I'm pretty sure they always offer an insult first time and you have to reject it and tell them come again.

That's standard and I expect a dispute.

But if the industry do quarter the book price for a second write-off then I'm going to be left with essentially nothing. As my excess is about 1/5th of vehicle book price.

cat d is not write off

Really? I hope so.

It's certainly going to be written off this time.

If I can get my book price - excess, I'll be ecstatic. I'm moving abroad in April so was selling in March anyway.

However, if what I'm being told is factual I'll get essentially nothing (as my excess is relatively high).

they only pay out half for actual write offs..as in the cost of repairs is more than the car is worth

so i dont think it will be a quarter

you won't like any of the offers (if any) they come back to you with

even if all was above board, insurance companies always look to put u out of pocket first

When You applied for the insurance, You filled in a field stating the value of Your car, correct? If so, Your insurance price You pay is worke out on You claiming that value if the car is written off. The disputes will be long, but don't settle for less than this value

If You didn't, You still insured the car as a working model, roadworthy, and any dispute should end in You being able to replace it with a like for like working model. Tell the insurer straight, if they're not paying, You need a fully working replacement car to keep, since insurance is them guaranteeing You a working model. Anything less, go to court for breach of contract.

All above depends on You being covered in the scenario that led to the write off, and You paying the excess.

And Cat D is a write off. It means the insurer has decided keeping the car and paying the owner is cheaper than repairing the car, which is essentially what writing a car off is.

The main difference between cat D and cat B is the insurer decided the written off car can be repaired and driven again safely.

The capitalisation of the letter 'Y' in your posts make them really jarring to read.

My ex got full declared price for her write off

Not going to go into too much detail as it's all in dispute still.

My car is going to be written off.

It was a previous Cat D write off.

When I insured it I informed my insurer that it was previously a Cat D.

Someone I know (who works in the industry) says that if a car has been written off and you make a claim, the insurer will only pay half of costs. This person also claims that if it is written off again (which mine is) they will only pay half again.

So they are saying I am going to get a quarter of the book price of my car, minus my excess. Leaving me with pittance.

Is this true? Like I say this person is in the industry but I see nothing about this in my T&Cs and Google isn't having much luck.

I swear april fools come around earlier each year.

you won't like any of the offers (if any) they come back to you with

even if all was above board, insurance companies always look to put u out of pocket first

That's bullshit I got offered more than I paid for the car on my first offer

Had everyone telling me the same thing as you

Make sure u reject the first offer don't except its a bump they expect you to anyway blah blah

Excepted it pronto thought they had made a mistake.

I think you must be an acception to the rule.

I think you must be an acception to the rule.

My ex got full declared price for her write off

guess not.

Never except first offer. Always hold out for more.

Lol

No1 tell him

sigh

calm down u excited bee sting

i got more than I paid for it not gonna risk trying to squeeze a few more pound for them to clock...obviously you aren't meant to get that.

but yh shhhh!

no one say anything.

Wow

How much was it that you excepted bro?

Musta been a good offer for you to except it first time.