Grammy 2014

Afroman

:lol:

/

many black ppl are funny

instead of blaming themselves for macklemore winning, their blaming macklemore

black ppl are just excellent at being gd at certain things i.e sports, music etc but who owns them?

when someone else owns your talent, how can u tell them how sh*t goes down? 

watch how hip hop/rap is going to be the new rock & roll

and black ppl will have to come up with something new which unless we fully own it/control it, in time it will be white ppl's too

lol we

You might be white or Jewish but you ain't the 1% or part of the elite.

Don't cheer-lead. Its sad.

• Downvote 1

This. History always repeats itself.

Your just lucky people have technology to view/listen to who they want to etc.

otherwise hip/hop would be peak right now tbh. Kreayshawn would be a platinum artist.

Only issue i have with macklemore is him saying hiphop is homophobic. Which in all honesty it is. 

But no other Art form would have allowed him to express his views on a commercial & global scale like hip hop did. 

On the other hand The beauty of hiphop is a rapper can come out today and criticise that record on his own accord and tell you why he chooses to be homophobic and rightly so. 

All in all we can't dispute the fact that Macklemore dest deserves to be nominated and awarded imo. Even though I thoughT Kendrick was robbed on the night

You cant have guys like chief keef, future, 2chains dominating the rap scene and kick a fuss on guys like macklemore getting a honourable Nod.

All of them>>>>Macklemore.

Only issue i have with macklemore is him saying hiphop is homophobic. Which in all honesty it is. 

But no other Art form would have allowed him to express his views on a commercial & global scale like hip hop did. 

On the other hand The beauty of hiphop is a rapper can come out today and criticise that record on his own accord and tell you why he chooses to be homophobic and rightly so. 

All in all we can't dispute the fact that Macklemore dest deserves to be nominated and awarded imo. Even though I thoughT Kendrick was robbed on the night

You cant have guys like chief keef, future, 2chains dominating the rap scene and kick a fuss on guys like macklemore getting a honourable Nod.

All of them>>>>Macklemore.

in what way?

just look at the past 'Best Rap Song' winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Rap_Song

its more about crowd pleasing than anything

god knows how 'Money Maker' got on there

even if it was crowd pleasing

in da club >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lose youself

what the fuck man

Watching the Grammy Awards this year was like waiting for the end of a terribly bad movie that you’ve seen one too many times before. You know the plot, have memorized the dialogue, and yet you wait for that horribly scripted ending as if it’ll magically change or somehow be better than the last time you saw it. Sadly, in this case, it didn’t.

I should’ve known that the Grammys were going to be disappointing when I noticed on the commercial advertisements for the show not one black artist (aside from Pharrell Williams who had the chart-topping hit “Lucky” with Daft Punk) was featured. “Lorde”, “The Beatles”, “Robin Thicke”, “Katy Perry”, “Pink” and “Madonna” were the names advertised. Later on, they added John Legend to the lineup. I’m also pretty sure the Grammy committee decided to add Jay Z and Beyonce’s performance so as to say, “See? We are being diverse”. LL Cool J has been the host for a few years and they always have Stevie Wonder perform (most often to save the show from  being a complete snooze fest) so that doesn’t count.

While I, and others like myself, were upset at the obvious snubbing of black artists and music, I thought to myself, where are the black artists’ outrage? Why so silent? This is YOUR music…YOUR history…YOUR culture. Black music IS American music. Nearly every dominant genre of music was derived from and made popular by black artists…Blues, Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Country, Rock & Roll. With that said, Although black music is the cornerstone of American music, it is a crime and a shame that it continues to be discredited, appropriated and ignored. (Most of the awards given to black artists were awarded pre-telecast, of course. R&B singer Lalah Hathaway along with Snarky Puppy, Gary Clark, Jr., Mandisa, Tasha Cobbs and Gregory Porter were a few of the winners. The Isley Brothers were the recipients of a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.)

While I mused over this, singer/songwriter India.Arie publicized her thoughts and truth via Tumblr regarding the blatant disrespect of black artists and music at the Grammys. In her letter, she questions and criticizes the Grammys in a commendable fashion for excluding black artists as performers and for not televising their awards. Here is a brief excerpt.

Though it’s called “Music industry’s biggest night” the #Grammys are NOT about the music, it’s a popularity contest. The voting process allows people, to vote on name recognition alone – the music industry politics is a whole NUTHER conversation.  Too much to go into here. NOW the BIGGER losers, are ALL of black music….

Where was the black music community represented in last nights #Grammy show? Performers and Winners (or not) … Where were the black artists?…..

And this isn’t the first time the #Grammy’s has had a show all but excluding young black America and black artists in general, although we set the worlds musical trends. Why NOT televise the lifetime achievement awards of the Isley Brothers? SURELY they deserved to be on televised stage LAST NIGHT! While other artists were on stage TWICE? ~ India Arie viaTumblr

My thoughts exactly.

Like many others who watched the show, I watched and tweeted my thoughts while inwardly seething at the obvious slight, propaganda and politics that were transpiring before my very eyes. A few times I actually changed the channel, but curiosity pulled me back. THIS was supposed to be music’s “biggest” night? Really? I wasn’t surprised at Macklemore & Ryan Lewis dominating the rap awards, Justin Timberlake winning in an R&B category, or even Madonna parading on stage looking like a character from Django (after calling her son “dis n*gga” on Instagram) because, sadly, I expected this. The committee is out of touch and is made up of people who don’t know or even listen to music. They’re only going by what’s popular or who’s on the radio. Who was more disappointed in was myself for expecting validation from an institution (much like the Academy Awards) that was not created for nor actually cared about us anyway.

