Cat D/Write Off etc... Insurance/car heads

HangTheDJ

Not going to go into too much detail as it's all in dispute still.

My car is going to be written off.

It was a previous Cat D write off.

When I insured it I informed my insurer that it was previously a Cat D.

Someone I know (who works in the industry) says that if a car has been written off and you make a claim, the insurer will only pay half of costs. This person also claims that if it is written off again (which mine is) they will only pay half again.

So they are saying I am going to get a quarter of the book price of my car, minus my excess. Leaving me with pittance.

Is this true? Like I say this person is in the industry but I see nothing about this in my T&Cs and Google isn't having much luck.

cat d is not write off

Really? I hope so.

It's certainly going to be written off this time.

If I can get my book price - excess, I'll be ecstatic. I'm moving abroad in April so was selling in March anyway.

However, if what I'm being told is factual I'll get essentially nothing (as my excess is relatively high).

When You applied for the insurance, You filled in a field stating the value of Your car, correct? If so, Your insurance price You pay is worke out on You claiming that value if the car is written off. The disputes will be long, but don't settle for less than this value

If You didn't, You still insured the car as a working model, roadworthy, and any dispute should end in You being able to replace it with a like for like working model. Tell the insurer straight, if they're not paying, You need a fully working replacement car to keep, since insurance is them guaranteeing You a working model. Anything less, go to court for breach of contract.

All above depends on You being covered in the scenario that led to the write off, and You paying the excess.

• Upvote 1

And Cat D is a write off. It means the insurer has decided keeping the car and paying the owner is cheaper than repairing the car, which is essentially what writing a car off is.

The main difference between cat D and cat B is the insurer decided the written off car can be repaired and driven again safely.

• Upvote 1

Not going to go into too much detail as it's all in dispute still.

My car is going to be written off.

It was a previous Cat D write off.

When I insured it I informed my insurer that it was previously a Cat D.

Someone I know (who works in the industry) says that if a car has been written off and you make a claim, the insurer will only pay half of costs. This person also claims that if it is written off again (which mine is) they will only pay half again.

So they are saying I am going to get a quarter of the book price of my car, minus my excess. Leaving me with pittance.

Is this true? Like I say this person is in the industry but I see nothing about this in my T&Cs and Google isn't having much luck.

I swear april fools come around earlier each year.

you won't like any of the offers (if any) they come back to you with

even if all was above board, insurance companies always look to put u out of pocket first

That's bullshit I got offered more than I paid for the car on my first offer

Had everyone telling me the same thing as you

Make sure u reject the first offer don't except its a bump they expect you to anyway blah blah

Excepted it pronto thought they had made a mistake.

• Downvote 1