This is not to say that the Grammys aren’t important and to discredit those who have received them. It’s the most prestigious award and achievement in music to earn, like a championship ring in NBA basketball. However, an artist’s Grammys or lack thereof doesn’t make me love or respect them any less. Marvin Gaye in his lifetime only earned 2 Grammys. Prince only has 7. Sade has 4. James Brown only earned 3 while music greats like Jimi Hendrix, Nas, Public Enemy, Biggie and 2Pac fail to even have one “sippy cup” to call theirs.

So what now? After all this blows over and all the posts have been written and the show has been analyzed from start to finish, what will we do now? Wait until the the next mainstream awards show to tweet and post our outrage and disdain yet again? Or perhaps wait until one of our shows like the NAACP Image Awards or BET Awards air to joke and laugh at how low-budget they are? Or will we start actually supporting our black artists and perhaps pass on a few checks if it means preserving the culture that our music was built on?  Hopefully we’ll start uplifting and supporting our black artists and not being so quick to label them “flops” or “irrelevant” when their sales don’t measure up to mainstream artists.

Thank you, India.Arie, for speaking out and telling the truth. It took courage and boldness to voice your opinions in an industry that frowns on individuality and the ability to think outside of the norm. Hopefully more of our black artists will have the courage to speak out and not only speak, but put actions behind their words. We can’t expect other races to bestow honors on us, if we don’t appreciate and honor ourselves. It starts at home. It starts with us.

• Upvote 1

While I have a hard time accepting Macklemore as the best rapper in the universe or Justin Timberlake for supposedly having last year’s best R&B song, there’s something about Lorde’s Grammy win that irks me even more.

It’s not that I have anything against Lorde. She’s unique, talented, and she’s still a kid after all. “Royals”, her chart-topping ode to those who will never live the life of pop music royalty, sounds like the musings of a typical, newly self-aware 17 year-old girl just coming into herself. When I first heard the song last summer, I was taken back by the idea of a pop singer taking shots at mainstream rap’s addiction to materialism, not because she was wrong in her criticism, but because the teenage pop vocalist didn’t strike me as the ideal spokesperson of the “anti-bling movement”.  Still, part of me found it slightly refreshing that a song with substance was climbing the charts.

As Royals rose in popularity, Lorde faced accusations of racism as some took issue with her lyrics that were believed to target African American artists.  She denied it, proclaimed her love of rap music, and said the song was merely a commentary on pop culture’s obsession with riches and fame.  Drama averted.  All was well again and the song continued to gain momentum.  I generally hop all over this type of story but for some reason, this one just didn’t pique my interest.  Being a Hip Hop head, heated discussions about excessive materialism in rap are old news and the pop tune wasn’t breaking any new grounds in my world.

Then the song shot to #1 this month on urban radio stations across the nation, the same ones that promote the kind of music Royals trashes. Well alrighty then.  Welcome to Bizarro World! With Justin, Robin, and Macklemore holding top chart positions as well, Lorde was in good company.  Coincidentally, Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop” poked fun at rappers’ obsession with the finer things in life a few months before Lorde did.  Do I detect a pattern here or am I just imagining things?

So the song’s playing all over the place.  The video has three quadrillion views on YouTube.  Young and old people are singing it.  Rappers like Rick Ross and Wale are hopping on official and unofficial remixes. It’s annoying as hell but Lorde deserves her 15 minutes of fame.  Then out of nowhere, the Go Go version drops.  WHAT THE? Well….good for you Lorde.  Keep rising to the top.

Man…this music business is something else.

With all this success, her Grammy win was inevitable.  But my problem isn’t with sweet little Lorde who’s just living out her dream.  My problem is with this manipulative industry that plays artists like pieces on a chessboard. It ignores the talents of some and promotes that of others to fulfill God-knows-what agenda. It took a 17 year-old girl from New Zealand to bring attention to a problem that’s been plaguing rap music for years while a 1000 rappers who have been trying to do the very same thing for the last two decades have been overlooked, silenced, and even mocked for being relics of a bygone Hip Hop era.  Even the mainstream rap industry who’s quick to ridicule conscious rappers for being too preachy welcomed Lorde and her “positive” message with open arms. The moral of the story is that the only way to make music with substance acceptable to the masses is to deliver it in a delicate little package over sparse kick drums and finger snaps. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Taylor Swift drops an anti-police brutality song.  Lorde knows we need it.

But then again, Darius Rucker won a Grammy for best Country Solo Performance so I guess we’re even.

• Upvote 1

:lol:

/

many black ppl are funny

instead of blaming themselves for macklemore winning, their blaming macklemore

black ppl are just excellent at being gd at certain things i.e sports, music etc but who owns them?

when someone else owns your talent, how can u tell them how sh*t goes down? 

and black ppl will have to come up with something new which unless we fully own it/control it, in time it will be white ppl's too

lol we

You might be white or Jewish but you ain't the 1% or part of the elite.

Don't cheer-lead. Its sad.

:/

on a good note,the grammys did let juicy j do his cameo , i was shocked,juicy is offiacally "mainstream accepted"

there is kids who think juicy j is a new artist

true but tbf his new found solo career success has put him in that  bracket

im jus surprised they let him in the building 29woebl.jpg

it cudda bin worse.................

dipset-grammys.jpg

on a good note,the grammys did let juicy j do his cameo , i was shocked,juicy is offiacally "mainstream accepted"

true but tbf his new found solo career success has put him in that bracket

dipset-grammys.jpg

he is miley cyrus and beibers inspiration

Trippy !

true but tbf his new found solo career success has put him in that  bracket

dipset-grammys.jpg

:lmao: pmsl these man actually bowled through in that. 

That was spilling back then. Less than a decade ago and all. MWAD.